Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bible App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Post Bible App
    can someone make an app that has the bible in it. Even if its just the new testament..?

I'm laughing so hard, I think I just peed a bit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

why are you laughing?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daerid For This Useful Post:

samhutto (2007-08-12)

I thought "...even if it's just the new testament...?" was hilarious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to snuwoods For This Useful Post:

samhutto (2007-08-12)

Maybe he's laughing because even "just the new testament" is fairly huge. But anyways I think this is an awesome idea for an app. It could prove to be tremendously useful. I'd donate to the developer, and whoever else would do the same post and maybe there might be enough interest to catch a developers eye.
    BluewoodBoarder!

8g iPhone, 2 GHz Core Duo (black) MacBook w/ 2gigs of ram..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bluewoodboarder For This Useful Post:

samhutto (2007-08-12)

That would be a nice app. Com'on devs, get on it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JedixJarf For This Useful Post:

samhutto (2007-08-12)

yes that would be so cool

Quote Originally Posted by samhutto View Post
    can someone make an app that has the bible in it. Even if its just the new testament..?
    I just bookmarked biblegateway.com
    It actually works quite well on the iphone... You can enter multiple verses, its already streamlined, so loads very quickly, and ypu can choose a ton of translations (which is always nice ro have, I found).

And when you double-click on the versus, the browser zooms in very nicely. You can see a large block of text when holding vertically, and you get a very clear view when holding horizontally...

yes but edge is sometimes so slow it would be great to have a true app

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyt View Post
    I just bookmarked biblegateway.com
    It actually works quite well on the iphone... You can enter multiple verses, its already streamlined, so loads very quickly, and ypu can choose a ton of translations (which is always nice ro have, I found).

And when you double-click on the versus, the browser zooms in very nicely. You can see a large block of text when holding vertically, and you get a very clear view when holding horizontally...
    That's a good site. I use it on my work and home computer all the time.

However, one of the reasons I want it is to use in church or out and about and there's not always a wifi network in range and also not always an AT&T signal in range.

I was at a church the other day trying to use it and I couldn't get a signal in the sanctuary.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us an APP!!! I WOULD pay for it!

using mojtis i added their boble app. (its linked to http://tall.mountainmighty.com) and it uses the KJV (the best) and also have the book of mormon , peral of great price and other if they are your cup of tea. Works very well as I use it every Sunday because I still can't seem to rember to bring my bible. Man I love my iPhone more and more
    Last edited by itchy11jr; 2007-08-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: mispelling (prob didn't spell that right)

That'd be great. Hope someone develops it.
    I am The One.

I'm just wondering out loud but it seems like there would be 1,000 possible ideas that'd provide more value than this....

That depends on your point of view

Point of view has nothing to do with this. It's a silly request. I have nothing against religion being a Christian myself but simply asking for a bible app closes the door on other on other religions and more importantly, leaves you only with a limited app. You should broaden the scope of what you want, which is a book in you iPhone. So the correct request would have been an ebook reader, which amazingly, was posted on these forums today:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399

Now all you need to do is find the bible or new testament in the format asked on that thread. I did a bit of googling and found this site:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

It has a ton of results if you search for "bible" so take your pick and follow the ebook thread guide to have your bible on your iphone.

Hope that helped.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

samhutto (2007-08-14), snuwoods (2007-08-14)

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Good call noodle boy. A Bible app would still be cool, I agree, but a Bible eBook works pretty much just as well, and is already available. Nice.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Point of view has nothing to do with this. It's a silly request. I have nothing against religion being a Christian myself but simply asking for a bible app closes the door on other on other religions and more importantly, leaves you only with a limited app. You should broaden the scope of what you want, which is a book in you iPhone. So the correct request would have been an ebook reader, which amazingly, was posted on these forums today:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2399

Now all you need to do is find the bible or new testament in the format asked on that thread. I did a bit of googling and found this site:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

It has a ton of results if you search for "bible" so take your pick and follow the ebook thread guide to have your bible on your iphone.

Hope that helped.
    Your answer is somewhat limited in scope as well. This option offers no pdf support, no searching, no hot linking (in the future for commentaries, dictionaries, etc.) It seems that our request for a Bible app is not as short sighted as you believed if your answer is a simple book reader.

That being said, I certainly would settle for a simple copy of the Bible on my iPhone for now, but not at all satisfied with that.

I guess so. Sorry if I sounded like an ***, it's hard not to when dealing with the 3 (religion, politics, and sex). I guess I can see the uses of a proper bible app but I think at this point in time people are still tinkering with the other technical aspects the iPhone can provide for possible 3rd party apps. Not saying that the bible or any other book isn't a priority in everyone's mind, I personally just don't see it as one. Then again I don't code so my opinion means little.

You mentioned PDF support. If you have the bible on .pdf format you can use a box account (box.net) to load it up there and then use their iphone app (i.box.net) to load up the pdf file. It's simple and has no real functions like search (not sure about hot-linking) but that's another possibility.

Also the guy making finder.app is trying to get proper .pdf support so keep an eye out for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I guess so. Sorry if I sounded like an ***, it's hard not to when dealing with the 3 (religion, politics, and sex). I guess I can see the uses of a proper bible app but I think at this point in time people are still tinkering with the other technical aspects the iPhone can provide for possible 3rd party apps. Not saying that the bible or any other book isn't a priority in everyone's mind, I personally just don't see it as one. Then again I don't code so my opinion means little.

You mentioned PDF support. If you have the bible on .pdf format you can use a box account (box.net) to load it up there and then use their iphone app (i.box.net) to load up the pdf file. It's simple and has no real functions like search (not sure about hot-linking) but that's another possibility.

Also the guy making finder.app is trying to get proper .pdf support so keep an eye out for that too.
    I definitely understand the big 3--my momma always told me not to bring them up! haha

I use my box account for that kind of stuff and it's great. However, that still puts us at having to use wifi (or God forbid-Edge--my mouth feels dirty just mumbling it ) to access it. If I could do that then I could just use biblegateway.com or some other site.

I do understand your point about technology and where people are putting their efforts but c'mon, they even have an installable app for tic-tac-toe!

Surely we can compare apples to apples!

hey, while you guys are at it... how bout a Torah app, a Koran app, and a Mahabharata app? And if you have the time, anything by L. Ron Hubbard?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast