Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Couple of noob questions

Default Couple of noob questions
    Hi.

My daughter has an iphone running 1.1.1. When we bought it, it was already unlocked to use any sim and jailbroken (I think - if jailbreak means it can run 3rd party apps!!).

I have an iphone runnning 1.1.4 and my daughter would like to upgrade to this to make use of the better features.

I have read through some of the guides on this site but I am still slightly confused as it seems that it depends what method was originally used to unlock/jailbreak as to what method I should use to upgrade now. Is this correct? Unfortunately, because the phone was already bought unlocked, I don't know how they did it!! So how do I proceed?

Also, can I upgrade to 1.1.4 and unlock (for any sim) and jailbreak all in one go or does it all have to be done separately?
    If it all has to be done separately then what order do I do it in and what is the best method seeing as I don't know how it was originally done?

Can I just upgrade to 1.1.4 in itunes and then unlock and jailbreak? or is there a better way?

I am really sorry if these have been asked before but I have had a search round the forum and couldn't find definitive answers to my questions!

I am concerned that I will bugger up ,my daughters iphone so that it is once again locked on O2 (I am in the UK) and she can't put her orange sim in it!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

lynda

im using iphone 111 for as long as i can remember... its much better, for me. stay with 111.

still want to update?

She wants to update as she particulary likes the option of moving the homescreen icons around (where you touch them and they start wiggling) and adding web page bookmarks and web apps to the homescreen.

Unless there is a (simple) way of doing this in 1.1.1?

Thanks

Lynda

Lynda, I think your easiest way of doing what you wish to accomplish is not going to be difficult at all. I will walk you through it step by step in what I think would be the easiest way according to your level of knowledge of iPhone "Hacking"

1. Download this 1.1.4 and save it on your computer somewhere so you know where it is.

2. Download Ziphone from this page. Just scroll down where it says "Click here to Download ZiPhone (Main)" Click on that and click on the big image of the 'Z+Windows icon=iphone with unlock symbol on it.

3. Choose run to install ZiPhone onto your computer.

4. Now connect your iPhone to your computer and open ZiPhone. Click on the "Prepare for Upgrade" button.

5. Now open iTunes if it isn't already open. Highlight your iPhone in the menu to the left.

6. Very Important Hold Shiftand then click on restore in iTunes. Point your computer to the 1.1.4 FW that you downloaded and let iTunes do it's thing.

7. After that is all done close iTunes and open up ZiPhone again if you didn't close it earlier with your iPhone still connected to your PC.

8. Click on the "Do it All" button in ZiPhone. Let it do it's thing.

9. ENJOY your jailbroken/unlocked iPhone as usual with the new 'Wiggly' moveable icons feature.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sr20_00 For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Great, thanks!! I will give this a try tomorrow and report back.

The only other thing I am concerned about is what are the chances of completely knackering the phone?? I know all of these things have a bit of risk but if I encounter some problems is it likely that they can be solved?

Thanks again

Lynda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

As long as you start from a freshly restored phone (as stated above) you should have no problems "knackering the phone"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Even if you totally can't follow directions and mess something up extremely bad I don't think you will tear anything up. I have had my phone totally bricked/hacked/blackened/white screened and evrything else in between. With a little patience and the right tools along with a little bit of knowledge/assistance it can always be fixed.

If something goes wrong the first thing to do is to "NOT PANIC" and don't do anything outside of the steps without research or assistance. Hit this thread up or shoot me a PM. I will subscribe to this thread and it will shoot me an e-mail if you post in it. I am glad to help out i any way that I can.

two final questions before I start.

Should I do a restore BEFORE I start the steps above or is the restore 'included' in the above description?

Finally, should I do all of this with the sim in or out? If in, does it matter what sim as I don't have a contract O2 sim.

Thanks

The restore is included in the steps. Step 6 to be exact. I didn't miss anything.

You need to have the sim card you want the phone active with in the iPhone through the whole process.

Good luck and you're welcome.

OK, thanks.

I am going to give this all a try later as my daughter is out for the day today and she didn't want me to mess something up so she couldn't take her phone with her!! LOL!

OK, I have started to do this but I have encountered a problem.

Followed all the steps, got to the point where I hold down shift and press restore. Browsed to the downloaded 1.1.4 file and clicked open. Itunes seemed to start doing something and then I got an erroe message saying 'iphone could not be restored' or something similar.

I have tried clicking restore again (whilst holding down shift) but I don't get the browse folder come up and then I just get a message saying 'iphone could not be restored as it couldn't find the firmware'.

HELP!! I don't know what to do now - I daren't unplug the phone or close itunes or ziphone.

i would be grateful if you could advise me what to do now!!

Thanks

Lynda

anybody?
    Last edited by Lynswin; 2008-05-28 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Just hit the regular restore button... no need to do "shift+restore" as it's all the same file (Stock Apple 1.1.4).

My iPhone is a Part of Me m3thodandr3d's Avatar
    Thanks

What error code are you receiving? If it says (1015), just open ziphone and click boot iPhone. The phone will be fine. The only reason it would do that is if the baseband doesn't match with the firmware version.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

15. The Following User Says Thank You to m3thodandr3d For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

aaaargh! My wifi device on my pc has just failed (I am posting this from my iPhone), meaning I have no Internet connection. This is a regular occurrence and only usually remedied by restarting my pc. I am not keen to do this though as the iPhone is still plugged in and in it's recovery mode! Will it be ok to restart my pc and should I just leave the phone plugged in??
    any help (again) would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Lynswin View Post
    aaaargh! My wifi device on my pc has just failed (I am posting this from my iPhone), meaning I have no Internet connection. This is a regular occurrence and only usually remedied by restarting my pc. I am not keen to do this though as the iPhone is still plugged in and in it's recovery mode! Will it be ok to restart my pc and should I just leave the phone plugged in??
    any help (again) would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Lynda
    Just let itunes finish restoring your iphone. No wifi is needed for the restore from your computer.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to hiflyer For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Please somebody help!! Can I restart my pc? Where will I start from if I do?

Please somebody help!! Can I restart my pc? Where will I start from if I do?
    see the previous post.

hi. Thanks for the reply.

iTunes won't let me restore though! I am now getting the message 'there was a problem downloading the software. The requested source was not found'. Surely this is down to my connection?

I did try restarting iTunes but when it reloads it says 'could not contact software update server etc' and the iPhone is not listed in iTunes now.

The only way to get my Internet back is to restart my pc. Can I just unplug the phone, restart my pc and start again?

Many thanks

Lynda

hi. Thanks for the reply.

iTunes won't let me restore though! I am now getting the message 'there was a problem downloading the software. The requested source was not found'. Surely this is down to my connection?

I did try restarting iTunes but when it reloads it says 'could not contact software update server etc' and the iPhone is not listed in iTunes now.

The only way to get my Internet back is to restart my pc. Can I just unplug the phone, restart my pc and start again?

Many thanks

Lynda
    Lynda, since you have already rebooted itunes, yes you can reboot your computer. Be sure that you have the downloaded iphone 1.1.4 restore ipsw in a location that you can go to for the restore when you start up again.

hi. Thanks again for the reply. I have the downloaded 1.1.4 file but iTunes wouldn't 'use' it last time (see previous post).

If I restart my pc will I have to 'prepare phone for upgrade' again or just go straight ahead with the restore (if it will let me)?

I really do appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Lynda

hi. Thanks again for the reply. I have the downloaded 1.1.4 file but iTunes wouldn't 'use' it last time (see previous post).

If I restart my pc will I have to 'prepare phone for upgrade' again or just go straight ahead with the restore (if it will let me)?

I really do appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Lynda
    If itunes recognizes your iphone, then do a Shift, Click, Restore and point itunes to the downloaded 1.1.4 file. If itunes does not see your iphone, then you may have to put it into DFU mode by holding the POWER and HOME buttons for about 10 seconds until the screen turns black. Continue to hold the HOME button, release the POWER button, plug into the computer and in 20 seconds or so, itunes should recognize your phone. Then let go of the home button and restore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast