Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I install this app

Default How do I install this app
    Apologies for being noob,
    I have iphone 1.1.2, hacked for me in NZ, already came with Installer.app installed.
    But - how do I install a specific app, for instance http://www.iphoneskinning.com/2008/0...or-iphone.html
    scrabble app, I download it to pc, unzip it... then what exactly.
    Any help for a beginner here much appreciated.
    Thanks

I just installed Scrabble this morning.

Firstly, you'll need a jailbroken phone.

Then:

1. Use WinSCP or similar to access the phone.
    2. Navigate to the Applications folder.
    3. Having unzipped the Scrabble download, copy the scrabble.app folder into the applications folder on your phone.
    4. Change the permissions on 4 files in the scrabble.app folder to 0755. The files have extensions .plist and .js, from memory. (the files are obvious - you don't have to change permissions on the png files)
    5. Restart your phone.

If you are unsure about using WinSCP and changing permissions then search elsewhere. I've been deliberately vague as a little knowledge can sometimes be harmful to your iPhone!

When Scrabble appears on installer it'll be much simpler

Hi Rip,
    Thanks for that info, much appreciated.
    I installed WinSCP and got it working. I copied the extracted scrabble.zip to the applications folder on the phone, I changed permissions on the .plist and .js files to 0755. Restarted.
    It shows the scrabble icon, when I run it it says please wait loading dictionary and then after about 20 seconds it just goes back to the iphone home screen.
    Anything I'm doing wrong or something I missed?
    Cheers.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by BigMrC; 2008-01-25 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

someone has said u have to install Jiggy runtime on your iphone first..

just goto google and search for ' Jiggy runtime, iphone" and then fint its detail

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a jailbroke 1.1.3 phone, and installed jiggy, set the proper permissions, and it didn't work. I went back into installer, and "downgraded" jiggy runtime from 0.22 to 0.21, and now Scrabble works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I have a jailbroke 1.1.3 phone, and installed jiggy, set the proper permissions, and it didn't work. I went back into installer, and "downgraded" jiggy runtime from 0.22 to 0.21, and now Scrabble works fine.
    Can you help on this I have a jailbroke 1.1.3 phone and installed jiggy but I cant change permissions I have used Terminal, Finder and Squid but it will not change could you explain how you done yours

Cheers

Thanks

I use WinSCP to get inside the iPhone. That works for PC's. If you are on a MAC, then you need to SSH into the iPhone. Then you can change the permissions from within that app.

As I also mentioned, check which version of Jiggy runtime you have installed. For me, the newest version did not allow iScrabble to work. I needed to uninstall it, and install the previous (0.21) version.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tsatryan For This Useful Post:

puredarkness (2008-02-04)

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    I use WinSCP to get inside the iPhone. That works for PC's. If you are on a MAC, then you need to SSH into the iPhone. Then you can change the permissions from within that app.

As I also mentioned, check which version of Jiggy runtime you have installed. For me, the newest version did not allow iScrabble to work. I needed to uninstall it, and install the previous (0.21) version.
    Thanks that worked a treat

wow, perfect instructions! Many thanks!!

Thanks

Glad that worked for you guys. Happy scrabbling!