Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to create my own installer source?

Thanks

Default How to create my own installer source?
    Not sure if this is the right forum, so apologies all around if it's not.

I have been trying to figure out how to write the XML file to create my own repository, for apps I want to install that either aren't on a repository yet, or as in today's case, when I used Iphone Apper to create an app to put a link to BeeJive on my SpringBoard (yes, I know, I can SSH into the phone and do it that way, and I did, but that's not the point.)

I've looked at and copied other people's XML file (notably Shai's), and I can even get my custom repository to show up, but when I go to install something I've listed, I invariably get a "package download failed!" or "Main script execution failed!".

I've searched and can't find a tutorial (here, HoFo, and Google), so either I'm not searching correctly, using the wrong terms, or...?

Can anyone provide some assistance?

In case anyone wants to look at it, the URL is:

http://hfelsh.tripod.com/hans.xml
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2007-11-25 at 08:42 PM.

That message most likely means that you failed to specify the correct size (in bytes) of your zip file.

Anyone who's reading this: What is the format for the "date" entry?
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

I checked that, and even when I've copied someone else, and point to the ZIP file on another server, I get the same type of errors. I have verified the file size in my test XML file (linked above) is correct; it's 28225 in size.

I'm wondering about the date format one as well. I omitted it, since it looks like it (along with a couple other keys, like the hash key) aren't really needed. Or maybe they are, and that's my problem. I can't figure out the date one to save my life! LOL

Well, I apparently made a LITTLE progress. I had to add ".app" (no quotes) to the <string>CopyPath</string> <string>BeeJive.app</string> section; I still get the "Main script execution failed!" error, but it actually copies the files correctly, and manually restarting SpringBoard, the icon shows up. 'Course it doesn't set the permissions or anything....
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2007-11-25 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What is the format for the "date" entry?

pleaseeeee can someone reply?
    into the modmyi xml file, we can see

<key>date</key>
    <string>1196015456</string>

this number 1196015456 is 25/11/2007

how can we create numbers like this from a date?

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    thank you sooo much poetic !

poetic, you are the best!!!!
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

Thanks, but even with that, I'm still getting the error:

Main script execution failed!

If anyone who understands what that problem might be could look at my XML file and tell me WTH I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it. This is bugging the crap outta me!

Your problem is here:

Exec
    /bin/chmod 755 /Applications/iSnake.app/App

You are installing BeeJive.app. There is no iSnake.app/App directory, so the script will fail. Also, if you have set the executable bit on your Mac or PC, there is no need for Exec in your script at all, it should retain executable state after unzipping. So you should do away with the Exec command.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

D'oh! Actually, I added that this morning when I was trying to figure out WTH was happening, and had copied that from ModMyI's installer.app XML file. I left for work this morning and must have hit "save" before editing that out.

It still throws the error without it.

Quote Originally Posted by armadillo View Post
    Your problem is here:

Exec

You are installing BeeJive.app. There is no iSnake.app/App directory, so the script will fail. Also, if you have set the executable bit on your Mac or PC, there is no need for Exec in your script at all, it should retain executable state after unzipping. So you should do away with the Exec command.
    BTW, meant to mention that I'm using Vista, and I'm not sure what you mean by "set the executable bit"? That's why I was trying that code, since right now, Installer apparently copies the files, but doesn't set any permissions on them. And still throws that error, so it never shows up under Uninstall.
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2007-11-27 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I told you what's wrong with your source. Now you tell me that I looked at the wrong source and that you have another source that errors out. How am I supposed to know what's wrong? Just paste the Exec command here and I'll tell you what's wrong.

And it's not possible to throw an error when you leave out the Exec, unless your zip file is named wrong. But I would suggest that you don't make your source available publicly, since you obviously are in the early stages of developing this stuff. You will most likely brick other people's phones.
    Last edited by armadillo; 2007-11-27 at 02:03 AM.
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Thanks

No, you misunderstood me. I don't have another source, I was saying that the entry:

Exec

Was something I was playing around with this morning to see if it would help. I was in a hurry before work and must have saved the file without editing those lines out. The same error is still happening WITHOUT that code in the XML. I've edited it out and removed it, and the link is the same one you were looking at.

I'm not looking to make it publicly available; this is more for me to learn how to do an installer repository, as well as create an uninstall entry for the BeeJive icon I created.

The date field has never been required, it's an optional field. I don't use it in any of my packages. The MD5 hash key will become mandatory in some future Installer app update so you should get in the habit of adding it.

I looked at the download and the "Embark" app is already set to exec so you don't need to put the extra line in the install script. If you are still having a problem it is most likely related to the actual zip file. What software are you using to create the zip file on your Vista PC?

Update....
    Actually... if nothing has changed and the files I'm looking at are current then your problem is the size key. You have 40897 in your plist file. The file I downloaded from the link in your plist file is 28225
    Last edited by CyberGreg; 2007-11-27 at 04:08 PM.

How can I view the i.unlock.no xml. I want to create a custom source with only some of their applications.

Thanks

I was just thinking today about building my own source list...looks like I might be biting off more than I can chew! lol

Default Please help for repository
    Greetings
    I from Ukraine, I wish to create the to a repository. Whether you know where it is possible to read through a full management with all commands and codes?
    Please send me the link to this resource on email - [email protected] a subject - a repository
    I shall be very grateful!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGreg View Post
    The date field has never been required, it's an optional field. I don't use it in any of my packages. The MD5 hash key will become mandatory in some future Installer app update so you should get in the habit of adding it.
    Good to know, but how to create it on Vista?

I looked at the download and the "Embark" app is already set to exec so you don't need to put the extra line in the install script. If you are still having a problem it is most likely related to the actual zip file. What software are you using to create the zip file on your Vista PC?
    I know, I took it out. I'm using WinZip.

Update....
    Actually... if nothing has changed and the files I'm looking at are current then your problem is the size key. You have 40897 in your plist file. The file I downloaded from the link in your plist file is 28225
    I know, I had it originally set to 28225, and tried the "uncompressed" size (40897) instead. Neither works, same error.

Quote Originally Posted by HotStuff2 View Post
    Good to know, but how to create it on Vista?
    Google search - take your pick

I know, I took it out. I'm using WinZip.
    That probably is a problem. HighTymes can not use WinZip for any of his packages anymore and ended up taking his source offline

I know, I had it originally set to 28225, and tried the "uncompressed" size (40897) instead. Neither works, same error.
    Something about teaching and fishing and then going to the fish market or something... comes to mind..... and in the words of Nick Burns MOVE!!!!!

Took your download and got the app.
    Made a new folder, called it BeeJive_v1.0, put the BeeJive.app into it.
    Made a "ditto" zip, called BeeJive_v1.0.zip from the folder.
    Created a test source: web.mac.com/gregmeach/BeeJive.xml

Installed app - worked fine
    Tested app - worked fine
    Uninstalled app - worked fine

Good luck

Thanks

thanks for the link - I that'll help a lot! WinZip very well could be the problem, but what should I use on Vista? (Side note, BTW: I actually helped develop WinZip, and I'm listed in the acknowledgements. Unfortunately, Corel bought Nico out and it's gone "corporate", so I don't do anything with it anymore LOL)

edit: Yep, it HAS to be WinZip. I downloaded the ZIP file you created, put it on my server, and changed my code to match (wasn't very much different though), and sure enough, it installs just fine.

Now I just need to figure out what to use to zip files besides WinZip...
    Last edited by HotStuff2; 2007-11-28 at 02:24 AM.

try Stuffit, I think you can set it to make .zip files. You could also use any flavor of *nix in a virtual server

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast