Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chat applications and 2.0

Default Chat applications and 2.0
    Official applications like AIM for the iPhone have already been demoed for the 2.0 from AOL. Undoubtedly it'll get in to the App Store. But how do you think carriers will handle messages sent and received from mobile IM clients while on the go? Do you think it be charged from your messages or use the data network?

The app will use data, so the messages will go through data as well. Don't worry about any extra charges.

Also, don't expect AIM and others to work when 2.0 gets released. Those kind of apps will require the push technology Apple talked about in their last presentation and that won't be released until September.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Just like Happy stated, we will have to wait until September for AIM to be release on 2.0. This is the only way the app would work under 2.0 because Apple does not want any application running in the background a la windows mobile. So chatting might be possible, but once you hit the Home button you will be logged of AIM.
    • On T-mobile with 2.0 with help from Pwnage 2.0

I was just curious because how carriers messaging packs include IM with phones that are supported. The iPhone never had a native IM client and soon will, that's why I was wondering. Really I hope they can allow it to not use data but be under the messaging plans.