Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: limitation on number of applications installed and sync crashes...

Exclamation iPhone crash due to Apple BT headset USB dock/cable and too many apps
    Two things:
    First my iPhone went into an endless cycle of SpringBoard crashing after I installed some apps. It turns out that if you have more than about 80 apps installed, SpringBoard crashes on launch. I'm not sure if there's a limit on 5 pages of Applications and that going beyond that causes the crash, or if there's something else. Since ssh isn't affected by this, you can still slogin into your iPhone, move apps out of the /Applications folder, and issue a reboot command. Things are back to normal after that. You can then go into the Installer.app, move the apps back via slogin session, and then deinstall properly some apps. This way, when you quit Installer.app, all is again OK, yet you won't end up with a corrupted installer database.

Second, I now have my iPhone up to 1.1.2, my icons reordered, the apps installed I like, etc. all seems fine, so I want to set up syncing. The moment I hook up the dock connector cable to the USB port: BOOM, endless cycle of SpringBoard crashes, and worse, this affects if the iPhone is recognized by iTunes, so the phone shows up, goes away, shows up, goes away, etc. so no sync is possible. Anyone has a clue?
    I first thought that maybe the syncing triggers the same problem as listed above, and deleted some more apps, but that didn't help, so it seems unrelated.

So now, my phone works fine, but I can't sync!

Ronald
    Last edited by rcfa; 2007-12-20 at 09:11 AM. Reason: New title for thread descriptive of new findings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

try this.

It gives you more space for apps. Might fix your problem.

thanks for the hint. I did something similar a while ago, except I just moved individual apps and symlinked them back into the Applications folder. Does the same thing, but is less drastic and leaves the Apple apps where they are.

However, that only solves an issue with running out of space on the file system, which isn't the problem here from what I can tell

The first point has to do with the data structures or the number of screens. The same thing happens if I have a bunch of small apps or a bunch of big apps, so the "disk" space used has no effect on the first issue, which for the time being I simply solved by deleting some apps I hardly use anyway and were just collecting digital dust.

However the sync issue remains, and since things start crashing the moment I plug-in the USB cable, and before I tell anything to start syncing, it also shouldn't be file system space related.
    Something with whatever extension or demon responsible for USB/DockConnector and how it interfaces to SpringBoard and the rest of the system is the trouble.

Ronald

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

maybe it has something to do with itunes looking at your apps.

Im not sure.

I know this may be annoying and a big time hog, try to restore your phone and rehack it. Maybe somewhere along the line something went wrong. Maybe an App was the cause of the problem and uninstalling it didnt remove all of the traces of the App.

Another idea. Try uninstalling all of the apps, then reinstalling them one by one and syncing the iphone to the pc so if it is some sort of rogue app that doesnt work fully or something

What firmware is your iphone running?

Currently I'm on 1.1.2, but no unlocked SIM and activated through AT&T, so aside form jailbreaking and adding third party apps, it's fully legit.

I'll try to see if I can debug some of that from the Terminal tomorrow.
    I'm rather reluctant to restart from scratch, because this aside, the phone is finally stable and set up just like I want it to be. 1.1.1 had constant crashers, plus it wouldn't allow me to rearrange all the app icons past the first screen
    Now all that works, and I haven't had a crash in normal operations in days.

Just syncing is the hook, so I'll try to fix that by other means, if possible...

If I find something, I'll post it here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it may have something to do with being on 1.1.2. There are some apps that dont work fully on 1.1.2. So I think it is an application that is making the error

OK, I'm closer now. I turns out, this only happens if I use the USB cable that has the Apple Bluetooth headset charging slot. If I use a regular USB to dock connector cable all is fine.

So either
    a) that cable is busted, it acted kind of funny from the day I got it, or
    b) there's something about that cable (built-in hub?) that makes the iPhone go crazy.

In any case, for now, at least I can sync normally by doing without that cable. Not sure how that's going to work out when travelling. I guess, I'll go to the Apple store, and tell them what's going on. Maybe I get a new cable to try it with. Of course, I can't really tell them that the phone is modded, or else they'll refuse to do anything just on that grounds, which is silly...
    Anyway, if you have trouble with the BT-dock connector USB cable, try with a normal one to see if it goes away.

Greetings, and thanks for all the hints.

Ronald

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rcfa For This Useful Post:

likwidfuzion (2007-12-17)

Anyway, I have now tried this with both the travel cable that comes with the Apple BT headset, and with the BT headset dock: both, the moment they are connecting the iPhone to the computer, put the iPhone into an endless crashing cycle.
    Powercycling the iPhone and using a regular USB dock connector cable or dock works just fine.

So there must be something that makes a jail-broken, 1.1.2 firmware iPhone with some third party apps installed go bonkers the moment the BT headset cable/dock are used.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be, or am I the only one with Apple's BT headset?

I Have exactly the same situation, after installing too many apps, fixed Springboard, but now as soon as I use the dual usb charger I get the endless Springboard crash, in the back ground all is still well and can FTP etc. I tried using on iPod cable and all works OK, so it is only the dal charger / Sync station. Very strange. There must be something still busted about Springboard that is only called by that dual charger.
    Did you get any further on this ??
    I am on 1.1.2 Jailbroken Legit SIM 1.1.2

Not sure about the endless crash at the 80 App. mark, but as far as the endless boot loop, I have gotten that a bunch of times. If you're on a Windoze machine, shut down iTunes and go to services and kill the iTunesHelper service. Then, put your phone into restore mode with the power/home button combo. It should stop looping and iTunes should NOT come up. Use iBrickr 0.91 to boot the phone into normal mode.

It has something to do with 1.1.2 and the version of iTunesHelper Service.