Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi without Rock?

Default MyWi without Rock?
    Is there just no way to get MyWi without Rock?

I am new to jailbreaking but have twice in last two days jailbroke my iPhone 2g 3.1.3 with Redsn0w only to have it lock up when trying to install Spirit.

Had to restore both times with the first time being a complete erase and start over restore.

MyWi was the reason I decided to jailbreak, but I am already tired of trying to deal with Rock.

Thanks!

There's a version called "MyWi (No Rock)" in the Cydia store - it's the one I ended up purchasing.

The problem is that the developer doesn't seem to care about it and hasn't updated it in a long time. In comparison the version that you get through Rock is about 4 revisions newer.

I suggest just using Rock - it's got some useful features, like running software updates in the background, faster launch times (compared to Cydia) and a save-and-restore of apps feature for when you upgrade or restore. (Not that you will be upgrading your iPhone 2G).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jas8522 For This Useful Post:

wombat23 (2010-08-01)

Quote Originally Posted by jas8522 View Post

I suggest just using Rock - it's got some useful features, ....
    I have tried twice to load up Rock via Spirit. But have had to restore my iPhone both times as it hangs up.

That is making it hard for me to try MyWi via Rock as I can't get Rock to work.

Thanks for the reply though.

Now I'm a jailbreak idiot so don't take this as the gospel, and no sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery if I'm wrong, but....

I believe redsn0w is a jailbreak. So if you run redsn0w and then run spirit, you are trying to jailbreak a jailbroken phone. Probably why you are locking up.

Restore your iphone to non jailbroken status. Then run spirit, which will jailbreak the iphone.

My recollection is that this will install Cydia, but not Rock. Use Cydia to install Rock. Then use Rock to install MyWi.

Hope that helps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graybeard For This Useful Post:

wombat23 (2010-08-01)

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    ... you are trying to jailbreak a jailbroken phone. Probably why you are locking up...
    I agree. That is more than likely were I am messing up.

Will try it with just Spirit and see what happens.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wombat23 View Post
    I agree. That is more than likely were I am messing up.

Will try it with just Spirit and see what happens.

Thanks!
    Make sure you didn't update to iTunes 9.2; if you did, Spirit will not work.

Cheers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jas8522 For This Useful Post:

wombat23 (2010-08-01)

Okay. Got Spirit to work and got Rock installed as well.

Graybeard was right. I was trying to jailbreak an already jailbroken phone.

Looks like all is well now.

Quote Originally Posted by jas8522 View Post
    Make sure you didn't update to iTunes 9.2; if you did, Spirit will not work.

Cheers
    Does that include not updating even after I have Spirit installed?

I haven't updated to iTunes 9.2, but it shows up as an available update for me.
    Last edited by wombat23; 2010-06-23 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Actually, was a bit confused by 9.2 comment. It has been a couple of weeks since I jailbroke with spirit (I've used MyWi for a while but had a major iphone crash a month or so ago so had to restore and rejailbreak using spirit) but my recollection was that it jailbroke OUTSIDE of Itunes (in fact had to be disconnected from ITUNES to run the jailbreak), and since then I've upgraded to 9.2 and have not had any issues with normal sync. So not really sure what the 9.2 issue is.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Graybeard For This Useful Post:

wombat23 (2010-08-01)

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Actually, was a bit confused by 9.2 comment. It has been a couple of weeks since I jailbroke with spirit (I've used MyWi for a while but had a major iphone crash a month or so ago so had to restore and rejailbreak using spirit) but my recollection was that it jailbroke OUTSIDE of Itunes (in fact had to be disconnected from ITUNES to run the jailbreak), and since then I've upgraded to 9.2 and have not had any issues with normal sync. So not really sure what the 9.2 issue is.
    I agree that the iTunes 9.2 comment is confusing and am with you on the thought that if the jailbreak happens outside of iTunes, what does it matter if I upgrade or not. But, I am in no hurry to upgrade to 9.2 and can wait for more clarification on this.

Thanks for your help!