Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How many megs available for apps, anyway?

Default How many megs available for apps, anyway?
    Just a quick question 'cause I haven't been able to find the answer. I found ways to move apps to a different location to gain MORE space but all I really want to know right now is just how much space is available for 3rd party apps if you DON'T move anything around?

I mean, I understand that the 1st partition (OS and apps) is set to 300 megs but how much of that is consumed by the OS and how much is left for apps?

I mean, I understand that the 1st partition (OS and apps) is set to 300 megs but how much of that is consumed by the OS and how much is left for apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPHoneHome View Post
    About 80Megs. (that's with the Stock Apps in place). Easiest thing to do is move your Applications folder to your Media partition (root) and symlink it. That way you'll have all the space you want.

There's a guide on moving your Apps folder in the Guides section.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    About 80Megs. (that's with the Stock Apps in place). Easiest thing to do is move your Applications folder to your Media partition (root) and symlink it. That way you'll have all the space you want.

There's a guide on moving your Apps folder in the Guides section.
    I looked at that guide - not sure I'm hardcore (or fearless) enough to do it. Unless you're saying that the answer to my question was there? Hmmm...I'll have to take another look, I guess.

Meanwhile, is that 80 megs left for 3rd party apps? 320 megs consumed by the OS and stock apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPHoneHome View Post
    Meanwhile, is that 80 megs left for 3rd party apps? 320 megs consumed by the OS and stock apps?
    About 220MB yes. Think about it, the crunched (zipped) firmware file is about 165MB
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

iPHoneHome (2008-01-30)