Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Couple of noob questions

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    If itunes recognizes your iphone, then do a Shift, Click, Restore and point itunes to the downloaded 1.1.4 file. If itunes does not see your iphone, then you may have to put it into DFU mode by holding the POWER and HOME buttons for about 10 seconds until the screen turns black. Continue to hold the HOME button, release the POWER button, plug into the computer and in 20 seconds or so, itunes should recognize your phone. Then let go of the home button and restore.
    Ziphone has an option for putting the phone in DFU mode. No need of doing this.

After you restarted your PC, try SHIFT+Restore again from iTunes and continue with the steps mentioned.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elnekis For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Ok. Restarted pc. Ran iTunes and it said I needed to restore phone. Held shift and clicked restore. Started extracting files but when this had finished I got the error message 'iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred(1).'

So, as someone in a previous post advised I hit restore without holding down shift and after agreeing to a couple of things it does seem to be downloading something!!!

Was this the right thing to do??

How long does it normally take to download and restore as it has been going for about 5-10 mind now??!!

Thanks again
    lynda

When you do not use the SHIFT+Restore option, iTunes automatically downloads the firmware file you already have. With the SHIFT you prevent from downloading it again. Its the same thing but shorter.

Now about the error, let me do some research and Ill post back.

Lynda, if you did not have to put the phone into DFU mode, then I believe you will have to do that. The fact that it tried to restore from your downloaded 1.1.4 file and gave and error is not a good sign. The DFU mode puts it into the bottom level restore mode.

I have found this Unknown Error (1) & Waiting for iPhone - iPhone Alley Forums

It seems DFU mode is hard to achieve. It is very important you put it in this mode like hiflyer states. Try his method or try the ziphone method.

Wow, a lot has gone on while I was gone. I hope everything goes well Lynda. I have sent you a PM. Check it out and let's see what happens from here.
    "Count your blessings. Make your blessings count!"

Is that an iPhone in your pocket?

Alleluyah(sp?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seems to have finally worked!!! All up and running with 1.1.4.

I haven't had a chance to check everything out yet but youtube and safari are working.

Unfortunately I cannot check if it is still functioning as a phone as we are in a very poor area for signal and I will have to wait until tomorrow so I can go down the road to where I get reception (it is now 23.40 in the UK)!! If I have any problems I will start a new thread!! I can hear everyone running for cover aready! LOL!

I would just like to say a HUGE THANKYOU to everybody who has replied to this thread - you are all marvellous and very, very helpful. thankyou sooo much.

Best wishes

Lynda

Good Deal Lynda,

Glad it's working for you!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hiflyer For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynswin View Post
    Alleluyah(sp?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seems to have finally worked!!! All up and running with 1.1.4.

I haven't had a chance to check everything out yet but youtube and safari are working.

Unfortunately I cannot check if it is still functioning as a phone as we are in a very poor area for signal and I will have to wait until tomorrow so I can go down the road to where I get reception (it is now 23.40 in the UK)!! If I have any problems I will start a new thread!! I can hear everyone running for cover aready! LOL!

I would just like to say a HUGE THANKYOU to everybody who has replied to this thread - you are all marvellous and very, very helpful. thankyou sooo much.

Best wishes

Lynda
    Congrats!

Youve achieved something that many people I know have tried and have not got.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to elnekis For This Useful Post:

Lynswin (2008-05-29)

Have just been out and the phone is working fine with a vodafone sim so it was a great success all round.

My daughter can now play with her wiggly icons!! LOL!

Thanks again guys!

Lynda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12