Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cyberduck and iphone help!

Default cyberduck and iphone help!
    ok basically im trying to get apps or walpapers or icons to my iphone using cyberduck i have no clue as to what im doing.....what i have done so far is this

on my macbook i created a new network
    on my iphone i installed openssh (no icon appears on my iphone) once installed,
    i connect my macbook and my iphone when they are connected,
    i go to cyberduck enter the ip address from my iphone and enter the password,and username,
    then it says connecting for about 20 seconds then it says failed tries again and says theres I/O error hex timeout or something 30000 expired.

Now is there something i didnt do? or do right? or what??? im so confused...i really need good detailed instructions for someone who wont be scratching there head when i read replies now im decent on computers and a fast learner but i have to understand what im learning first so please keep in mind i dont get this yet.... thanks!!! and if this is the wrong forum for this please let me know and im sorry!!!!

p.s. this website kinda helped untill i got to the part where is says something about encrypting and what not thats when i got lost is that something i need to do???
    http://lifehacker.com/software/featu...top-327066.php
    Last edited by movieguy12; 2008-06-12 at 10:47 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to movieguy12 For This Useful Post:

Vintage89 (2009-03-02)

I'm using Cyberduck with my MacbookPro via my Airport Express Network. If you don't have an external wifi router, just get the mac to act as one:

(if you have an external wifi router, skip this paragraph)
    Click on the wifi icon in your menu bar and select 'Create Network'.
    Once you've created the network the wifi icon in your menu bar will change.

On your iPhone, go to Setting & WiFi and select your new network.
    Once selected, click on the blue arrow and make a note of the ip address that the iphone is on.
    In Cyberduck click on the 'Open Connection' icon.
    For Protocol, select SFTP
    Server: the ip address that your iPhone is using.
    Username: root
    Password: alpine
    Click connect, and in a few seconds Cyberduck will display the contents of your iPhone.

That's it.

ps. use something like BossPrefs to make sure openssh is on & running on your iPhone.
    Also, if you have just installed openssh you will have to restart your iPhone for it to work.

Actually I think I know what your problem might be. The first time that you use openssh it takes about 30 seconds for the key be generated. This seems to be too long for Cyberduck & it times out. To solve this just open up terminal & type:
    ssh root@yourIPaddress
    and press enter.
    Then just wait until you get a prompt asking if you want to connect.
    Type:
    yes
    press enter
    then type the password (you wont see your typing onscreen) and press enter.
    You should then see the # prompt in terminal.
    THEN go to cyberduck & connect - it should happen immediately.
    You only have to do the terminal part once so that the RSA key gets generated. From then on you can connect using Cyberduck only.
    Last edited by jrentzke; 2008-06-12 at 04:01 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrentzke For This Useful Post:

macdia (2009-07-22), Vintage89 (2009-03-02)

ok ill try all this here in a lil bit im really tired and going to get some sleep haha....

um just wandering though i looked on my phone and noticed like ALOT!!! of bossprefs is there a particular one???

and i do have a wireless router its connected to our main desktop and im using a macbook though i have a sony laptop as well if that would do anything different...?? if theres any thing else you need to know just ask and ill try to find out....please continue to look here to see if i replly lol!

Get the one that just says 'BossPrefs' v1.67.
    The rest are just ad-on switches.
    I think if you do the terminal first to get the key generated you'll be good to go with cyberduck.
    If terminal complains about the key, let me know, that's also an easy fix...

man i suck ok

1.whats terminal
    2.should openssh have a icon on my phone?

and sorry about the hassle im trying to learn all this as fast as i can...

under boss prefs i have ssh? is that the same as openssh? or should it say openssh?

Quote Originally Posted by jrentzke View Post
    I'm using Cyberduck with my MacbookPro via my Airport Express Network. If you don't have an external wifi router, just get the mac to act as one:

(if you have an external wifi router, skip this paragraph)
    Click on the wifi icon in your menu bar and select 'Create Network'.
    Once you've created the network the wifi icon in your menu bar will change.

On your iPhone, go to Setting & WiFi and select your new network.
    Once selected, click on the blue arrow and make a note of the ip address that the iphone is on.
    In Cyberduck click on the 'Open Connection' icon.
    For Protocol, select SFTP
    Server: the ip address that your iPhone is using.
    Username: root
    Password: alpine
    Click connect, and in a few seconds Cyberduck will display the contents of your iPhone.

That's it.

ps. use something like BossPrefs to make sure openssh is on & running on your iPhone.
    Also, if you have just installed openssh you will have to restart your iPhone for it to work.

Actually I think I know what your problem might be. The first time that you use openssh it takes about 30 seconds for the key be generated. This seems to be too long for Cyberduck & it times out. To solve this just open up terminal & type:
    ssh root@yourIPaddress
    and press enter.
    Then just wait until you get a prompt asking if you want to connect.
    Type:
    yes
    press enter
    then type the password (you wont see your typing onscreen) and press enter.
    You should then see the # prompt in terminal.
    THEN go to cyberduck & connect - it should happen immediately.
    You only have to do the terminal part once so that the RSA key gets generated. From then on you can connect using Cyberduck only.
    ok what i did was install bosspreff into my phone v1.67 then i went to it and under all the wifi,edge,my email it only said ssh...(should it say openssh?) then what i did was start a new network on my mac i conecected to that network on my iphone,after that i took my ip and typed the following under the open connection tab on cyberduck first i clicked sftp under protocols, then under server i typed ssh root@my ipadress. under username it already said root. should i have put root there? and the password or left both areas blank??? i pushed enter and it straight went too trying again....

im sorry this is a pain....

Ok I Did It Yaaaayyyy Lol I Got Onto There But I Really Dont Knw What To Do Next? Nothing Was Like Idk It Was All Just Folders And Then Just Like Documents Or Something Under Each Nothing Like Pictures Of My Icons Or Anything...is That Normal? And Now How Do I Add Images To Use For My Icons And Back Ground Wallpapers????

Ok I Did It Yaaaayyyy Lol I Got Onto There But I Really Dont Knw What To Do Next? Nothing Was Like Idk It Was All Just Folders And Then Just Like Documents Or Something Under Each Nothing Like Pictures Of My Icons Or Anything...is That Normal? And Now How Do I Add Images To Use For My Icons And Back Ground Wallpapers????

ok i really dont know what to do next i can connect to cyber duck....but now what???

ok i really dont know what to do next i can connect to cyber duck....but now what???

sorry to keep adding the same thing it keeps double merging for somereason and i didnt know if you were able to read it ...
    Last edited by movieguy12; 2008-06-12 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

what does cyberduck

actually do?