Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is it possible to use the iphone in "disk mode"?

Default is it possible to use the iphone in "disk mode"?
    hi, a little help please... im looking for a way in which to put the iphone into diskmode. i know apple didnt allow for it, but i know there must be a way/equivalent work around. i have remotenote working to let me put whatever text i need on my phone without any extra programs on the actual comp, and i was wondering if there was a way to do this with other things. for example... i work on picture editing and video editing at school for various projects, and would like a way to easily put them on my phone. its too much of a hassle to email 20 some odd pics to myself, so is it possible? im using macs, and im not allowed to download any software on them....school stuff... so no fugu or the likes. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

yes, you can install afp (apple filesharing protocol) on your iphone. Your iphone should show up as a shared drive on your mac. or you can just access it from its ip address at the connect to server... menu option. default username/password is root/alpine. Its best to save files to "Root Home", as this sits on the bigger partition. use bosstools and the appropriate plugin to enable/disable this feature.
    Last edited by desepticon; 2008-04-14 at 07:24 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    yes, you can install afp (apple filesharing protocol) on your iphone. Your iphone should show up as a shared drive on your mac. or you can just access it from its ip address at the connect to server... menu option. default username/password is root/alpine. Its best to save files to "Root Home", as this sits on the bigger partition. use bosstools and the appropriate plugin to enable/disable this feature.
    Is there anyway It can be used in windows environment?
    Buang

awesome i knew there was a way. thanks!
    by the way, i dont have a mac with me atm... so exactly how does this work? like tomorrow at school would i need to bring my usb cable with me? or as long as its on the same network it works? or they both work? thanks for the help

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

for the person asking about windows: no, not without installing additional software on the computer. You would need OpenSSH on your iphone and an ssh client would be needed on the comp. afp is macs only.

for the original poster, it will work as long as your on the same wireless network. You might be able to do it over usb, I think I heard someone saying it was possible, but I dont really know. Once you have the software on your iphone(bsd subsystem and afp), you can press apple-k (or use the Go/Connect to server... menu) then enter your phones ip address to connect to your phone.
    Last edited by desepticon; 2008-04-14 at 08:10 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.