Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hotmail on iPhone in mail.app FREE! (Windows Live)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Fresh's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hotmail on iPhone in mail.app FREE! (Windows Live)
    Hello all!

Just by coincidence I found a way to forward Hotmail messages to any mail account for free (a.k.a Windows Live Mail).
    I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if this works everywhere in the world, but give it a try.

Here's the story (translated NL=>EN from my post at www.iphoneclub.nl http://www.iphoneclub.nl/forum/e-mai...s-truukje.html)
    Carriers might be different for you, depending on where in the world you are.

With a standard free Hotmail account you can only forward e-mails to hotmail.com, msn.com or live.** accounts.
    Unfortunately you can't forward to Gmail or any other e-mail account.

Still I managed to forward my Hotmail messages to Gmail without using any 3rd party app or proxy!
    With this trick you can forward your Hotmail messages to any e-mail account of your choice to use its pop3 or IMAP access functionality.
    This will allow you to read your Hotmail on your iPhone using the standard mail application.
    The trick is to sign up with Microsoft for Hotmail SMS "mobile alerts".
    Strangly this will give you the option to forward mail to any mail account.
    Usually you (in The Netherlands) have to pay 0.25 per sms e-mail alert when receiving a new Hotmail message.
    The good thing is that you can switch off the "mobile alerts" after signing up. By doing so, you will never receive an sms alert, so no added costs!

While signing up there's no need to enter credit card or bank account information.
    You will receive 1 sms to activate the sms mobile alert functionality, but that's all!

The service is available to all user that have an account with T-Mobile, KPN/Hi, Telfort and Orange (in the Netherlands, check your local availability).

Please note that the button and link tags might differ slightly from what I translated. I did however change the language of my Hotmail account to English to make sure that most of the information is accurate.

This is how it works:
    1. Visit http://join.msn.com/
    2. Click on "Hotmail for mobile phones".
    3. Read the information thoroughly! Also the pricing part.
    4. Now click on "register now" and after that click "register now" again.
    5. Chose your mobile operator and fill in your mobile phone number.
    6. Finish the rest of the sign-up process. Don't check the boxes for Hotmail alerts and MSN alerts!
    7. In the sign-up settings specify to NOT receive any SMS alerts for Hotmail messages. Leave the other settings to stay as specified in your Hotmail account.
    8. Finish the subscription. You'll now receive an activation SMS with a 4 digit code. Enter this code on the activation page. This is the only sms you'll receive and pay through your mobile carrier.
    9. After the subscription visit your Hotmail account with your web browser. Now go to "options"=>"more options".
    10. In the section "Customize your mail" go to option "mobile alerts for new messages" and make sure the option "None. Never send me mobile alerts" is selected. You will never receive any alert sms by setting this option so you will stay free of charges! Press save.
    11. In the section "Manage your account" visit "Forward mail to another e-mail account".
    12. Fill in any e-mail address you want you Hotmail to be forwarded to, for instance your Gmail account. Press save and confirm the setting by clicking the link in the e-mail that has been sent to the specified e-mail address. The setting has now been accepted by Hotmail!
    13. Configure your Gmail or other mail account on the iPhone (if you haven't already done so) and receive your Hotmail messages on the iPhone!

Have fun!

Attention! If you make a wrong setting, you might receive mobile sms alerts and it'll cost you!
    Pay attention to what you're doing. It's your responsibility to make the right settings!
    For me it works perfect and it's free!
    Last edited by Fresh; 2007-11-04 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

old news ..had forwarding for months!!!

Thanks

Wouldn't work for us in Europe, though. Even contacted MS about this.

where does it say:

2. Click on "Hotmail for mobile phones".
    ???

Thanks

The site keeps appearing in Dutch here, can't check what it is in any other language. Might also be something like "Hotmail for mobile devices".

Does this still work? I just tried and couldn't manage it.

Thanks

It works in NL. Seems like MS uses different policies all over the world....

Great tip Fresh,

But what do we need to put in the required fields on the Iphone after thats all done:

Incoming Mail server Host Name:
    and
    Outgoing Mail server Host name.

Thanks!

Was able to sign up for sms services, but it would not take my gmail address... oh well... one more nail in the coffin...

i have paid hotmail account but i dont know how to setup account in my iphone or how to forward emails to other emails can someone guide me ?
    Core To Quad 6600 2.4 Ghz(4x2 MB cache), 1x4 GB RAM(888 MHz)
    Nvidia 512 MB (256 Bit) 7950 GT Graphics Card
    Wireless Mouse,Keyboard,HeadPhone,Wireless BroadBand
    HP W2408 Vivid Color 24" Widescreen Flat LCD Monitor

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tavillo's Avatar
    Thanks

it doesnt work for the U.S.

Is there any way to get hotmail email onto an iPhone? Are there any apps to do this?
    So many apps.. so little time!

So the only choices are:-

1. Getmail - but u have to have your pc on all the time
    2. Izymail but its not free
    3. Forward your emails to something like Gmail, but when you reply to an email, it replies from the Gmail account which may not be (isn't in my case) what u want.

Is that it?

This would have been the best option

tavillo can i ask what settings are u using in yur iphone when you tried Freshs idea....i mean like my previous question

Tried forwarding to Gmail using this method (which I understand you can actually reply using a different address) and it doesn't work, keeps coming up with a 'connection timed out error'. So I guess in the UK this doesnt work
    Last edited by mousem40; 2007-12-21 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

woww this worked perfect for mee..thanksss

Default Thanks, It worked for me.
    Im loving it, it works perfectly, I had been having problems trying to connect to izymail for the pasta few weeks, thank god, I found this one out. Thanks for posting this info.

wooww!It's work for me(HK)!thanks:>

17. The Following User Says Thank You to edtrick For This Useful Post:

Wirefoxterrier (2010-07-12)

Thanks

So this trick is now confirmed working in:

NL
    BE
    HK

Anyone else?
    iFoneguide