Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HistoryDL - first progress towards direct downloads

Default HistoryDL - first progress towards direct downloads
    Did anyone check HistoryDL out from the experimental source? All of the info on this guy's Apps is in kanji so it's a little difficult to tell where he's heading with this. But the screenshots looked interesting so I gave it a shot.

Basically the app takes all of your Safari History and gives you a Download button. Once downloaded, you can go into Books.app and view a canned version of the page.

The download is just straight HTML so no graphics or fancy formatting. But I was thinking last night that this was a pretty good step towards an Offline browser and possibly even a step towards direct downloading.

I checked in at Ipodtouchfans.com forum's and the guys over there have already figured out a way to download mp3's directly from Seeqpod to the Touch, and then play them using Apache and a few other little tweaks.

Their method is really jury-rigged and probably way too much work for the end result but it's still a very encouraging sign that soon we will have both Offline Web pages and the ability to download files, ROMs, songs, videos etc directly to our Iphones/Touches. (though outside of the ITunes library of course.)
    Last edited by myboot; 2007-12-04 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks

that would make my day, NO year

Actually, this already works to DL mp3s and play them using MobileSafari, if you have Apache or lighttpd running.

The process is simple. Just play a song in Seeqpod, then use HistoryDL to save it. Now (while running Apache or lighttpd) just navigate to the file and it will play.

I changed the savepath to /var/root/Media/Documents/Websites/ but it doesn't really matter as long as it's a location that's available to your local server.
    The saved files don't get named well, so it's best to have some local solution to do that if you plan to use this much. It would be great if HistoryDL would add a feature to name the saved file.

Here's a version I made with a new icon and the default path changed to /var/root/Media/Documents/Websites/

UPDATE: Erica Sadun just created a test version of SendFile so you can now use it to Play or Send a downloaded MP3 without having Apache or lightpd!

Here's the link:

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/Test/SendFile.zip
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2007-12-04 at 10:25 PM.

Is it possible to change the path of saved files manually? Or it's hardcoded inside HistoryDL? Save as... option would be great.

can you write a step by step how to use Seaqpod, play a song, then save it to DL and send or play via Ericas utiliy please I can not get it work cause Ericas unitly goes /var/root/Media/Documents/

Thanks all

would one of you guys post which source i can find HistoryDL on? I have been hesitant to add new sources since i recovered from a crash with the Hightymes source...but I think I would definatly use HistoryDL to add text books too read in books.app.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

The Step has come and gone.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

This is a MobileSafari plug-in which allow you to download files to your phone directly from Safari.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    The Step has come and gone.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

This is a MobileSafari plug-in which allow you to download files to your phone directly from Safari.
    Sorry, but I need a little clarification...what do you mean "the step has come and gone" is there still a source I can add to get HistoryDL through installer...were you even talking to me?

Also, if I get this safari plugin to DL .zip and .tar from the iphone, how would iphone be able to extract these files? or would I still have to SSH and extract on my computer? a little noobish I know but some info would help out. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrew2012 View Post
    Also, if I get this safari plugin to DL .zip and .tar from the iphone, how would iphone be able to extract these files? or would I still have to SSH and extract on my computer? a little noobish I know but some info would help out. Thanks!
    Nope. I was referring to the subject heading "first progress towards direct downloads". Read the info on the site. If you don't want to use SSH to get the files off, Erica Sudan has modified her SendFile program to also check the Downloads directory so you can use that program to send your downloads anywhere you like.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks for the reply, that seems pretty clear, but i am still trying to find the source to install HistoryDL through installer... is it still active? if so could you post what it is, I cant seem to find it through search.

Thanks again

For me (and MANY others), the MobileSafari plug-in is not a good solution for MP3s because it removes the ability to stream MP3s. When the plug-in is active, you ONLY can DL those files it's set to intercept. Given the amount of effort needed to work around this, I've opted to set up the MobileSafari plug for other file types, but not mp3s

HistoryDL is extremely simple to use, and it allows you to save not only MP3s, but also web pages for offline viewing.

That said, if you're not SSHing into your phone, and only using Installer app to use 3rd party software, you probably shouldn't use EITHER of these options, because you will fill up your phone's memory with stuff that you can't easily see or delete.

The path that files are saved is easily modified by the user, IF you are installing this manually:

Just open the HistoryDL.app folder, locate the file named "savepath.txt" and modify the path to your liking. The path I set in the version I attached earlier in this thread works fine with Erica's SendFile MP3 player, but if you don't like it, change it, then save the file and install the app into the Applications folder.

To use it for playing mp3s offline:

- Navigate in Safari to the song you want and let it start to play.
    - Quit Safari and launch HistoryDL from the Springboard.
    - You'll see a list of all the websites you've visited ordered most recent to oldest. Note that many of them will not have names! A blank line still counts as an item. The item at the top of the list will be the song you were just playing.
    - Click on the item, and you'll see the URL. If this is the thing you want to save, click the Download button.
    - Large files will take awhile, just as they would with a regular download, so if the screen seems frozen, just be patient. When the Download button turns light again, the download is finished.
    - If the item you just downloaded is an MP3, you can play it by using Erica Sadun's latest experimental SendFile Utility. Just launch SendFile, choose the file, and click the Play Audio button.

If you used the version of HistoryDL that I posted in this thread, the filename will show in the SendFile list with a name starting with "Websites/".
    The Websites folder is automatically created at the path /var/root/Media/Documents/Websites/ the first time you run HistoryDL and save a file.

The files are generally saved with weird names, so it's best to have some utility either on the phone or through SSH to rename the file to something meaningful.

If you are working on a Mac, you should also download Erica's FileCatcher utility. This is a great way to copy the downloaded file! Just launch FileCatcher on your Mac, then launch SendFile on the phone. Choose the file, and click the Share File button. The file will magically appear on your Mac Desktop!

Here's a link for FileCatcher:

http://ericasadun.com/ftp/EricaUtili...cher-0.02..zip

Please DON'T try using this method unless you are very comfortable with SSH and permissions, and can navigate the phone's file directory easily. You will end up regretting it.

One other note for the technically minded (and if you've read this far, I suspect you are!). If you are running Apache, lighttpd, or another local server on the phone, you get the added benefit of being able to navigate to the saved files and use them with Safari exactly as if you were online. This means you can play MP3s in the background while you do other things with the phone (among other things).

I also use HistoryDL to save many other types of websites for offline viewing. It's a really powerful tool if you're willing to learn enough to harness it's power.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2007-12-05 at 06:01 PM.

lol you only need to type ./dis.sh or ./en.sh in terminal to disable or enable the file download webplugin to enable streaming or downloading. Its pretty simple and I didn't even know how to use terminal before this. And with the file download plugin you get a status icon which shows how much you have downloaded compared to the size of the actual file and I think it has automatic resume because i started a download on edge. Half way through I clicked the home button, enabled wifi, connected to wifi, clicked on safari and it continued to download till it was complete. http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthre...t=18331&page=3

and with this a download icon opens up in safari where all you have to do is click it to start the download. Its sweet

also, you dont get wierd filenames and have to rename them. They are typically the filename that was given to them by the person you are downloading the file from. The name isn't changed by your phone
    Last edited by loujob; 2007-12-06 at 12:35 AM.

I use the File Download Plugin as well, and think it's great. I just don't agree that it's a good way to download music. It's many more steps to constantly have to disable and re-enable it. (In addition to launching terminal and typing in commands, you need to kill the MobileSafari process either by restarting the phone, using Kill in SysInfo, or holding the Home button for 6 seconds.

As for getting weird filenames, yes you get what the source named them (same with HistoryDL), and often that is something like "8werrw364832768kjdfshhi8re.mp3".

Bottom line, to each his own. I love the ability to download files with the plugin, but mostly I prefer to stream my music live. And when I choose to save it, I get the option of doing that with a couple of clicks in HistoryDL, so for me, that's the best of both worlds.

Whatever you decide, it's nice to have choices!

its available under the installer app and netservices turns it on and off now
    Last edited by loujob; 2007-12-06 at 12:45 PM.

where is netservices??

NetServices offers a great way to toggle the File Download Plugin so that you get the best of both worlds. You can Download when you want, and switch to streaming when you prefer that. It's available on Installer. The newest incarnation of the File Download Plugin even lets you specify the saved filename, a VERY useful improvement!

There are still cases where HistoryDL is my tool of choice. Mostly these are times when there is info on a website that I want to have locally on my phone. The other time is when I decide after I've navigated away from I site that I want to download the item. With HistoryDL, I can usually find it there and snag it.

does anybody know how to clear the Historydl downloads list??? its getting bigger and want to clear it out... I have look around, in the historydl.app folder and in /var/root/library but i cannot find find it to clear it... thanks in advance

does anybody know how to clear the Historydl downloads list??? its getting bigger and want to clear it out... I have look around, in the historydl.app folder and in /var/root/library but i cannot find find it to clear it... thanks in advance

Try going into the normal phone Settings program, and then Safari settings. I believe if you Clear History there, it will clear it in HistoryDL as well.

Default HistoryDL - how to install
    Hi,
    I've downloaded the file,
    added the HistoryDL.app to the /root/Application directory,
    added the _MacOS/HistoryDL.app to the _MacOS dir, restarted, but it doesn't seems to work.
    I get the icon of HistoryDL but when I click it, I get a blank list and the iPhone freeze for 5-10 seconds.

I am guessing that I am doing something wrong, can some one please tell me where I should put the 2 directories? (full path for each directory will be best)

Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast