Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What are these programs running in the background?

Default What are these programs running in the background?
    Hi... I've just been finished installing everything that i wanted onto my iphone but I was wondering what these processes in SysInfo was doing and whether it'd effect my battery life....

I've got the following running :

notifyd
    mediaserverd
    ptpd
    update
    syslogd
    lockdownd
    mDNSResponder
    iapd
    crashreporterd
    configd
    SpringBoard
    ComCenter
    dns-sd
    launchd
    kernel_task

Also I've got 93MB memory free is that normal??

Thanks!!

Tak

Thanks

Most of those preocceses are ones that make the iPhone "Live" if those werent there it wouldn't do anything. Spring board is your homescreen on your iphone.
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars478 For This Useful Post:

takumahabu (2008-04-15)

Yeah... I tried killing some of them... not fun.

Thanks it's just that on robota website sysinfo screenshot has a lot less apps running that on mine so i was just wondering! Thanks!

Thanks

Don't Forget to Press THANKS!!!
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone know any sites that tell what those specific processes on the iPhone are? I know a lot of them are Mac OS X/Darwin processes and also apply to Macs but.. i would really like to know what they are just because sometimes i see some that aren't on others.

it would help identify which processes may be running due to some thing I installed, etc. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like seeing things he doesn't understand in a process list.
    <madrussian> in russia, you dont remove installer.app, it removes you!

Wanted to bring this thread back up n regards to Free Memory on the iPhone.

In the SbSettings free memory thread people posted their free memory which ranged from ~50MB to as low as ~10MB.
    Regardless to where your free memory settles it usually starts out at ~58MB.

If you see the first post in this thread the original poster is asking if his 93MB of free memory is normal.
    I've also seen old (1.1.4) Sysinfo screen shots which show 88MB memory.

So my question is, what happened to all the free memory after the 2.0+ firmware?

It seems that prior to 2.0+ firmware people had 90-80MB free memory and now it's around 50MB and below.

well.... I dont know the numbers exactly... but I would have to believe that the introduction of FW 2.+ brought a completely different springboard and a different way of processing information... in return... more consumption of memory.
    8Gig > 1.0 FW (dead spot on screen)
    8Gig > 1.0.2 FW (broken vibrate after a while)
    8Gig > 1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2(Jonny5 Still alive)

i have 32 mb after reboot,im checking with SB settings,
    2.2 firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblader View Post
    well.... I dont know the numbers exactly... but I would have to believe that the introduction of FW 2.+ brought a completely different springboard and a different way of processing information... in return... more consumption of memory.
    That's what I'm thinking along with the introduction of the AppStore.
    It's unfortunate that it made such a significant drop.

I believe the new security features for the native applications are the main culprit, unfortunately. I also believe it is why Safari crashes more on picture heavy pages.

If Apple could split SpringBoard into a UI portion and a resident portion, it might make more space available when a foreground application is running.

Hopefully they are working on it for 3.0.
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage