Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Showtime Video Recorder - App Talk ONLY!

Question Showtime Video Recorder - App Talk ONLY!
    Since the previous discussion was closed for veering way, way off-track, I thought I'd start a new one that ONLY dealt with this app, it's features, and it's future. Any credit/payment arguments can take place elsewhere. Fair enough devs and mods?

I'll start with a question and a tip I have:

QUESTION: lduncan,

If paying users save videos in the unique format today's version records in, is it reasonable to assume they can archive them and have a way to convert them in future to a viewable format? Or will the future "converter" only work inside the app with videos recorded under that version?

TIP: Since the video files are pretty large compared to the iPhone's storage capacity, being able to erase videos we don't want to save is undoubtedly a forthcoming feature in the app itself.

Until then, I've found MobileFinder's ability to delete files a decent workaround for erasing files you don't want taking up precious space. Very easy: just navigate to Showtime's Media folder, choose the one you want gone, click "File" and "Delete". Done and done!
    Last edited by jwcrash; 2008-01-07 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Added tip

Great app. Hope to see some nice updates soon - sound would be nice.

Wrong section
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent J. View Post
    Wrong section
    If you're right, I'm sure the mods will move it.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Thread moved.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    QUESTION: lduncan,

If paying users save videos in the unique format today's version records in, is it reasonable to assume they can archive them and have a way to convert them in future to a viewable format? Or will the future "converter" only work inside the app with videos recorded under that version?
    Basically the story with licenses received from donations at the moment is that you will receive updates without paying anything else (although you can if you want)

That means that once the compressor has been finished, it'll be in a free update, along with other additions.

You can copy the .vid files on or off the phone at will, rename them etc.

The file format is just a raw dump. So it's a binary file of bitmapped frames (320 x 427) and each pixel is represented by 4 bytes (1st byte Red, 2nd byte Green, 3rd byte Blue, 4th byte Alpha).

So anyone can take that file and process it on whatever they want to reproduce the video, if they really need to.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    Until then, I've found MobileFinder's ability to delete files a decent workaround for erasing files you don't want taking up precious space. Very easy: just navigate to Showtime's Media folder, choose the one you want gone, click "File" and "Delete". Done and done!
    Just note the way MobileFinder deletes a file. When you press delete, it only moves the file to MobileFinder's Trash folder. You still need to delete the same file in that folder.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (2008-01-07)

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    Just note the way MobileFinder deletes a file. When you press delete, it only moves the file to MobileFinder's Trash folder. You still need to delete the same file in that folder.
    Thanks for the tip! I did not know that extra step was required.

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    Ohh Thanks for that ... I have 0.5 gb more now on my hard drive

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

yo this app was stolen hes a thief and went behind a friends back to try and make it his own hes a punk and doesnt deserve any support on this he stole it from drunknbass im sure you all know him so talk to the real people and not this **
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2008-01-07 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Inappropriate

Thumbs down doink...
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    yo this app was stolen hes a thief and went behind a friends back to try and make it his own hes a punk and doesnt deserve any support on this he stole it from drunknbass im sure you all know him so talk to the real people and not this **
    Read the first post. Your opinion is not appropriate to this thread.

P.S. yo learn how to punctuate, spell...basically learn to write in general and perhaps people will pay more attention to what you have to say.

Clever way around the four-letter word ban, too.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2008-01-07 at 06:10 PM.

i offer reg codes that just happen to work on this app and search .. will keep an updated list on my site..

this is getting nasty...

haha im playin... but hey.. i suppose if the reg codes that work for my apps just happen to work for his, wouldnt be doing anything shady :P.. haha nm... sorry you can all discuss how great this app is and all that stuff now

Thumbs up It's all good
    Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    haha im playin... but hey.. i suppose if the reg codes that work for my apps just happen to work for his, wouldnt be doing anything shady :P.. haha nm... sorry you can all discuss how great this app is and all that stuff now
    You can rest assured everyone is pulling for you and looking forward to the 15th. My guess is Showtime is a temporary fix for those us of dying to have the next version of your app. Bottom line: you gave the community this top-shelf functionality first and no one's forgotten that.

lduncan, im interested to know, how small, you think you will be able to make video files in the near future, say.. per minute for example? would be how many MB?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    lduncan, im interested to know, how small, you think you will be able to make video files in the near future, say.. per minute for example? would be how many MB?
    Roughly 45MB / minute is achievable in the sort term with non-real time post record compression on the phone. That's still a huge video file. But if we ever crack the hardware h264 encoding then it's going to be a significantly lower than that.

dont worry, I will make sure everyone gets the license key for free. I'll host it on my own web server, just need someone to send it to me. First person im sending it to is drunknbass, so he can do with it what he pleases.

P.S. it seems like the code isnt all you stole...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../showtime.html
    Last edited by milsapm; 2008-01-10 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

quit pulling each others hair and just get us a real working video capture app....I feel like i'm back in school watching a cat fight. You both got skills, So f&ck what everybody else is saying and get to it NERDS....Your all we have in this world because Apple is a bunch of assH&^es and screwed us all. They probably read this sh*t and laugh at all of us fighting with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by milsapm View Post
    dont worry, I will make sure everyone gets the license key for free. I'll host it on my own web server, just need someone to send it to me. First person im sending it to is drunknbass, so he can do with it what he pleases.

P.S. it seems like the code isnt all you stole...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos.../showtime.html
    Yea, hook Bass up.....and then hook us up. I dont know these guys, so it sucks sticking up for either one but Bass did give us something first that nobody else could do. Then all of a sudden after he releases a sample somebody else pops up with one after all this time. I do believe Bass came up with it and somebody else played off of it from there....But what the hell can we do but wait.
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 2008-01-10 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

anyone know how to download showtime video through a SSH (like Fugu or duck?)