Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Touchpad Pro over EDGE (guide)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Using Touchpad Pro over EDGE (guide)
    i have been fooling around with the full touchpad pro version for a bit. Screen-view is a very handy feature.

I have had success using this app to control my mac wirelessly from EDGE or from any wifi connection. I dont have much experience with VNC for windows so these tips are mostly for mac osx.

First off, dont use the built in screen sharing prefs in osx leopard. It works locally, but its not very reliable over the internet. Also, for it to work you have to toggle the "limit cpu" option which makes it a lot slower. I recommend Vine Server for osx you can get it from versiontracker.com. download and setup a host name and password.

More then likely you have some type of firewall (software, or hardware). If not, just enter x.x.x.x:5900 (replace x with your IP address) and you're done.

If you have a software firewall, make sure you open up port 5900. If you have a router forward port 5900 to your computers IP address.

The only problem you may be left with is if you have a dynamic IP (like me) your IP address could change and you have to update the information on your iphone every time. this is annoying but there is a solution.

I recommend making an account at dyndns.com. dyndns provides a service that will give you your own domain name and forward it to your ip address. once you setup your domain in touchpad enter yourdomain.yourdomain.com:5900 then your password.

This is one of my favorite apps for the iphone and this new feature is definitely a must buy. Once everything is setup it really is easy to use. im excited to see what features they add next

oh and make sure that if you use vine server, remember to turn screen sharing in osx prefs off or you will have a conflict. if you need to keep it on, you will have to change the port number in vine server.
    Last edited by theo huxtable; 2008-05-13 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theo huxtable For This Useful Post:

morphiusrt (2008-05-13), skinsgamer (2008-06-25), touchfullpad (2008-06-10)

thanks a lot theo!