Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: root, mobile password change?

Default root, mobile password change?
    Hi all,

For the record, I'm one of the countless numbers of newbies who ignored the not-so-fine (BIG!) print that said, "Don't use the passwd command to change the root password on your iPhone. <sigh>

Having recovered from my initial heart attack, then re-flashing my iPhone, and now admitting to the world the error of my ways, here's a question: I know that I can safely change the root password by using the passwd command against root on some other Apple box, then performing a copy /paste (or manually typing) the encrypted string into the iPhone's /etc/passwd file via a text editor.

But, does the installer program (or anything else) rely on having the root password be the secret ("shhh") value "alpine"? Ditto, the mobile account? I don't want to mess up the installer.

I'd love to keep the ssh daemon running at all times, but I'm on a large wireless LAN at the college shared by umpteen million students (read: would-be crackers and hackers) so I don't dare risk leaving it on for any period of time.

Thanks,

Phil

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

download Cydia. it has a better BSD subsystem that has a working passwd command. after you download and install it you can use it to change the root password.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Default root, mobile password change?
    Thanks, desepticon.

Actually, I have downloaded Cydia. I totally spaced out on the fact that it has an improved BSD kernel, and no doubt a functional passwd command (although I'm extremely gun-shy about trying it ;-). Thanks for pointing this out.

The larger question remains: what's "broken" (if anything) if I change the root and/or mobile password? Does the installer stop automatically loading or updating new software? I'm woefully ignorant as to the protocol (http, scp, etc.) that Installer and Cydia use.

Thanks,

Phil

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

I have changed my root password and have experienced no ill effects. I don't know about the mobile pass though, I haven't done that.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.