Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Touch Screen Broken...Dock/SMB conflict?

Default Touch Screen Broken...Dock/SMB conflict?
    Hi all. I come to on my knees to plead for help!

I can fix most anything my iPhone can throw at me; indeed recently it would not restore (error in iTunes) after it froze and wouldn't boot past the Apple logo..but I got through that! Now, however, I am having a problem I cannot seem to fix!

My iPhone (1.1.4) has recently frozen. It's not stuck at the Apple logo, it boots fine. The problem is that once I'm in any application, the touch screen doesn't work. The app loads (and the touch screen works fine to launch/scroll in the springboard), but I cannot touch any button/feature/etc in any part of the app once it does load. The problem came after I installed Dock onto my phone, and I believe it is caused by a conflict with my SummerBoard/Customize theme (I forget the name..it's the most popular one in Customize in the "Top 40" list, with a really short name..Buuf? something like that. Great theme...), because I had installed Dock previously, before the restore, onto my phone (without any themes installed) and it worked fine.

Now the phone won't even launch the Dock rainbow thing (though the sparkle is there at the corner), the phone makes no sounds, and when I "sleep" the phone, the screen doesn't shut off (rather, it's an extremely dim version of the background/slider image you first get when you turn on the phone).

I know this is convoluted issue I'm describing, and I tried to go into Installer to uninstall Dock (but obvs can't for the reasons above), and so I'm wondering if there's any fix for this issue, besides doing YET ANOTHER restore (a huge pain)?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks

I run Dock/Categories and a bunch of other stuff that's supposed to screw your 1.1.3/4 on my 1.1.3, and it's usually fine, however this happens once in a while, exactly like you explained, after installing new things and what not.

I usually just reboot it a couple of times, or if that doesn't work, give it a hard reset and let it chill for a while. This has never failed for me, so if you haven't already, give it a try...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

benjybl (2008-05-05)

Thanks

same problem here before also....try to go to settings and reset all settings then reboot....if it worked for you then please press the thanks tab....and let me know

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlcaddie For This Useful Post:

blacksti (2008-05-06), drummette (2008-05-19)

Thanks

Oh my goodness... Right after posting my response, my phone started doing that and won't fix itself. Argh, this is a hella bad situation.

EDIT: Well, F me in the A, I think I've made a discovery.

This problem has to do with either a) battery level; low battery may cause it, or b) something to do with plugging it in.

I plugged it in after multiple restarts and stuff and it went back to working perfectly...
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 2008-05-05 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks! I tried restarting it numerous times, and it worked finally (and randomly..)!

@stlcaddie..I was trying to do that myself, but the problem was that once I got into "Settings" I couldn't press anything else!

@All Day..glad to hear you fixed your problem...annoying, eh?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you can ftp your phone and manually remove the folder for the program that was messin ya up. that should fix it.
    16 GB 1.1.4 Ziphone Unlocked, Activated, Jailbroken
    If I helped you make sure to hit the thanks button

[How To] Customize on 1.1.3 and 1.1.4......Windows Guide...............OS X Guide

How To Fix A Broken Ringer/Silent Switch

Thanks

benjybl - Yes, indeed. The random reset usually works after a while, though.

I too am having this same problem. I've tried multiple reboots, resets and removing new programs and nothing seems to work. The dimming thing also happens to me along with the main springboard working fine but the apps dont respond to the touch. I'm running 1.1.3 with SMB, customize and cydia and Advanced Settings.

Thanks

"This problem has to do with either a) battery level; low battery may cause it, or b) something to do with plugging it in.

I plugged it in after multiple restarts and stuff and it went back to working perfectly..."

Did you try this?

Default Springboard.app hangs, which is the problem
    install respring.app and run it whenever this happens it will fix your problems. i've had this problem, and continue to have this problem. i do not know what causes it exactly, i would assume that is is some corrupt modification by an app i've installed or something of that sort. also, when i press the sleep/wake button whatever was on the screen stays on the screen, albeit it dim, and then is unresponsive until i press the sleep/wake button again.

has anyone else had the flashing black and white bars or flashing other images after reboot/during startup?

i to have had the same prob but locked up and i got the white bars and all you discribe ..however i had to do a complete restore lost months of making it mine "bummer" and it didnt happen till i loaded the screwcommon thing

Thanks

Yeah, I get the white bars quite frequently when turning it on. As for the screen not responding, just plug it in and restart it.

did u installed Kate onto ur iphone?

Mine is doing the same exact thing. I turn it on it takes awhile to get passed the apple then random assortment of black and white bars flash. It comes on like normal i go to my main application page everything seems normal then you click on something then blam its all frozen.(i got on sms and i can click on clear like 500 times it just over laps each other and turns the screen black. its really hard you have to hit the button just right for it to work) but thats it haha. It started doing this in the middle of my english class right after i downloaded "kate". then it restarted. and all went to hell from there. when i got home i held down the kate app and tryed to uninstall it from there and it froze for like 2 min then all went back to normal. then i turned my phone on and off and it started over again. then i deleted "wallpaper" it froze again then it worked till this afternoon when i got a txt and the ring froze and wouldnt go off lol i tryed everything to smothering it under a pillow to get it to go off. so i was obligated to turn it off and its doing it again!!! and now when i try to delete an app it doesnt enen have "x's" when the buttons are shaking. Im turning it off and on and its doing nothing. When you say "restart are you just holding the sleep button and it going off and you turn it back on or are you hard turning it off?

PLLLLLEAAAASSEEEE HEEELLLLPPP!

and my itunes has some error that doesnt let me restore it! and i really dont want to restore it bc i have TONS of stuff i dont want deleted. This is a real pain.

i have the same problem as you the OP. Usually a random reset makes it work perfectly but I still don't know whats causing the problem. Pleaes someone figure this out

Now I'm afraid to reboot my iPhone...

Please Someone.

Also someone above said its Dock. Are you sure? Have you tested it?

Thanks

Dock has been known to mess stuff up...

I still use it because I can always get my phone to work again, but I want to use Categories, so I may uninstall it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ajustcircle View Post
    install respring.app and run it whenever this happens it will fix your problems. i've had this problem, and continue to have this problem. i do not know what causes it exactly, i would assume that is is some corrupt modification by an app i've installed or something of that sort. also, when i press the sleep/wake button whatever was on the screen stays on the screen, albeit it dim, and then is unresponsive until i press the sleep/wake button again.

has anyone else had the flashing black and white bars or flashing other images after reboot/during startup?
    I have had the flashing black/white bars too. As well as the main non-working touch screen problem that is of concern. In fact, my touch screen problem began right after I powered on the screen (following some changes made in Theme Builder) and the black/white flashing bars would not stop. The phone never booted up. I had to do a hard reset, and this is when the touch screen problem began. My battery is fully charged, so that is not it. I have done hard resets, turning it on and off, plugging it in repeatedly with no success.

I will say this, I had the black/white flashing bars when I had 1.11 installed but it never caused any major problems. I now have 1.14 and its a disaster.

Thanks

Just keep try to turn it on and off.

On another note, are we all in agreement that it must be the Dock app that causes this?

I want to use Categories, but have no idea whether or not it's safe when Dock is not present. Help?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

Dave.ec (2008-08-22)

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey guys.

I have just recently had this problem. I'm running 1.1.4 JB and I don't have Dock OR Categories installed. I freaked out after a couple of restarts (both sleep and Hard restarts) because I have had this problem before, and it usually fixed itself after a couple of restarts. This time, it didn't fix itself at all.

Finally, I took it out of my dock and UN- plugged it. I did a hard restart and now it's working fine.

One thing I'd like to mention; I did have Intelliscreen installed, so this might have caused some issues.

I'm just glad because my iPod Touch is working fine w/out a Restore.

Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast