Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AFP or AFPd App on iPhone 3G

Default AFP or AFPd App on iPhone 3G
    I loved this app on my previous iPhones and would love to be able to use AFP to transfer information rather than SSH. Can anyone confirm if the program AFPd or similar works now on iPhone 3G 2.0 Software?

Thanks!

Not unless it was ported I dont think.... possible, but... something ud have to test.

that's what i thought... any idea where I can get a copy since I only have Cydia on my 3G now?

I grabbed this from my dad's 1.1.4 phone to try on my 2.0 phone. It doesn't work yet. Needs to be ported.

Damn, thanks for trying though

While AFPd is not ported yet, Netatalk is available in Cydia. I have installed Netatalk on my linux systems to share over afp with my macs and it works great.

It is not a simple app like AFPd and I have not yet installed it on my iPhone 3g but it should accomplish what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by lehighkid View Post
    While AFPd is not ported yet, Netatalk is available in Cydia. I have installed Netatalk on my linux systems to share over afp with my macs and it works great.

It is not a simple app like AFPd and I have not yet installed it on my iPhone 3g but it should accomplish what you are looking for.
    thanks, my biggest problem with cydia is the inability to uninstall applications

ive added it to my 3G but for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it to work or what other "components" I need to get it to work

Thanks

if yall on macintosh, install openssh on cydia..
    and then download a program called "cyberduck" onto your mac.
    this gives me no problems connecting your iphone+mac through SSH.

thanks for the suggestion... I've bene using FUGU instead of cyberduck for a while now. I like AFP better though since it requires no additional software on your mac and you view it through Finder

Quote Originally Posted by iNfEk View Post
    thanks for the suggestion... I've bene using FUGU instead of cyberduck for a while now. I like AFP better though since it requires no additional software on your mac and you view it through Finder
    Yeah, I was using fugu/rbrowser for awhile but I prefer finder/pathfinder to ssh.

In the terminal I can ssh via root/alpine wth no problems.

Netatalk can only login via mobile/alpine, root/alpine gives me a connection error.

Any info on remedying this is appreciated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

"my bigest problem with Cydia is the inability to uninstall programs"

Try going to changes/ packages find what you want to uninstall and uninstall it.

that should be manage/packages
    Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 2008-08-25 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default root cannot login
    hey ditto

have the same problem, it looks like this:
    AppleFileServer allow_root_login=1
    is needed, but im not sure where to enter it, maybe you will have better luck, i have tried niutil and dscl but both seem to be missing from the phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone xfsasx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tyl3rb1ck View Post
    hey ditto

have the same problem, it looks like this:
    AppleFileServer allow_root_login=1
    is needed, but im not sure where to enter it, maybe you will have better luck, i have tried niutil and dscl but both seem to be missing from the phone
    i too am having that problem,

I hope it gets fixed soon cause i want to use the appletalk rather than cyberduck or transmit

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dittoo View Post
    Yeah, I was using fugu/rbrowser for awhile but I prefer finder/pathfinder to ssh.

In the terminal I can ssh via root/alpine wth no problems.

Netatalk can only login via mobile/alpine, root/alpine gives me a connection error.

Any info on remedying this is appreciated.

Yep. Same here. Any solutions to this? It seems mounting via AFP is fantastic.
    Last edited by organik; 2008-08-29 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    Yep. Same here. Any solutions to this? It seems mounting via AFP is fantastic.
    I love AFP, but I think there are at least two good replacements for it in 2.0 (although I haven't tried them, I am still on 1.1.4 pwned). One is an AppStore app called Datacase, in iTunes it claims it can do AFP. The other one is DiskAid, which works great in 1.1.4 but should work also in 2.0. DiskAid does file transfer not wirelessly but when your iPhone is connected to the dock. It's actually (and obviously) much faster than AFP
    iPhone 2G Pwned 3.1.2
    MBP OSX 10.6.3

16. The Following User Says Thank You to marcoiac For This Useful Post:

organik (2008-08-29)