Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Strange Wifi Problem - installer.app suddenly not refreshing

Exclamation Strange Wifi Problem - installer.app suddenly not refreshing
    Last night there was update to Bosspref's and I installed that without any problem. I probably even refreshed sources a few times after that.

This morning I can surf the web on Safari and download my Gmail on mail.app but when I try to run installer.app, it doesn't even start to refresh sources. It just sits there with an empty bar and after a really long time it finally times out.

MobileRSS.app doesnt seem to want to refresh feeds either. So it almost seems like whatever the problem I'm having is only with certain protocals / ports. Because other stuff is working.

I have done all of the basic troubleshooting - reset my cable modem and wireless router. I removed Bossprefs.app and I've rebooted my Touch.

Any ideas? I hope this is some rogue problem and not something the Bossprefs update caused. I'm not in the mood today for a restore.

Thanks

Ive been having the same problem with installer.....I think its because of all the sources out there now.....theres so many....it was alot better when everybody summited to one source...and not 20 other ones.....but you have to now just to make sure you get the right updates.....sucks but what can we do.....im just a pawn in this chess game

Yeah, that's definately a problem. Which is why I try to keep my sources at the bare minimum of the ones I actually need -- as opposed to being a Sources fanboi / collector and installing every single one regardless of whether it's a language I can read or it only contains a single ebook of the Weight Waters Cookbook and a Smurfs Summerboard theme. :P

My installer refresh isnt working at all. No progress on the progress bar at all. Either the Bossprefs update screwed something up or my ISP is having problems with packet prioritization and only certain protocals are being affected.

Thanks

try to diisconnect from your router on iphone then turn off phone then your home pc then reset modem and router...then turn iphone back on and connect to router...then turn back on your pc.....see if they swap IP ADDRESSES.....then try...IM SORRY I MEANT YOUR ITOUCH

I think this may be an ISP problem with Charter in St. Louis. Some websites I can hit fine, others I cant hit at all or they're very slow (regardless of a ping that's completely clean to the same website.)

But I cant even get to DSLreports.com to see if anyone else is having probs.

Thanks

so you live in saint louis.....im right off 44 and lindbergh....my charter is fine here

Take Out Your Router And Connect Straight To Your Modem And Then See...
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 2007-12-13 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by stlcaddie View Post
    so you live in saint louis.....im right off 44 and lindbergh....my charter is fine here

Take Out Your Router And Connect Straight To Your Modem And Then See...
    Yeah, I'm not far from 44 and Lindbergh. A stone's throw from Big Bend and 270 where I am. It finally occurred to me to open up a VPN connection to my work in Chesterfield and route all of my Internet traffic out over their gateway and now I can at least get to websites.

In fact, I was able to get to DSLReports.com to see this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r191...Area~start=260

Charter had a maintenance window last night that has run into this morning. And they're sending all of their traffic out over QWest while they do the work, and thus the problem. Run a traceroute to Google.com and you'll probably see the same.

I just made an interesting discovery. The Touch and Iphone both have a built-in VPN client. So in addition to setting up my home PC to route through a VPN and out over my work's Internet gateway, I was able to set up my Touch to do the same. Other than circumventing Charter's issues, I cant really think of use for VPN'ing into my work on my Touch - at least not until someone develops a Terminal Services Client, or Apple builds better Microsoft Exchange support into the Mail.app
    Last edited by myboot; 2007-12-13 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to myboot For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (2007-12-13)

Default installer not refreshing
    Quote Originally Posted by myboot View Post
    I think this may be an ISP problem with Charter in St. Louis. Some websites I can hit fine, others I cant hit at all or they're very slow (regardless of a ping that's completely clean to the same website.)

But I cant even get to DSLreports.com to see if anyone else is having probs.
    i'm having the same problem. Diferent ISP. Didn't install anything last night.

Any ideas why is this happening?

same issue here in NY, but on the third try I let it sit for like 5mins & the sources finally refreshed

Thanks

I had been experiencing the same. I looked into my sources list and saw that I had an old outdated source listed for iSwitcher. I deleted the old source and replaced it with the new link and that solved about 90% of the refresh issues i was having.

The other thing i noticed was that if auto lock is on, the iPhone will sometime lock itself before the refresh is complete and that seems to stall things. If I either set the screen to never lock or just keep touching the screen while its refreshing it will go better.

The refresh really doesn't freeze, but it sometimes gets stopped at various places. Just be patient and it will get moving again.

I have been trying for 3 days to get mine to refresh it has sat for an hour and don't even get a quarter of the way thru and im useing wifi.

mine does yhis all the time unplug and replug your modem and it will fix it right up
    8GB Apple iPhone