Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help! Categories messed up my iphone

big boss please help me!!!

im on 1.1.4 and jailbroken using ziphone. i installed categories and i wanted to go back to the normal setting and now im missing (installed) and (iphonerecorder).

i tried doing this... (If you have iphonebrowser installed copy /var/root/Library/Categories/N45AP.plist to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app overwriting the one in that folder. Restart your phone and you should have your original display back.) but i cant even see the categories folder?

how do i go back to how it was before?! can i just restore with itunes?
    Last edited by supremexjdm; 2008-05-12 at 02:56 PM.

yes i am having the same problem as supremexjdm im trying to find the backed up version through ssh but categories has been removed from the directory var/root/Library/ so i cannot find the backup file. i have tried using the available stock M68AP.plist file but that hasn't worked... need help urgently please!

I also need to know whether it is the M68AP.plist that is the problem or the N45AP.plist? or even both?

I was actually following the instructions that were posted on how to configure the smb theme VistaPerfection 2.0 (which tells you to make up a range if different categories and put most of your apps into them.) After i did that all was fine except my games category folder was gone. so i decided not to bother with any category folders and went into categories and deleted all the apps out of the folders and then all the folders themselves. the actual categories app was in one of those folders so i'm thinking thats why i cant see it in the directory. i also may have played around with some of the configuration settings in categories to see if i could make the games folder appear but that didn't work so this may have also changed the 'allow hidden icons' (not sure if that's exactly what it's called) option and possibly even the botton option about the .plists.

I really just want everything back to normal please answer urgently thanks again.
    Last edited by mikeelaugesen; 2008-05-22 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Adding more info

I tried Categories, didnt like it and so removed it... now its hidden my Photos application and possibly more I cant remember... how can I get it back!?
    Cheers

1.1.4 Jailbroken + unlocked iPhone with the latest version of categories.

I think its missing one other Application and it has an extra icon for 'Contacts' which wasn't there before.

Ok I managed to get my photos app back by reinstalling then adding add the apps to one category then removing them, then uninstalling.. but now I have loads of apps which should be hidden.. demo apps etc.. how can I hide them again?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    I added an update today that disables (by default) the option for categories to modify the display order to add or remove icons. With this disabled, it will no longer mess up your phone, but you will need to use customize to hide/unhide icons you add to categories. I put a configuration screen in and you can enable the option if you are ok with the risks until they are fixed. I also added a customize shortcut so you can launch it conveniently from the categories main app. Temporarily removed the edit button on the categories individual launchers until stability issue is solved.
    Hi!
    Sorry to bother you...
    But maybe you are the only on eto help me on this...
    I installed Boss Tool on my 1.1.4 iphone
    After clicking on free up space...I lost many icons from all of my pages...
    Where did they go?
    How can I find them?
    I am not a programmer ... I just need some instructions on how to find all my "lost" apps (incl. boss tool). I suppose there were not uninstalled...just moved...but the icons moved also...So where can I find them and "show" them again on my screen?

Please repy!!

Thank you in advance!

tzamko

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

try poof... Maybe they r just hidden

THANKS dmighty!!!
    I tried poof...
    Nice...
    But it is not this...

so i organized all my tools like cydia,winterboard e.t.c into a Tools folder all ok.
    resprang all ok.
    decided to change icon of the Tools folder - BIG Mistake !!
    The Tools folder has now disappeared and also the catagories icon and I cannot find a way of getting my tools back.

And my SSH has stoppped working....HELP please......:-(
    iPhone v 2.1 ( not 3G )

SSH has reappeared, anything I can do to get cydia, winterboard e.t.c. back ?
    Last edited by macgerry; 2008-09-23 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macgerry View Post
    so i organized all my tools like cydia,winterboard e.t.c into a Tools folder all ok.
    resprang all ok.
    decided to change icon of the Tools folder - BIG Mistake !!
    The Tools folder has now disappeared and also the catagories icon and I cannot find a way of getting my tools back.

And my SSH has stoppped working....HELP please......:-(
    iPhone v 2.1 ( not 3G )

SSH has reappeared, anything I can do to get cydia, winterboard e.t.c. back ?
    First of all, I've learned its not a good idea to stuff Cydia into a folder just in case. Do you have poof or BossPrefs installed? if so , you can attempt to unhide the icons.

I too was having no ssh issues because of vartious installation issues however what I did to get it back was to quickpwn and select install Cydia. You will need to unhide the icon first. All your other stuff will stay the same.

I still have not figured out what totally was wrong but whenever SSH would not connect, it also would not allow my wifi to connect either even though the wifi bars were up and all settings were there. It was very intermittent, until for some odd reason i decided to "renew lease" in wifi. All of a sudden my IP changed which was odd because it was the same since I got the iPhone. Well after that, it seems to be working great.

If you can't unhide your icons, you will need to restore and repwn.

In the future, with Categories, always empty the folders before making global changes to the folder.

I am having the same issue as mcgerry, as I inteligently upgraded my 3G to 2.1 without taking out cydia and installer from their folders. Now I can't ssh (can't install open ssh) to fix the problem. I can restore, quickpwn and start fresh, but I would like to use the settings in my backup. Is threre a way to ssh into the phone or install Cydia so it shows up on the springboard? Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Talking Help here too iPhone OS 2.1 w/Winterboard and Categories 2.18
    Hi from Adam in NYC

Have the original iPhone up to 2.0.2 with Winterboard and had Categories 2.18 working. Moved apps from Apple and Cydia and installer around quite a bit around including Photo and Camera and Categories into folders. Moved Mail into a folder called AppleApps.

Then upgraded to 2.1. Lost all the folders and lost access to all the stuff to /dev/null. Installed apps from Apple get reinstalled but you can't see them because they were moved into the folders that are all gone and there is no other access thru the Summerboard. Seems that all the other stuff is in some plist other then Summerboard (winterboards, i guess).

Hey BigBoss, you did a great app. Kudos to you.

I think though we need to know a few things like how get all the hidden apps back when Poof and your own App Categories does not recover the old Apps folders.

Please consider writing a forensic recovery app so we all dont have to put all our apps and info back manually , which takes most of a afternoon. After the third time, it becomes a chore.

Received an email.

This will explain it:
    How To Restore Your 2.1 Backup | iPhone News, Help and Guides
    How To Upgrade In iTunes | iPhone News, Help and Guides

BigBoss
    [email protected]

Enable and disable restrictions did the trick. Thank you very much for the tip.
    Last edited by Adam in NYC USA; 2008-10-30 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam in NYC USA For This Useful Post:

Blondini (2009-09-01)

Please I need some big help here. I upgraded to 2.2 and forgot to remove all my apps from categories, now I have no icon and can't get categories to load! I can access SSH though.

Smile Possible solution, one worked.
    So i had same issue today. I just installed 2.2 and erased my apps that i had in folder (including settings) and i just had to manuall back up my date and do as if my phone had never been jailbroken before to create the image with pwnage tool. Then set up my iphone as a new phone in itunes.

ANOTHER solution that i was considering trying is to add source for bigboss in pwnage tool for cyndia and select categories to intall in the image. This might get your folders back, not sure though. Too add the bigboss source check this links Bigboss source for Pwnage? - Mac Forums and BigBoss source - iPod touch Fans forum Let me now if that helps.

Here's a 'quick & dirty' if you need to get your icons back after upgrading:
    If you can ssh, do it. If not, on the mac you can use DiskAid, with the usb cable.
    Go to:
    /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences
    Copy the file com.apple.springboard.plist to your desktop.
    Look for the section SBParentalControlsApplications
    All the hidden apps are listed there. You can just delete that whole section to get all the icons back, or look for the specific app that you want back.
    Save the file, copy it back to the iPhone & replace.
    Restart iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    If you can ssh, do it. If not, on the mac you can use DiskAid, with the usb cable.
    Go to:
    All the hidden apps are listed there. You can just delete that whole section to get all the icons back, or look for the specific app that you want back.
    Restart iPhone.
    I was able to fix it using this method! Thank you! For those of you who don't have SSH on your phone or a Mac, there is a windows version of DiskAid as well that you can use to access the files on your phone. Pretty kickass really! I don't know why you would need SSH if you have this. I'm sure there's some benefit I'm not aware of though.

When I edited the file jrentzke mentioned though, I just wanted to get my Cydia icon back to install Poof. However, when I removed the Cydia entry, everything came back! So, hopefully this continues well and doesn't cause some type of problem down the road : )

Update: I'm thinking that I probably edited that file incorrectly, forcing the iPhone to revert to the default version of that file, because all of my icon positionings, like the dock items, were back at the default. Whatever though, as long as it's fixed : )
    Last edited by greystone227; 2009-01-07 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greystone227 View Post
    Update: I'm thinking that I probably edited that file incorrectly, forcing the iPhone to revert to the default version of that file, because all of my icon positionings, like the dock items, were back at the default. Whatever though, as long as it's fixed : )
    Yeah, I should have mentioned about setting the permissions again. If SpringBoard sees the wrong permissions on that plist, it creates a new, default one.

Thumbs up Categories the great app
    I really love Categories, it's an essential idea that Apple forgot.

The Categories editor crashes on me too - usually when either hitting DONE, or when adding a new app to a category.

I also had my worst crash today - after Categories editor hung, I reset my iphone (2.2), and upon reboot, all the apps that were in the categories were back on my desktop, which now contained 8 pages..

To try to fix things, I removed all apps from folders, uninstalled Categories, re-installed it, and re-added all the apps. It still shows some apps that are in categories on the desktop. So I'm going to apply Poof when I'm done putting everything back into categories.

I had installed Winterboard yesterday, perhaps that's what caused the removal of the hidden status of these apps? I don't know.

I just wanted to thank Categories' author too, he has been very responsive and helpful.

-turgut

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tkalfaoglu For This Useful Post:

crashnburn_in (2009-01-21)

Bug: Categories & POOF Apps FREEZE when scrolling to many Apps in list

Categories App dies on me when scrolling to the bottom of the apps list to add them to a Category.

The same thing happens in POOF (to hide apps) when I try to go to the bottom of the apps list to Hide bunch of apps.

I think this is happening when there are too many apps in the list.

Now issue I face is that during some Categories crash, somehow all the Apps that were INSIDE their Categories got "Unhidden" also on the main springboard.

So my Categories Apps were present inside the right Categories but a copy of the same was also on the SpringBoard in some page.

Since, this cause a lot of overflow and unorganized App Icons on SBoard, I went into POOF to go and HIDE all possible Apps that I wont be using from SBoard but only from inside Categories.

During this, when I try to scroll "towards" the bottom of the list.. The POOF app FREEZES on me and I cant do anything.

Please advise what to do?

Is there any other way to change the Categories / POOF - Flags & Settings that put them into a Categories Icon and "Hides" them from SBoard?

Maybe like copy from settings file from iPhone to PC change FLAGs and then push back.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tkalfaoglu View Post
    I really love Categories, it's an essential idea that Apple forgot.

The Categories editor crashes on me too - usually when either hitting DONE, or when adding a new app to a category.

I also had my worst crash today - after Categories editor hung, I reset my iphone (2.2), and upon reboot, all the apps that were in the categories were back on my desktop, which now contained 8 pages..

To try to fix things, I removed all apps from folders, uninstalled Categories, re-installed it, and re-added all the apps. It still shows some apps that are in categories on the desktop. So I'm going to apply Poof when I'm done putting everything back into categories.

I had installed Winterboard yesterday, perhaps that's what caused the removal of the hidden status of these apps? I don't know.

I just wanted to thank Categories' author too, he has been very responsive and helpful.

-turgut
    Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    Go to:
    Restart iPhone.
    I WOULD INFACT LIKE all the Icons that are in SOME OR THE OTHER CATEGORY to be Hidden from SB.. When infact I have a whole bunch of them VISIBLE. So I had to manually go in POOF and Hide Each one.

PROBLEM is that POOF ..FREEZES as I try to get to the bottom of the LIST of Apps.

Same stuff used to happen with Categories as it would FREEZE in the middle.

Is there a better way to manage this? Any ideas?

I sent a PM to BigBoss. Please respond.
    Last edited by crashnburn_in; 2009-01-22 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs up Solution Hope it works
    Select Settings of the Iphone. Then enter General Settings . Choose
    Restrictions. Activate and add a password of your own to remember
    (e.g. 1234). Then deactivate and "Eureka" the icons are back.
    Write back please if this solution helped you.
    Last edited by vgpp; 2009-01-30 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgpp View Post
    Select Settings of the Iphone. Then enter General Settings . Choose
    Restrictions. Activate and add a password of your own to remember
    (e.g. 1234). Then deactivate and "Eureka" the icons are back.
    Write back please if this solution helped you.
    I dont know if you got me.

I DO NOT WANT THE ICONS to be VISIBLE.

I WANT THEM TO BE HIDDEN INSIDE THE CATEGORIES.

If an Icon is added to a Category I want it hidden there forever until I remove it.

Does your solution HIDE them or UnHide them.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast