Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MyWi - retaining connection on long drive?

Default MyWi - retaining connection on long drive?
    My wife and I are driving cross country which means we will traverse 3G and non 3G nets. We want to be able to maintain the phone's internet connection while traversing the various nets, access that phone's connection from laptop so that we can stream music via the laptop. I get the impression that this app would only work on the 3G net, while modem approaches like tethering will maintain the connection across all nets. Is this correct?

Can someone please shed some light and let me know the best way to accomplish this? My reason for this approach is that 1) the internet plan on a cell phone is cheaper than the USB card, etc based plans and 2) I would rather use the laptop's interface.

thanks,

brian

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

If you enter an area without 3G coverage, MyWi will still work, but it'll have to use Edge, which will have a slower connection speed. I haven't experienced this personally, but the developers of the app say it works over 3G and Edge.

The screen shots they show on their site of the app being used are on an iPhone using the T-Mobile network, therefore it must be on Edge.