Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Wireless For AM/FM Radio

Talking iPhone Wireless For AM/FM Radio
    So I was sitting here tinkering with the iRadio app and began to wonder if it was possible to use the internal "airport" card of the iPhone to receive AM/FM radio signals... I mean lets face it iRadio is sweet but there are times when you just wanna listen to local radio right? So if any developers out there could clue me in or if an app already exists could ya'll let me know...

theses kind of things get me REALLY excited about hacking!!!
    I need a whip in Halo 3!!! One With a scope on it so's I can crack some jerk in the eye after carefully aiming it!

as far as i know that is absolutly not possible not to ruin your excitement. However it would be cool if someone collected all the internet streems and could somewhat simulate fm/am but every area is different so...
    hey julianqm2 i stand by my claim thanks for being an ***
    Last edited by Erix18; 2007-12-28 at 05:20 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erix18 View Post
    as far as i know that is absolutly not possible not to ruin your excitement. However it would be cool if someone collected all the internet streems and could somewhat simulate fm/am but every area is different so...
    actually it is possible... one of apple apps that is locked in the fone and to be activated by a future update is a fm radio....
    If i helped hit Thanks!

Thanks

dAMN, NEXT I HOPE IT HAS A CD PLAYER...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by julianqm2 View Post
    actually it is possible... one of apple apps that is locked in the fone and to be activated by a future update is a fm radio....
    I would like some proof on this claim.

i was thinking of creating an am/fm dongle to connect to the dock, the units could be made for pretty cheap.. maybe $30 to the consumer after all is said and done

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runningwild View Post
    I would like some proof on this claim.
    here you go...

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2007/07/iphone-firmware.html
    If i helped hit Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol that dont mean ****. Just means they had/have plans to release a radio add on. There is NO WAY for a AM/FM radio to work with whats already inside the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    i was thinking of creating an am/fm dongle to connect to the dock, the units could be made for pretty cheap.. maybe $30 to the consumer after all is said and done
    wow that would be great

i would buy one if you can make it !

cheers,

pirrup

And why couldn't the file (com.apple.mobileradio.plist) screenshot in the link you provided mean WiFi Radio, or Bluetooth Radio? After all, when you get right down to it, both WiFi and BT are basically "radios". I think some of you guys are seeing stuff that's not there.

Next you're going to ask how you activate the camera flash feature.
    Search NAZI

hey I was just dreaming... I mean, isnt that what Apple products are all about?
    I need a whip in Halo 3!!! One With a scope on it so's I can crack some jerk in the eye after carefully aiming it!

rodinman
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Oxygen View Post

Next you're going to ask how you activate the camera flash feature.
    How do you activate that anyway..lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rodinman For This Useful Post:

p*ssed_off_all_the_time (2008-01-02)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rodinman View Post
    How do you activate that anyway..lol
    Open the phone app and type *#51808008*, and turn the phone upside down. the radio app should appear. Only tested this on 1.1.2
    Last edited by redcard; 2007-12-27 at 01:16 PM.
    To live, you have to lie

if the box doesn't say "fm receiver" then there IS NO WAY TO RECIEVE FM RADIO!

though, i read an article about the next chip for the iphone which should be able to support fm transmitting and recieving, 5mp camera, and bluetooth 2.0 so i got an ipod touch instead

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tavillo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Open the phone app and type *#51808008*, and turn the phone upside down. the radio app should appear. Only tested this on 1.1.2
    has anyone test this on a 1.1.1??

Quote Originally Posted by taxbax View Post
    if the box doesn't say "fm receiver" then there IS NO WAY TO RECIEVE FM RADIO!
    well the box doesn't say the phone comes with a lot of things... ie video recording, yet we know for a fact that there is a developer that has cracked this... when i posted this i was just dreaming out loud any way...

Quote Originally Posted by drunknbass View Post
    hell yes i too would buy one for 30 shinangos?!?!?!
    Last edited by garrettcumber; 2007-12-29 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I suspect that either there is an FM tuner or that there were plans for an FM tuner but it never made it...now, I'm not sure if FM means simply frequency modulated (cell phone stuff?) or if it's talking about the specific FM radiostation frequencies.

Here is what you can find by looking in the MeCCA framework. It is a list of routing devices. You can delve into the binary yourself with a text editor to see these things...

Routing devices

* ignore
    * device.none
    * device.microphone
    * device.linein
    * device.headset
    * device.headsetBT
    * device.headphones
    * device.headphonesBT
    * device.lineout
    * device.persistentlineout
    * device.speaker
    * device.receiver
    * device.fmtuner
    * device.tty
    * device.usb

I don't think anyone has figured out how to directly route stuff yet. There are methods that can be called, but it seems that access to this stuff is blocked. Funiculus (microphone based guitar tuner) works because it tricks one of Apple's classes to do the routing from the microphone, but I don't know of any equivalent for the device.fmtuner.
    JLA

Quote Originally Posted by JLA View Post
    Routing devices

* ignore
    * device.none
    * device.microphone
    * device.linein
    * device.headset
    * device.headsetBT
    * device.headphones
    * device.headphonesBT
    * device.lineout
    * device.persistentlineout
    * device.speaker
    * device.receiver
    * device.fmtuner
    * device.tty
    * device.usb
    The 12th one down: device.receiver is one particularly that grabs my attention; as i seem to believe that this could refer to an fm receiver... though it more likely would be a cellular routing code more than any thing...

still; i can't help but feel like there is the small possibility that the fm tuner could be in place

My guess for device.receiver is that it is a telephone receiver (i.e. the ear part/slit above the screen) that is absent on the iPod touch.

But I'm not sure why your attention was grabbed by the receiver...the FM tuner device is probably everything you are looking and hoping for. Now that I think about it, tuners are only for reception...so I doubt it has anything to do with the cellular phone component.

So here are my three refined guesses:
    1). The iPhone has a FM tuner in it (which would make sense...they are generally very inexpensive pieces of hardware...they sell pens with FM tuners in them for less than 3 U.S dollars in the local pharmacy...not sure what kind of power/size restrictions though).
    2). It was a possibility, or still is, but is absent from the current iPhone model--the developers went ahead and left the relevant little designation in the code.
    3). There will be future FM peripherals that plug into the iPhone that already have some sort of protocol for communicating with the phone.

i guess because the tuner is one thing but the receiver grabs the signal... the tuner adjusts to different frequencies... so to me that said: if there is a "receiver" then the "tuner" is a given and it was the first thing i saw
    Last edited by garrettcumber; 2007-12-30 at 01:01 AM.