Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't connect with MyWi 4. Also trial period weird. Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't connect with MyWi 4. Also trial period weird. Any ideas?
    I had previously tried the last version of MyWi and it worked great. This is on my iPhone 3G jailbroke with PwnageTool and unlocked with ultrasn0w.

I tested MyWi 4 by trying to get my MBP to connect to the MyWi network instead of my usual home network.

It *sees* the MyWi network, but I'm never prompted to enter the WEP password I created in MyWi so it never connects.

Also, despite the instructions, MyWi does seem to allow the screen to go into lock/sleep mode.

One more thing...

It's supposed to have a 10 day free trial.

The first time I started it is already said I was down to 9 days.

Then the next time I tried it a few minutes later it said I was down to 8 days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

doug

iPhone? More like MyPhone duceduc's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 3G iphone, iOS4 user
    I am having issues with mywi4 4.1.3 as well. It never got it to work on 4.0.99 and with this update, it is still the same. I can connect to wifi tethering somethings, but it disable my network wifi and 3G as well.

I have tried several restore of the phone, uninstalling/ reinstalling mywi4. Nothing is working. I am ready to throw in the towel at this point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I uninstalled MyWi (since I can't get it to work) from Rock (which seemed to have installed itself when I started up MyWi).

How do I get rid of Rock now? Anybody know?

Thanks,

doug

Thanks

You can go to Cydia and uninstall from there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, duceduc. That worked. If only MyWi did.

doug

Thanks

Yea, glad I didn't pay for the app yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm afraid that by the time they fix it my trial period will have expired so I'll never actually have a chance to test it.

doug

Thanks

I thought I had it working. I have tried toggling back and from from mywi, and settings, and safari to test the connection. I did this for about 1 minute switching back and forth between wifi tethering and off again. Then, I lost 3G network.

Maybe it doesn't work for us both having softbank as the carrier.
    Last edited by duceduc; 2010-07-06 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Doug: try without the wep
    duceduc: it disables 3G? Disable wifi first manually - make sure Safari can browse the web. If so, then turn on MyWi (please note - you must have iOS 3.1+)
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Thanks

duceduc: it disables 3G? Disable wifi first manually - make sure Safari can browse the web. If so, then turn on MyWi (please note - you must have iOS 3.1+)
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have tried that as well. I get it working for awhile but than when I shut off wifi tethering, I lose my 3G network and my wifi setting in phone froze.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I tried again, this time adding Rock first and downloading from there. And I made sure to reboot an extra time. I even turned off WEP security in MyWi.

My iMac *sees* the MyWi network, it just can't connect with it.

7 trial days left...

Can anybody think of anything else to try? This is an iPhone 3G running iOS4. I tried it jailbroken with PwnageTool and also with rednsn0w0.9.5b5 (which it is now).

doug

A quick check on something...

My regular wifi router shows up under "Networks" but my iPhone running MyWi shows up under "Devices" in the Airport menu. Is this part of the problem?

doug
    Last edited by douglerner; 2010-07-07 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

No - the devices = it's an adhoc network and is correct. U turned off WEP in MyWi - but you're iMac might have a saved wep key. Try changing the name of the network in the MyWi settings tab. When you say connect - u mean get an IP address?
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi. I did try changing the network, from the default that was set up to just "DougNet" but that didn't help.

When I mean connect I mean having the airport icon on the menu bar of my iMac show solid bars (like it does now when connected to my wireless router) and the Internet access still works and there is a received IP address from MyWi.

I also tried from my MBP - same thing.

This did work very well on my iPhone 3G using 3.1.3 and the previous version of MyWi. But with this version there just doesn't seem to be a "connection" taking place.

I'm not even prompted to enter my WEP key. It couldn't have it from before because I never saved one before. Also I tried it with WEP security turned off too, but it didn't help.

I wonder what the problem could be?

Currently I've uninstalled Rock and MyWi because I was getting things like "lost data connection" and an inability to even manually switch my iPhone back to wi-fi. After uninstalling my iPhone is working normally again.

I would try again if somebody had any ideas over what might be wrong.

One thing I noticed - whenever I uninstall and then re-install MyWi my previous settings are "remembered" - network name and WEP key. So it seems that uninstalling still leaves data on my iPhone 3G. That persists even through a new jailbreak and restore! Could that be the problem - that there is some bad data there? Why doesn't MyWi remove its data when uninstalling? Is there something I can manually remove via SSH to truly start over again?

Thanks,

doug

Thanks

I'm still playing with it and still losing data connection. After a reboot to get me wifi&3G connection back, I start up mywi to test. I'm able to connect via wifi tethering for 2 connection before it disable my wifi network and 3G. I start the process all over again with a reboot & still mywi would allow me to wifi tethering for two times before it disable my connection again.

At this point, I'm out of ideas on how to fix the lost my 3G network.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No doubt, the devs added extra anti-piracy code and as usual, this crapola is interferring with the normal operation of legit users.

Piracy is wrong. Buy anti-piracy measures make good programs break.

On a similar note, every 3 or 4 months my 4-yr old Dell/XP system thinks I'm stealing their ancient OS.

Thanks

Huh???

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psuskeels View Post
    Doug: try without the wep
    Hey I have iOS 4 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.5 and when I installed the trial version of MyWi 4.0 Rock printed me to reboot and I did. When I started up it immediately said: "Could not activate cellular data network." I revolted the phone and it didn't say anything, but my Internet stopped working (3G) I could only make calls. I uninstalled MyWi and revolted and still nothing. I restored and gave it 3 more chances and all same result, I'm done with MyWi

Prompted my bad, not printed. Darn iPhone Auto Correction
    Last edited by Halten77; 2010-07-09 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, my trial period is about to expire. So I guess I'll never be able to use MyWi 4. I'm certainly not going to license it without being able to confirm working condition!

doug

Thanks

I should have stayed on 3.1 firmware with my native tethering working. I figured a new OS would be good since I've heard mywi 4 will be compatible with ios4.

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    Hey I have iOS 4 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.5 and when I installed the trial version of MyWi 4.0 Rock printed me to reboot and I did. When I started up it immediately said: "Could not activate cellular data network." I revolted the phone and it didn't say anything, but my Internet stopped working (3G) I could only make calls. I uninstalled MyWi and revolted and still nothing. I restored and gave it 3 more chances and all same result, I'm done with MyWi

Prompted my bad, not printed. Darn iPhone Auto Correction
    Are you with ATT by any chance or a different carrier?
    Last edited by duceduc; 2010-07-09 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sorry - error in msg