Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Come February, mayhem?

Default Come February, mayhem?
    I can only imagine what it will be like come February. Obviously there will be an update to support apps created with the SDK. I wonder what it will all mean for those of us with jailbroken phones.

I figure Apple (and/or the developers) will want to charge for 3rd party apps. They might even be part of iTunes. Therefore, the incentive for Apple to lock out installer.app and the current crop of pre-SDK apps will be even greater.

This could mean that those of use who have jailbroken may have some tough decisions to make, at least until the SDK'd update is hacked. Do we keep our beloved pre-SDK apps, or bag them in lieu of sanctioned apps?

And given the lack of a nice tidy one-click jailbreak for 1.1.2, I can imagine the SDK'd update could be even tougher to break.

If Apple were smart, they'd embrace the current 3rd party app scene, and let those developers in from the cold in Feb. It would be a great PR move. I'm sure Apple has learned from installer.app and the entire repository. Not to mention, they'd have a bunch of us on board for any iTunes based app store if they let easily keep our current apps.

What do you think?
    I'm so glad I don't have to meet The Internet People.

Well the apps that will be produced in february will be far superior than the apps being produced now. But that's where the hacking community comes into play. Im guessing someone will get their hands on the SDK and give it to the rest of the world for more unauthorized third party apps.

Or it could turn out that the SDK is crap and the official apps will be crap like Bejeweled or something.

I heard that the apps are going to be all web based. That sounds crappy to me

Quote Originally Posted by kndhadley View Post
    I heard that the apps are going to be all web based. That sounds crappy to me
    haha why would you need an sdk for a web app? We are talking apple approved native apps.

i honestly don't see what an SDK app could do for me that all of the wonderful people on the net have designed. I mean the only gripes i had about the iphone before i bought it were:

1) Couldn't foward or send batch texts (been solved)
    2) Couldn't send MMS (email a photo or MMS apps are starting to be designed)
    3) No games (been solved)
    4) Couldn't get my contacts off my simcard (been solved)
    5) No GPS (Google maps seens "good enough" and the development of google's my location should improve this)
    6) No Exchange mail support (have some options now, but don't like them due to security issues, we'll see what happens with this)

Those are only the things off the top of my head. The 3rd party app community has done so much for us, i think i'll be fine.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

i betcha apple wont make us pay for 3rd party apps.
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

i betcha apple wont make us pay for 3rd party apps.
    Hopefully. Every article I've seen didnt say anything about price and neither did the letter from Jobs, but knowing Apple, they'll find every way possible to charge you for them.
    Last edited by pianoman173; 2007-12-10 at 03:32 AM.

They charge for everything else, why would 3rd party apps be any different?

Thanks

...i can smell extortion on Apple's breath already. But we will get past them. They will probably charge the developers money to allow them to put the apps on iTunes. The SDK will be separate from iTunes, so we can easily find another way to put it on. Unless they intergrate the SDK into iTunes that would seriously suck.

Thanks

Default price
    Quote Originally Posted by pianoman173 View Post
    Hopefully. Every article I've seen didnt say anything about price and neither did the letter from Jobs, but knowing Apple, they'll find every way possible to charge you for them.
    apple won't charge for the 3rd party apps but I am sure the people or company that made it will and most likely apple will get a cut.

About weather or not the sdk apps get hacked . . . . Imho it's just a question of when not if. These days just give it some time and anything is "Hackable"

Thanks

yea thats the case for alot of things, the sdk would probably help in the process

Even if they were to charge for 3rd party apps, everything has been pirated. This is no exception.......uh....not that we would do such a thing here!

maybe they will charge for an official "jailbreak" so we dont have to worry about updating and just let people develop apps free i know id pay a one time fee to just update when the updates come out and still keep the apps i have

Default pay for play
    Of coarse apple will charge for third party apps. Apple wants to use a system where authors will have to be traceable, so in that case each developer will probably have to pay some price for a recognizable license. Most likely you will access a list of apps through the apple wifi store (ipod games weren't free, why would they be for iphone?). Who knows though, maybe there will be some freeware, but I see it mostly being shareware and such. Maybe Jobbs is taking after Gates and the X-box live marketplace (believe that's it, don't have an x-box myself, but I heard developers have to charge for their products.)

Currently I love my mods. I love being able to customize most every feature on my phone from look to text. I'd hate to have my phone go back to "slide here to unlock" and all that for the pleasure of paying for some pool game. I'm sure they will have some awsome stuff, but with the comunity as wonderful as it is, I see swet knockoffs and hacks in the future.

Personally just with everything so many creative people have put together and worked on I feel like one lucky ducky to have so many things for free.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to skantfa For This Useful Post:

ChrisAyad (2007-12-25)

I personally hope that they DO charge for apps, because that is an incentive for developers to develop cool applications. If they are not making any money off of them, then the big developers will really have no reason to develop and support the iphone.

Thanks

Cool Can't wait!
    Personally I can't wait =) One thing that no one has said yet is the greatest advantage to all of this. The moment apple officially supports a way to download an application onto the phone it's possible to exploit that into a new way to get installer.app onto activated phones. Mind you this won't help with people that need the phone activated and youtube etc. fixed but it does allow for people with at&t or something like O2 not having to wait for a new jailbreak once a firmware is released. I'm personally using t-mobile so it doesn't help me much but i do know a couple people that i could ask to borrow their at&t sim for a minute to get it activated =X

I agree, I really don't think there is anything Apple can offer me that I don't already have with my jailbroken phone. I can listen to internet radio, play every game from Super Mario World to Wolfenstein 3D and recieve MMS messages. I play a lot of games on my iphone too, and judging from Apple's selection on the ipod games I think Ill pass, as fun as Bejeweled is. (sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorguido View Post
    I agree, I really don't think there is anything Apple can offer me that I don't already have with my jailbroken phone. I can listen to internet radio, play every game from Super Mario World to Wolfenstein 3D and recieve MMS messages. I play a lot of games on my iphone too, and judging from Apple's selection on the ipod games I think Ill pass, as fun as Bejeweled is. (sarcasm)
    Whoa buddy, I don't think we can recieve MMS messages; we can only send them. If you know how to recieve them then please tell us how you accomplished it.

Quote Originally Posted by CHI3F View Post
    Whoa buddy, I don't think we can recieve MMS messages; we can only send them. If you know how to recieve them then please tell us how you accomplished it.
    Yeah my mistake. I meant send. Im sure the rest is right around the corner though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast