Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Would it be possible?

Default Would it be possible?
    Hi there,
    having moved from a pocket pc to an iphone (and not regreting it) i have a question towards people who are capable of programming native apps. on my pocket pc, i used to have an offline wikipedia. it worked with a huge text file (the wiki source) and a reader called mobipocket reader. would it possible to get this running on the iphone too? would be awesome! thanks

Thanks

Take a look at the WeDict.app, there are several dictionaries including an encyclopedia Britannica. As for a Wikipedia, I had one on my Treo as well, and loved it. Maybe someone could set up a eBook form of it so we can use it with the Books.app
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Default Re Wikipedia
    Finally! I found someone on the same mission as me, I've spent hours searching and found this page http://www.sdict.com/en/wikipedia.php. Ive donwloaded one of the smaller dictionaries from their and it shows up in wedict but it does not give results when I search it. I am pretty sure that this is because I only have a .dict file (you need to rename it from the original .dct) and not the .idx and .idxc. Now I am trying to find out how to make these files, if you have any ideas please help.

PS the ebook app does not have a search function so I dont think that it will work

Hey, have found a way to get the wikitionary (and some other wiki related dumps) onto wedict but the source for the files said that the wikipedia dump was too big to work with. Download the files here http://www.stardict.org/wikipedia/
    then extract the file with 7zip, you get a TAR file, extract that with 7zip, you get a folder, extract the .DZ file in that folder. then copy the .dict and the .idx file to the wedict directory. This will take some time. When you open wedict and select the dictionary and your first search it will take some time. I think this is because the application is creating the .idxc file. After that initial search it speeds up dramatically.