Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EDGE fix for YouTube

Default EDGE fix for YouTube
    If YouTube doesnt work even after:

1. If you have tried applying all the YouTube fix available in the installer
    2. Also tried replacing the files in the var/root/library/lockdown
    data_art.plist
    device_private_key.pem
    device_public_key.pem
    also the files,
    89014103211556075053, 2991634953036728237753880 AND 29916349521148473128163200

3. even tried the fixes in iLiberty, ZiPhone & iDemocracy

I have been searching on this fix for almost a month now ! Finally found the answer. So, here it goes

Download the file attached below.

Extract it to your desktop and open up a terminal
    ssh into your iphone

Code:
    ssh [email protected]
    Password: alpine
    cd /Applications
    mv YouTube.app YouTube.backup
    exit
    scp -r ~/Desktop/YouTube.app [email protected]:/Applications/
    ssh [email protected]
    cd /Applications/
    cp YouTube.backup/icon.png YouTube.app/icon.png
    chmod -R 755 YouTube.app
    exit

Thats it !

YouTube will work perfect on EDGE...
    Very useful for people that have an unlimited GPRS data plan and want to enjoy YouTube...
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jajukhan For This Useful Post:

ONBEER (2008-05-16)

Thank god....!!!!!

I had almost given up too..

I got this new YouTube.app folder into my iphone by using using WinSCP, making a backup 1st and then dropping it into my phone in the /Applications/ folder.. YouTube wouldn't work the 1st time i tried it, so i repeated the process and for some reason it did the 2nd time around.

It was crap not being able to show people Youtube via GPRS, was almost not worth having it on the phone if you were restricted to a Wi-Fi connection..

This works..!!
    Last edited by ONBEER; 2008-05-16 at 12:26 PM.

i really need help i tried with winscp now my youtube dosent even open it jus shows a white screen and afta that goes right back to the home screen

as with most of the things with iPhone.. you should restart the phone...

if you have as i mentioned made a backup... just re-iterate the process...

restore the backup... restart the phone... make the backup again & copy the YouTube folder i have provided... dont forget to copy the PNG from the backup folder to the new YouTube folder... once you have done this then restart the phone... now try if its working... if it still doesnt work then restart the phone again... and hopefully it should work now.

if not then.. im not sure what you are doing wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by jajukhan View Post
    If YouTube doesnt work even after:

1. If you have tried applying all the YouTube fix available in the installer
    2. Also tried replacing the files in the var/root/library/lockdown
    data_art.plist
    device_private_key.pem
    device_public_key.pem
    also the files,
    89014103211556075053, 2991634953036728237753880 AND 29916349521148473128163200

3. even tried the fixes in iLiberty, ZiPhone & iDemocracy

I have been searching on this fix for almost a month now ! Finally found the answer. So, here it goes

Download the file attached below.

Extract it to your desktop and open up a terminal
    ssh into your iphone

Code:
    ssh [email protected]
    cd /Applications
    mv YouTube.app YouTube.backup
    exit
    scp -r ~/Desktop/YouTube.app [email protected]:/Applications/
    ssh [email protected]
    cd /Applications/
    cp YouTube.backup/icon.png YouTube.app/icon.png
    chmod -R 755 YouTube.app
    exit

Thats it !

YouTube will work perfect on EDGE...
    Very useful for people that have an unlimited GPRS data plan and want to enjoy YouTube...

Don't really get what we are supposed to do, i have WinSCP, so what do i do with the file, and what do you mean by open up a terminal, only got into iphone modding a week ago so im still new at all of this.

I got the idea after looking at the file properly, cheers for this, gonna try it tomorrow
    Last edited by legend_of_chaos; 2008-05-17 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if you are using WINSCP... then go to the Root then Applications folder.
    In here you will find the YouTube.app folder. Rename it to YouTube.Backup.
    Then copy the YouTube.App folder that I have provided above to this location.

Copy the icon.png file from the YouTube.Backup folder to the new YouTube.app folder.

Job done!

restart your phone after this or give it a couple of restarts if it doesnt work the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by jajukhan View Post
    if you are using WINSCP... then go to the Root then Applications folder.
    In here you will find the YouTube.app folder. Rename it to YouTube.Backup.
    Then copy the YouTube.App folder that I have provided above to this location.

Copy the icon.png file from the YouTube.Backup folder to the new YouTube.app folder.

Job done!

restart your phone after this or give it a couple of restarts if it doesnt work the first time.
    Do i have to copy the icon.png from the backup or can i leave the new icon.png as i like this youtube icon better, thanks for your help mate.

As this is really helpfull could a moderator or admin add this to the guides section, cheers.
    Last edited by legend_of_chaos; 2008-05-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've done this fix 8+ times now.. I've done the iLiberty+ and I can't get it to work. I've restarted the phone between each fix..

I don't consider myself an idiot, at all, and I've done several jailbreaks without any issue. but this issue is just kicking my butt. I can't get YouTube on EDGE OR over Wifi..

HELP!!!!!

@ FLWebbear

First of all try to sort out your YouTube on Wifi. If that works fine then try to use this fix...

This is what I done... my YouTube was working fine on Wifi but I had problem using it on EDGE... more precisely, using EDGE i was able to search videos on YouTube but I could not PLAY any of them. Featured tab was working fine and so were the Search results.

I was going through the same phase you are going through now.. i didnt know what the problem was... because I had used each and every fix available for YouTube and none worked...

however, this one did work a charm...

Thanks for your reply.

Now, I'm getting a blue text box that states "You must first connect to iTunes with an Internet Connection to enable YouTube."

This is AFTER doing a full restore, going through the fix you've given and on wifi.. NOT Edge.

so, I can't even get to YouTube over wifi..

I'd ***** more if I used YouTube more, but still. it's a feature of the phone.

@FLWebbear

I know its a big hastle going through all the restore process....

There are three different fixes for YouTube available in the installer. May I suggest a lenghtly proceedure, just to see if we can get it working on Wifi first. DO NOT use the YouTUbe.app that I am providing you. Apply these fixes to your original YouTube.app. So basically forget about my patch & doing any SSH stuff. Just use the installer to do this.

On a clean restore...

Go to the installer, search for YouTube. You will get three results.
    Install>>> YouTube Activation
    Restart
    Check if YouTube is working on wifi only
    If it doesnt work then
    Uninstall the fix, restart the phone
    Install>>>>YouTube Activator 1.1.4 (2)
    again restart the phone, check if YouTube is working on wifi.
    If this doesnt work either then
    Uninstall the fix, restart the phone
    Install>>> YouTube Fix
    again restart the phone, check if YouTube is working on wifi.

NOTE: you need to install some sources to get the above fixes in your installer.
    1. unlock.no
    2. limitededitionphone.com

Its bound to work on wifi using these fixes... if you are successful in getting it running on wifi... check the results on EDGE... if videos are loading in the FEATURED tab BUT you get an error message "You need a Wifi or Edge connection to use YouTube" when you tap on any of those videos to play... the fix i have given above should work a charm...

post ur results...

I am also experiencing this EDGE connection problem. When creating a SSH connection to the phone using WinSCP, I do not see the Application directory. How do I find the Application directory?

@monekybusiness

log in to ur iphone using WinScp. In the right hand pane you will see a list of folders. Go back to the Root directory by keep on clicking on ".." till you get to the last folder
    or by selecting root from the drop down list on the top.

Then you will see the Applications folder and inside it you will see the YouTube.aap.
    Rename it to YouTube.BACKUP.
    Then follow the steps shown above.

Thanks Jajukhan. On my second attempt I got it right. My YouTube is now working. I still don't see an 'E' in the square in the top left corner. I always used to have Edge connectivity when my phone was on the original 1.0.2 version i.e. the 'E' never dissapeared. Is there anything I can do to get it back?

There is an EDGE icon fix available in the installer... give it a go.

hit thanks if the fix worked

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jajukhan For This Useful Post:

legs0 (2008-08-01)

im a lil confused. the folder you provided is supposed to be inside of the original but renamed youtube(youtube.backup) folder? What I did was rename the original you.app folder to the youtube.backup. then put your folder inside of that and transferred the .png
    None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See

@MakesMoves

No mate..

you need to rename the original "YouTube.app" folder to "YouTube.BACKUP".

Now put the "YouTube.app" folder provided by me in the main Applications folder and NOT inside the original YouTube.app folder.

I hope u get it now!

Guys, I'm new out here, how do I get the priviledge to download this file please?

I downloaded this file, installed it, (making a backup, of course), restarted my phone, but now Youtube opens, and goes back to the Springboard.

I reinstalled my backup, yet Youtube still just crashes.

I also have tried this technique to see if it will fix Youtube from crashing, but to no avail.
    Youtube Not Working On Your iPhone?: Steps To Fix

May anyone help me out; maybe provide your Youtube.app folder?

Default Edge on Telstra or just GPRS??
    Hi Jajukhan,

This sounds fantastic as I use Vodafone and when I was on 1.1.1, I always had the Edge symbol showing and could use YT over Vodafone's GPRS network. But now I've upgraded to 1.1.4 I can only use YT on WiFi. So. my question is; when you refer to Edge are you really meaning Telstra's Edge network or can I use your fix to be able to use YT over a GPRS network?

Waiting for your reply before I try your fix.

Thanks,
    Snapper11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast