Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi 4 and USB tethering

Default MyWi 4 and USB tethering
    Hello,

I have a problem with USB tethering.
    It works well to share my iPhone 3G connexion.
    But it does not work to share the Wifi connexion.

Is it a known problem ?
    Thanks
    iPhone 3GS 32Go, iOS 4.0 (Sn0nwbreeze).
    iPad Wifi 64Go, iOS 3.2 (Spirit).

Funny, I have never used the USB tethering feature from mywi. Go wireless and if you are concerned about others using your wifi, then password-protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by boochase View Post
    Funny, I have never used the USB tethering feature from mywi. Go wireless and if you are concerned about others using your wifi, then password-protect it.
    I am not concerned about others, but USB tethering is faster and easier to use.
    And BlueTooth seems unavailable in MyWi 4.

jt69: To share your wifi connection - make sure WiFi Tethering is turned off and you're connected to a WiFi. If WiFi Tethering is turned on, you can't share your wifi connection via USB
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Thanks for the answer. I tried again, but got the same result:
    Wifi tethering is turned off. USB tethering is turned on.
    "Bridged to" is set to Wifi in "Advanced USB".
    When I try to connect from my Mac, I get a valid IP address from the iPhone, but then I have no connectivity (Safari, mail, etc)

Default USB Tethering
    I am having the same problem. USB tethering DOES NOT work. I need usb tethering and it no longer provides a valid IP and fails to activate the tethering section under settings, it only has the "setup tethering" option to call ATT

I thought "Bridged to" was supposed to be set to 3g.

Thanks

The USB tethering works for me via 3G connection, I haven't tried the wifi.

After downloading and installing iTunes apparently a driver in that program allows me to use USB tethering.
    In device manager I then updated Network adapter drivers
    Last edited by Urrl; 2010-08-04 at 04:26 PM.

well unless the driver has changed something is up because it worked fine on my 3gs.

Please note that this thread is about USB tethering of the Wifi connexion using MyWi 4. USB tethering of the 3G connexion is ok for me, as was USB tethering of the Wifi connexion using MyWi 3. The problem now is USB tethering of the Wifi connexion in MyWi 4. Thank you.
    Last edited by jt_69.V; 2010-08-05 at 06:57 AM.

I posted in a separate thread about this, but I have the same issue as everyone -- tethering over USB of an available WiFi connection appears not to work. Though what I have found is that I have connectivity but only via numerical IP addresses. This implies that DNS services are not correctly offered by the phone to the tethered device (i.e. laptop). If this is what's wrong then I figure this is sufficiently obvious and important that it'll get fixed in the next update.

Anyone know what your supposed to do on the computer? Do I need to add a network interface to "Settings" manually? Nothing appears on the mac when I connect the USB cable.

Same thing here, I cant get OSX to see the USB tethering any more.. Any suggestions?

I have the same problem mentioned above: DNS is screwed up by MyWi.

I am trying it on a Windows PC. MyWi is setting DNS to 172.16.64.215.... where the heck it got that from I don't know.

So I manually changed DNS to 192.168.21.1 on the PC.... using a static IP of 192.168.21.10 and gateway of 192.168.21.1. That worked sporatically.

I then set DNS to Google DNS, 8.8.8.8 and it worked reliably so obviously MyWi is screwed up in how its DHCP is setting DNS IP, and how it itself bridges DNS to DNS.

MyFi won't even work right via WiFi. Have the same DNS issue. Even with manually setting IP I can't get it to work with WiFi.

The DHCP DNS problem seems like a glaring flaw and I can't see how that was not caught.

Michael

I'm having the same problem but on a Windows machine. Tethering over USB of an available WiFi connection appears not to work.

When I enable WiFi Tethering with MyWi USB WiFi (not 3G), my iPhone drops its current WiFi connection at my work, and instead automatically connects to the MyWi WiFi Name I gave it, creating a loop to itself, which of course won't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tethering the phone's WiFi connection over USB now seems to work -- at least, the DNS bug a few of us were reporting in another thread seems to have been resolved in the most recent version (v4.4). The same update might fix the other issues that have been reporting in this thread.