Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Install app or Web Clip causes springboard hang & freeze on boot

Default Install app or Web Clip causes springboard hang & freeze on boot
    I am not sure where this post is appropriate, but I have Google'd the heck out of this and I can't find an answer.

I am running 1.1.4 unlocked with iJailbreak. Things have been fine for a while but all of a sudden I can no longer install applications from Installer.app and I also cannot add web clips via Safari to the Home screen (I get the error "Could not add this page to the Home screen because an error occurred"). If I proceed to install anything from installer that adds a home screen icon the Springboard just hangs with a spinning gear. If I reboot the iPhone in this case the phone will hang on the Apple boot icon. This seems to come back over and over again. A restore will get the phone working and I can add apps until a certain point where this problem recurs. After several bouts of this I finally learned that I can get my phone working again without a restore by SSH-ing into the phone and manually deleting the last app added. That will get the phone responsive, sometimes one more boot is necessary.

I would love to know what the underlying cause of this is and how I can deal with this better. For the record, I have 79 apps installed on the phone, and according to Boss Tool plenty of space left. I have tried to delete a not-so-important app and install something to replace it and also no success.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Sam

when I used liberty to jailbreak 1.1.4 the first thing I did was open installer. I then proceeded to accept the installer update. After the update my keyboard started freezing when I tried to add sources. After that it ended up freezing the whole iPod. I threw it into recovery mode and restored it and rejailbroke. I have not updated installer and will not because it works fine and I am convinced that it caused my problem. If all else fails give it a shot.
    I would have my URL here so you could hear our music but apparently that's sig spam. WTF?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@tyszler:

you've hit the max apps allowed on the phone. that's why when you SSH in and delete the last app you've installed that's exceeded the limit, your phone comes back

Thanks. I didn't know there is a hard numeric limit. I will delete a couple and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by jtesnani View Post
    @tyszler:

you've hit the max apps allowed on the phone. that's why when you SSH in and delete the last app you've installed that's exceeded the limit, your phone comes back
    What IS the max app allow?

Apparently 80. However it appears that if you have summerboard installed, which I didn't, that this limit doesn't apply. Since installing summerboard I haven't pushed it back over 80 apps, so I can't say for sure if that works. Can anyone attest to this?