Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH problems with APPLE Airport Extreme

Default SSH problems with APPLE Airport Extreme
    I had no problem with my old Netgear router using FUGU or CYBERDUCK.

Now I have an APPLE Airport Extreme Basestation and it gives an odd IP Address...it's 10.x.x.x or something rather than the usual 169.x.x.x

It always refuses the connection to the iPhone.

Is there a fix to this?

Thanks so much!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

the apple routers use a different mask for IP's. the IP of your phone should be something like 10.0.1.196 or something to that effect. I have an airport extreme router and SSH works fine via terminal and SFTP programs.

Quote Originally Posted by jealous soul View Post
    the apple routers use a different mask for IP's. the IP of your phone should be something like 10.0.1.196 or something to that effect. I have an airport extreme router and SSH works fine via terminal and SFTP programs.

Okay, so I've changed that IP address on the base station which now gives the iPhone 192.168.1.198 but the connection is still refused when using FUGU and Cyberduck gives an error message as well.

This never happened before so I'm a little confused. Any other help would be greatly appreciated!

Wish I was more adept at using Terminal but for me, the SSH Fugu and Cyberduck are really the best bets at this point. Don't understand why the connection is being denied all of the sudden.

Thanks!

All fixed! Thanks so much for the help!
    Last edited by insocal; 2007-11-22 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

what did you do?? im having this same problem... im unable to SSH into my iphone and im thinking its because of my airport extreme... any help?

His problem was wrong ip address.
    Check ip address
    username root
    password alpine or dottie

What about your ssh known hosts file? Run this in terminal:

rm -f ~/.ssh/known_hosts
    Then to be on the safe side, type this in terminal:
    ssh -l root 192.168.1.100
    (where 192.168.1.100 is YOUR IP address). Give it up to a minute, then you'll have this pop up:

The authenticity of host '192.168.1.101 (192.168.1.101)' can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is bf:3d:9e:93:e2:b4:80:9a:ba:07:2e:53:c2:31:29:83.
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
    Type "yes" and press enter.

You will then be asked for the phone's password. If you've changed, use it. If you haven't, it should be "dottie" if you're on 1.1.1

After that, you'll be logged onto your phone. Start your ftp client, and connect like you used to.
    Last edited by Digital Oxygen; 2007-12-08 at 09:32 PM.

Hey Digital Oxygen,

What should i try if i get the following error

ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.xxx port 22: Permission denied

when i try the above method through terminal command.
    Im on a libertyx Iphone 1.1.4. Airport extreme and I had Cyberduck up and running fine a week ago. I have Bossprefs on OpenSSH on fine so cant understand what could have changed to get the failed to connect error message.
    I have tried trashing the known hosts too.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    m