Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Summerboard crashes... becomming more frequent

Exclamation Summerboard crashes... becomming more frequent
    Hey guys,

I believe this might be my first post. I've been a "browser" of these forums for quite some time now.

I have a pretty crazy iphone story. To start off, Im looking at a reciept that says that i bought the iphone on June 29th at 18:06pm (6 minutes after the release ^_^ i was on the 6 o'clock news as the first person to get it in my city haha). I love this phone to death. I had it stolen after about a month and a half of use. 5 days later I managed to retrieve it. Sent it off to colorware to get it painted. Ordered the body shield, along with the sidewinder holster and the cigarette lighter holder. Got my iphone back after a 2-week paint job, checked the order, had 2 days before all of my accessories came in. Next day, for the first time, because i was in a rush, i dropped it on the ground >.< so now i gottu send it off to get it repainted. well... My problems actually came up after it was stolen - after deactivating it, getting it back and then trying to re-activate it through AT&T with the old and new (from AT&T, since old SIM didn't work) SIM card I kept getting no service. Decided to try to run anySIM (i thought that might give me service). Didn't work (this is where I think I messed up the baseband and their momma). I think after dumping NOR is where I had an error saying the process failed. Called AT&T, bs'ed what I did, talked to tier 3 support (or w.e. its called), since 2 of my machines wouldnt recognize the phone in any mode (normal or restore). Got the problem fixed over the phone, restored. Thought I had a virgin 1.0.2.

That's where myphone's summerboard started crashing (home screen goes either completely black or you see icons on black bg, w/ no scrolling, and I have to use the Dock to bring up summerboard properties and restart it). It woud do that maybe once in 2-3 days. No biggie. Last 3 days I had to do it like 3-10 times. Sooo my baseband's messed up, or am I just running out of memory (RAM?)... since i have just about every app installed (56 icons on my summerboard)? Did I mention when I tried to restore one of the times to fix the problem, iTunes said it synced my info, then after restore, gave me the option to restore my settings...apparently, without 250 of my contacts. As you can imagine, I was pissed... Anywho...

Can somebody recommend (step-by-step, direct links to guides, maybe?) what i should do as far as virginizing to 1.0.2, jailbreaking (w/ iBrickr i would assume?) to use 3rd party apps, and should I wait to upgrade to 1.1.1, or is it running all 3rd party apps already?

Any help appriciated,
    Hanney.

Bonus question: Is it possible to have an unlocked iphone, and still use AT&T, with the ability to show it off to my T-Mobile friends with their SIM cards? How would one go about doing so?

Extra bonus - any way to back up all settings before virginizing/restoring? Could you just copy settings files and put em back where they belong (settings, sms, typed-in searches). Does anybody have a list of locations of these files?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by hanney; 2007-10-31 at 10:53 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chancre_scolex's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the same problem before I updated to 1.1.1 and rejailbroke with jailbreakme.com.

iTunes backs up everything for me when I restore. Contacts, Calendars, Notes, SMS... Are you on a mac?
    Last edited by chancre_scolex; 2007-10-31 at 11:20 PM.
    I've got two states of mind, stoned and asleep

I'm on 2 diff pcs. XP and Vista/XP dual boot. Vista worked perfectly fine (never used the XP dual boot to temper with the iphone) with restores (god only knows how many I've went through), but the older XP pc is where I lost everything (said it synced everything, then didnt put anything back on there). I only used the XP pc because my Vista computer crashed the day of and had to be restored.

I just seem very unlucky with restores. It's losing 250 contacts is where I became very precautious about backing up everything before performing such tasks haha.
    Last edited by hanney; 2007-10-31 at 11:29 PM.

Do you have the Dim Wallpaper option turned on in SMBPrefs? Try turning it off if so, and see if that helps.

To: chancre_scolex

whoa, i just realized that you said you had the same problem... lol sry

did you just update to 1.1.1 through itunes? no virginizing?

are you using 3rd party apps? are there any known problems with them?

Thanks for the help,
    Much appreciated.

To: NetMage

if you're talking about the alpha, then yes, i do.

If I'm going to have to actually change the bg opacity and manually upload it - I think I might as well virginize (I just need some clarification on weather I need to or not)

Thanks.
    Last edited by hanney; 2007-11-01 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had 1.0.2 jailbroken and restored to plain 1.0.2 before doing manual jailbreak then used SSH to add afc2 service. I have a fair number (3 pages total) of applications installed and since turning off Dim Wallpaper, have crashed once in about 1.5 weeks.
    And that was Safari, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NetMage View Post
    I had 1.0.2 jailbroken and restored to plain 1.0.2 before doing manual jailbreak then used SSH to add afc2 service. I have a fair number (3 pages total) of applications installed and since turning off Dim Wallpaper, have crashed once in about 1.5 weeks.
    And that was Safari, I believe.
    i don't believe ive seen the term "afc2" before. If you dont mind explaining what it is.

Update: I'm using Leopard with the mini dock, and alpha at about 75&#37;, if that's what the problem is?

Search the forums on posts on how to add the service.

Basically the term jailbreak was originally used to mean modifying the com.apple.afc service which gives iTunes access to the iPhone for synch, to give access to the entire filesystem. Devs later realized they could create a second service, com.apple.afc2, to give full filesystem access while preserving iTunes compatiblity so you didn't have to re-jail the iPhone after modifying files on it.

iBrickr, iFuntastic, iPhoneBrowser (manzana) all use the afc2 service to access the filesystem.

If it's not too much to ask, could someone please help me with some of the unanswered questions.

I'm getting a little antsy since tonite the sound stopped working, but then after i got a text messege it started working again... I think I would really like to virginize my phone, but i'm not sure which guide to use (a lot of these show unsuccessful, am i right?).

I really appreciate all the help!
    Last edited by hanney; 2007-11-01 at 06:35 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone chancre_scolex's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry Hanney. Been away all day. If you still need help, here you go:

There is a virginizer pack for your phone under MMi downloads. Simply follow the instructions. Then go to Jailbreakme.com. That will jailbreak your phone and install installer with one click. Then getting ssh on your phone is easy with openssh through installer. Any other questions, you can IM me if Im not on MMi.

Good luck!
    I've got two states of mind, stoned and asleep