Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Ziphone IMEI and ATT

  1. #1
    Default Ziphone IMEI and ATT
    Hi guys. A couple of questions. I perused the forums but can't specifically find these answers and no one is answering in the ziphone chat.

    I am getting an iphone from a friend --it has been activated and used for a while on the ATT service. I am going to use ziphone and will also be using the ATT service, but I want to keep my $15 data and unlimited shared text messages.

    Using ziphone, do i need only to jailbreak it or should I use the unlock jailbreak and activate option?

    Also, should I use the advanced option to change the imei number--is it possible that ATT will tell that it is an iphone and charge me accordingly if I dont? What circumstance would someone want to change the imei number if not for this reason?

    Thanks,
    John

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by hatchet65 View Post
    Hi guys. A couple of questions. I perused the forums but can't specifically find these answers and no one is answering in the ziphone chat.

    I am getting an iphone from a friend --it has been activated and used for a while on the ATT service. I am going to use ziphone and will also be using the ATT service, but I want to keep my $15 data and unlimited shared text messages.

    Using ziphone, do i need only to jailbreak it or should I use the unlock jailbreak and activate option?

    Also, should I use the advanced option to change the imei number--is it possible that ATT will tell that it is an iphone and charge me accordingly if I dont? What circumstance would someone want to change the imei number if not for this reason?

    Thanks,
    John
    To use the same plan, u will need to use the unlock jailbreak and activate option. I would change the imei number to an old AT&T phone because they will know your using an iPhone and might want u to change your plan to the iPhone data plan.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to dooley19 For This Useful Post:

    hatchet65 (2008-06-13)

  4. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Why ziphone? If you did research on this forum, like you said you did, you've probably read that ziphone is not recommended. The Pwntool/WinPwn or iLiberty are better safer options for jailbreaking and unlocking.

    And as dooley19 mentioned, you'll need to change the imei or at&t will automatically change your plan to the iphone data plan of $20 per month with 200 text.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to freakoftheindustry For This Useful Post:

    hatchet65 (2008-06-13)

  6. #4
    Thanks for the prompt response. I will check into those unlockers too. I looked around and saw several people talking about ziphone and figured it was just personal preference. I talked to someone at the Office of the President at ATT(woo) and they confirmed that my family plan minutes will carry over to this iphone as long as it is not the primary and that it would only cost me an extra $5 a month for the real iphone data and they also promised no activation fee, so for $5 a month it seems like the thing to do.

    Just for future reference--is changing the imei illegal in the US? And if so, anyone ever get in trouble for it?

  7. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by freakoftheindustry View Post
    Why ziphone? If you did research on this forum, like you said you did, you've probably read that ziphone is not recommended. The Pwntool/WinPwn or iLiberty are better safer options for jailbreaking and unlocking.

    And as dooley19 mentioned, you'll need to change the imei or at&t will automatically change your plan to the iphone data plan of $20 per month with 200 text.
    MY SIS HAD A PANTECH DUO..SHE BROKE IT N I HAD A MESSED UP 4GB IPHONE (NO WIFI & I TRIED EVERYTHIN WITH NO LUCK)..I RESTORED ACTIVATED USING IDEMOCRACY AND TOOK IT BACK AND GOT A REPLACEMENT..I THEN UNLOCKED IT, DIDNT CHANGE IMEI N PUT HER SIM CARD IN IT AND HAVENT BEEN CHARGED IPHONE PLAN...BEEN HAVIN THIS FOR LAST 3 MONTHS SHES GOT 1500 TXT AND 1400 MIN AND NO DATA PLAN

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BETO22LV View Post
    MY SIS HAD A PANTECH DUO..SHE BROKE IT N I HAD A MESSED UP 4GB IPHONE (NO WIFI & I TRIED EVERYTHIN WITH NO LUCK)..I RESTORED ACTIVATED USING IDEMOCRACY AND TOOK IT BACK AND GOT A REPLACEMENT..I THEN UNLOCKED IT, DIDNT CHANGE IMEI N PUT HER SIM CARD IN IT AND HAVENT BEEN CHARGED IPHONE PLAN...BEEN HAVIN THIS FOR LAST 3 MONTHS SHES GOT 1500 TXT AND 1400 MIN AND NO DATA PLAN
    could you possibly NOT use caps?

  9. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BETO22LV View Post
    MY SIS HAD A PANTECH DUO..SHE BROKE IT N I HAD A MESSED UP 4GB IPHONE (NO WIFI & I TRIED EVERYTHIN WITH NO LUCK)..I RESTORED ACTIVATED USING IDEMOCRACY AND TOOK IT BACK AND GOT A REPLACEMENT..I THEN UNLOCKED IT, DIDNT CHANGE IMEI N PUT HER SIM CARD IN IT AND HAVENT BEEN CHARGED IPHONE PLAN...BEEN HAVIN THIS FOR LAST 3 MONTHS SHES GOT 1500 TXT AND 1400 MIN AND NO DATA PLAN

    Well maybe she didn't get charged because she has no data plan. Why would you have an iphone with no internet? Its worthless without it. Unless your on wi-fi all the time.

  10. #8
    I tried to use pwnage tool and I couldn't make it work properly. I got tired of trying so I went with Ziphone--easy GUI interface. Worked great. All functions work properly--wifi, Safari, YouTube--everything. Decided to take my chances with ATT, since IMEI changing is definitely against the law in the US. Thanks for al your help!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •