Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BossTool

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default BossTool
    I basically screwed my phone up...

I have a lot of apps installed in my iphone. And I realised that I had only 9MB left out of that 300. So I decided to install this BossTool app in order to free my space a little. Once it's done... i went to open installer and it crashes... So I thought oh no mayb I should reboot my phone. So I switched it off and back on... And it just stucks at the Apple logo screen and the loading thingy came up. Tried connected to computer, itunes could detect, and my router says iphone is connected to the router...

HELP!!

Albert

EDIT:: OK NOW my iphone is not detectable...
    Last edited by squaresoft; 2008-05-19 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last week buddy.
    Apple logo for ages... then spinning loading thing.

Unfortunately you are going to have to do a full restore of your phone.

Force it into recovery mode by first holding down the power button and then sliding the slider to power off.
    Then pop it in your dock while holding the home button.

That should prompt itunes to ask if you want to restore it.

Im sure you know what to do from there.... if not then you better check the unlock forums.... but yeah...

BossTool is not good at all.

Thanks

yeah, i'm doing a full restore now... damn i've got 3 pages full of apps and now i'm done for... need to spend hours messing around with my apps again... and all my summerboard packages omg that's the longest pain installing those...

Alright I need to ask of anyone's help and could deserve many thanks hit if I am properly helped LOL... well what about this BossTool thing? It's killing alot of phones, killed mine and luckily I know how to revive it, (well I had to waste time installing all my apps again of course!)... anyway is there any other way at all that we could free space? BossTool is definitely a no no for me... I know how to use SSH (don't have winSCP but am using Filezilla, same idea)...

Anyone knows which app is useful? or if not, how do I free disk space using SSH. (provide original path and destination path for the files I am supposed to move to free disc space?)
    Last edited by squaresoft; 2008-05-20 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

that same thing happened to me and all i did was ssh into it and deleted a few of my recently installed apps. then did a hard reset and walla it worked!
    try it out

Thanks

it's all back to normal WITHOUT that boss tool now of course. Installed Cydia apparently it helps you sort all that font and ringtones stuff out automatically anyway...

iPhone? More like MyPhone flrdotcom's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squaresoft View Post
    I basically screwed my phone up...

I have a lot of apps installed in my iphone. And I realised that I had only 9MB left out of that 300. So I decided to install this BossTool app in order to free my space a little. Once it's done... i went to open installer and it crashes... So I thought oh no mayb I should reboot my phone. So I switched it off and back on... And it just stucks at the Apple logo screen and the loading thingy came up. Tried connected to computer, itunes could detect, and my router says iphone is connected to the router...

HELP!!

Albert

EDIT:: OK NOW my iphone is not detectable...
    ditto, happened to me last night. i think it had soemthing to do with the use of kate and bosstool. somethign went wrong, luckily i was apple to restore via ipwnd

Thanks

BossTool 0.35 should only be used on 1.1.2 and earlier if you're relocating Applications. The Ringtones and Wallpaper moving works fine on all firmware versions as far as I've tried.

The short of it, the application moving is done using the symlink /var instead of /private/var so it ends up trying to symlink across another which the ln command doesn't like, usually end up with a partially relocated Apps folder with another Apps folder inside it.
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

iPhone? More like MyPhone flrdotcom's Avatar
    Thanks

so there isnt a bosstool app for 1.1.4?

Thanks

I always relocate mine manually via SSH.

Thanks

hi kcrmson, what is the original path and destination path, i know it's mentioned but can you please state again so that I could do it manually too. THanks...

Thanks

I really don't recall because I haven't had to deal with this in a few months. I did make a post with the fix about it back then, I don't want to give inaccurate info so please do a search. I think the topic was identical, BossTool, shouldn't be a hard find.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I have used boss tool on 1.1.4 and 1.1.3 several times with no problems. What i do is after a restore or OTB (not after all the space is filled up and that if you wait till all space is gone you need to uninstall some apps to get it to work correctly) run boss tool first thing. Again if you wait till primary partition is full you need to uninstall some progams or it will not work right.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 2008-05-20 at 05:44 PM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

all u needa do is move fonts, it gives you more then enough space for apps n stuff. i dont understand why people always try to move apps, they use less space then everything on your phone. and usually case problems for people who have no idea whats going on
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

hi smirkis... the problem is.......... I followed instructions stated by Boss Tool..... relocate fonts and ringtones first, then apps................. the first thing i tried was fonts and that's the start of the disaster!

Thanks

squaresoft,

Outta curiosity, did you have Cydia installed prior to using BossTool? If so, last I knew it relocates the Fonts/Ringtones/Apps when installed and using BossTool after that would definitely cause issues starting with the Fonts.

Thanks

to kcrmson,

nope not at all... after that major breakdown of my iphone, i went to restore (sadly losing 3 pages of apps!!)... and installed cydia this time via iLiberty+'s payload... everything done but I know one day in the future i may need to move stuffs again and I do not want to be installing boss tool. I don't know how cydia moves the stuffs is it by automatic or manually?

Bosstool actually made me doubt about me using Boss Prefs now I use it to switch EDGE off thought it's working well but now I doubt the reliability...

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

it's all back to normal WITHOUT that boss tool now of course. Installed Cydia apparently it helps you sort all that font and ringtones stuff out automatically anyway...
    Ok, for those interested:
    Cydia moves apps and fonts safely on 1.1.3/4

I would suggest installing Cydia if your running out of space. It's a great program too. You can use Installer without clashes as long as you install Fake BSD Sub System.

I have been using this for ages, and works like a charm. I would GREATLY suggest installing this.

DO NO USE BOSSTOOL

I hope this help some people and prevents further upsets where BossTool mess up your phone.

Hopefully RiP-Dev and Nullriver will take some hints from Cydia and integrate this feature into Installer along with the repaired version of the BSD that Cydia delivers.

Cydia Source: apptap.saurik.com
    Last edited by MattMac; 2008-05-23 at 12:30 PM.
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Thanks

Like MattMac said, Cydia relocates the apps. It does this automatically while it's being installed, even says it above the progress bar at the bottom of the Installer screen.

I haven't been a big fan of Cydia mainly because of its particular way of moving/symlinking things. I relocate mine myself per restore (and get a few others for older Customize and Summerboard themes that try to install to root instead of mobile) but I honestly haven't HAD to restore in a good few months. Last couple restores were due to me messing with Customize 2.0, not liking it overall and not being able to get certain icons/graphics back so I'd restore and use the older Customize (see some of my other posts, I have that version attached to one with instructions on how to get it working).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattMac View Post
    Ok, for those interested:
    Cydia moves apps and fonts safely on 1.1.3/4

I would suggest installing Cydia if your running out of space. It's a great program too. You can use Installer without clashes as long as you install Fake BSD Sub System.

I have been using this for ages, and works like a charm. I would GREATLY suggest installing this.

DO NO USE BOSSTOOL

I hope this help some people and prevents further upsets where BossTool mess up your phone.

Hopefully RiP-Dev and Nullriver will take some hints from Cydia and integrate this feature into Installer along with the repaired version of the BSD that Cydia delivers.

So you mean the Cydia automatically moves whatever I install from the Installer.app to an appropriate place in order to save space? I do have Boss Prefs running but according to it, my disc space is running less and less each time I install why is that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me MattMac's Avatar
    Thanks

So you mean the Cydia automatically moves whatever I install from the Installer.app to an appropriate place in order to save space? I do have Boss Prefs running but according to it, my disc space is running less and less each time I install why is that?
    No. Uninstall BossTool. Then add Cydia's source, as per my post. Install Cyida found in the System category.

It will move any app you already have installed and and app you install via Cydia, Installer, or even manually install will automatically be on the second partition.

Quote Originally Posted by kcrmson View Post
    Like MattMac said, Cydia relocates the apps. It does this automatically while it's being installed, even says it above the progress bar at the bottom of the Installer screen.

I haven't been a big fan of Cydia mainly because of its particular way of moving/symlinking things. I relocate mine myself per restore (and get a few others for older Customize and Summerboard themes that try to install to root instead of mobile) but I honestly haven't HAD to restore in a good few months. Last couple restores were due to me messing with Customize 2.0, not liking it overall and not being able to get certain icons/graphics back so I'd restore and use the older Customize (see some of my other posts, I have that version attached to one with instructions on how to get it working).
    You must use symlink for the apps to still work... Do you move them to a different directory then the /var/stash?
    Last edited by MattMac; 2008-05-23 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    16GB iPhone 3G
    2.2 Pwned
    Dedicated Cydia User

2.2 GHz Intel MacBook

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Bootcamp w/ Windows XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast