Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chess. Where is it?

Default Chess. Where is it?
    Any talks of a native chess game in development. Usually its one of the first homebrew apps to come out on handhelds. im suprised one isnt out yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by medafor View Post
    Any talks of a native chess game in development. Usually its one of the first homebrew apps to come out on handhelds. im suprised one isnt out yet.
    Download an online iPhone chess game and put it on your iPhone to run it through Safari. Online Iphone games usually consist of index.html, a PHP file, maybe a couple of javascripts and PNGs. Pretty easy to webdump.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Download an online iPhone chess game and put it on your iPhone to run it through Safari. Online Iphone games usually consist of index.html, a PHP file, maybe a couple of javascripts and PNGs. Pretty easy to webdump.
    hmm. if you figure this out post a tutorial when you get a chance. im not sure how to do this and set it up on my phone. it would be cool if you can do it with shredder.

Thanks

hmm. if you figure this out post a tutorial when you get a chance. im not sure how to do this and set it up on my phone. it would be cool if you can do it with shredder.
    Ok, will do.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Heh - I could see Shredder or Rybka on the iPhone...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Another app that would seem to be easy would be a native Solitaire. Any way of creating that?

I helped someone get shredderchess sorted out as an app on another thread.... I'll put it together and post it, sure the other fella won't mind! Its still Web based, but at least accessible from the dash.....

Edit: Here we go. Called iChess but its actually Shredder Chess.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by corky100; 2007-10-25 at 11:53 PM.

I would like Chess on the iPhone. But then again, I already think enough people have been beaten by computers at Chess. And now to be beaten wherever I am...

i could be retarted but couldent somone just take the app off a mac and transfer it to the iphone... just leave out the voice command...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corky100 View Post
    I helped someone get shredderchess sorted out as an app on another thread.... I'll put it together and post it, sure the other fella won't mind! Its still Web based, but at least accessible from the dash.....

Edit: Here we go. Called iChess but its actually Shredder Chess.
    This is actually just an icon to bring you to the Chess website. Natively, means it's on your phone, no need for an internet connection.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Thanks

Okie. Here's what I did. As I use a Mac, I ran Blue Crab (a web dumper) and grabbed the iChess site for offline browsing. But in order to get all the files necessary, you have to trick the website into thinking you're using your iPhone to connect to it. You can do this by changing the "User Agent" information. Instead of the regular things like Opera/8.0, Safari/412, Firefox/1.0.4, enter your own in the form "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en)". That way the website thinks you're using an iPhone and gives you all the files necessary to use on an iphone.

Then I simply copied over the entire website (with a couple of adjustments) to my iPhone into the /Lirbary/Webserver/Documents folder. This folder is automatically set up when you install Apache.

Notice the web address in the pic is the localhost. I've dumped some other game sites using this method as well. Handy when you don't want to rack up those data charges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image.png  

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

apsk121 (2007-12-11), jrentzke (2007-12-15)

Hi Eurisko,

many thanks for the info. I'm almost there....
    1) I got Apache intalled.
    2) I got the files from ichess.morfick.com and moved them into the folder you said. I had to put 'std-' at the start of some of the names of the webpages. eg. std-simple.html
    3) I checked Apache works and I can access the ichess game, but not all the images are there when I play.

Could you upload a folder with all the files?
    I'm using windows and I think the web dump app I use is having problems downloading all the png's needed for some reason...

Thanks

Place the Images folder in your /Library/Webserver/Documents folder NOT the folder your Chess web files have been placed in. The Chess program will look in the root webserver folder for these.

Also, you don't need to rename the files with "std-" the iPhone will do that for you when you run the game on the iPhone itself. (this will not work on a regular browser you may have noticed).

PS: You'll have to send me your email address PM cause the file it too big for this forum to allow.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

ghhhg (2007-11-15)

will be nice to have a nice standalone chess game instead of all this mc gyver thing lolz

Problem solved!

I was using HTTrack (with the user agent settings you said) to download the site and it didn't get all the images. Most probably something to do with the HTTrack program. So anyway, I went to the website and just manually saved the missing ones through my browser, placing them in the same directory as the other images.

Thanks!

PS. By the way I am using an ipod touch, maybe this is why I needed to add 'std' at the start of some files...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghhhg View Post
    Problem solved!
    PS. By the way I am using an ipod touch, maybe this is why I needed to add 'std' at the start of some files...
    Ahh... possibly. Well as long as it works for you. And you can do this with other games you want too. I have Hangman, Mastermind, Solitaire...

isnt this kind of a form of stealing if the maker hasnt made this for the iphone and/or hasnt agreed to share their game for what you ppl are implementing it for???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1_iPhone_Lovin_Canadian View Post
    isnt this kind of a form of stealing if the maker hasnt made this for the iphone and/or hasnt agreed to share their game for what you ppl are implementing it for???
    These games are designed for iPhone specifically, and as they do not charge for their games to be played online, they are sharing it in the public domain. There's nothing wrong with offloading a website so you can use it natively on your device. If the makers of the games wished to copyright their material, they would prevent such measures as web dumping from taking place.

can you send the addresses for these games then, as i have been trying to find more games

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1_iPhone_Lovin_Canadian View Post
    can you send the addresses for these games then, as i have been trying to find more games
    The one we've all been talking about here is at morfik.ichess.com

You can also get lots of games from www.appsafari.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast