Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Says Its Working, but Isn't

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Says Its Working, but Isn't
    The pretty blue display says Internet Tethering (Down: 23kb Up: 11kb). The numbers vary. But my laptop says Internet Not Connected.

Network prefs say self-assigned IP.

Nothing I do seems to make this work.

Poor documentation. (Is there any documentation?)

iPhone 3G, 3.0
    MacBook 13" 2.4GHz OS X 10.5.7

Thanks

It's not working for me either...

I've been at it all day with a bunch of different laptops and I've had ZERO success. I've played with all the settings and I just can't get it to work....

I can get the wifi to connect but there's no internet. Also it takes FOREVER for MyWi to give an address to the laptop.. maybe the issue is with MyWi's DHCP? Are we supposed to use a static address??

..Glad I didn't pay for this yet

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have been using PdaNet for months with no problem. This one looked like it was worth a try. Boy was I wrong! What a waste of time. I notice they only post the "good" reviews on their web page.

bdfu - try the latest update and please post your results (you may have to reboot)
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

Green Apple
    Thanks

"May have to reboot?" May be forced to reboot!

After two spectacular crashes into the black screen of death (sad mac screen on iPhone), I am up and running.

The first crash came when I received an SMS. The second when I received the next one.

I have to admit, this is faster than PdaNet - and the option of providing wifi to others - is worth continuing to try.

I don't mind providing some help diagnosing this. I rely on mobile computing and am just starting a new assignment. Let me know what details I can share to help you out. MyWi looks promising.

Ok at first it crashed to Safe Mode after 1 min, then I discovered that if you dont let the phone go to sleep or lock mode, it works fine, so I request you add that option in the APP, works well think with all the problems you should give us all maybe an extra 7 days to test

thanks as always for your great work
    Last edited by dallasnights; 2009-07-11 at 05:56 PM.
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

Ok - crashing fixed in 0.96 - thanks for your patience. Dallas: I was leaning toward a 1 day (working of course trial on this one .. so hopefully you can use it - see there's no bugs and buy
    bdfu: Thanks!
    Send iPhone System Log: Via any Intelliborn App -> Click Help / FAQs/ Support -> Scroll to bottom and click on red text at bottom.
    MyWi 4.0 - WiFi + USB Tethering on 3.x/4.x/5.x + Simple WiFi Router - Connect Laptops, Touches, + more!
    My3G - Facetime over 3G plus HiDef YouTube and more! Trick your iPhone into thinking it's on WiFi
    IntelliScreenX - iOS 5 Notification Center the way Apple wished it was.
    Tlert - View and Reply to SMS message within any app. Get rid of the ugly default alert messages!

USB works perfect on Macbook Pro Windows XP. Activate MyWi on my unjailbroken 3GS, boot up the laptop and it connects automatically without any further action. WiFi tethering still seems a bit twitchy sometimes but it works fairly well. When it does not work I just open any webpage in Safari on the 3GS and that seems to prime the pump; then tethering is enabled. Remember sometimes it takes a little while to engage so be patient. No regrets here.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Best $10 App
    Since the latest version of MyWi, I have had no problems and rock solid connections.

I prefer the USB tether. I just leave it on. When I plug in my phone, the computer immediately goes online. I unplug it and it stops. Doesn't drain battery.

WiFi slightly drains battery faster than it charges, but everyone around me can use the connection and its fast - even with multiple users. (USB is fastest.)

I have spent more on jailbreak apps than I have in the entire App Store. Apple, you're missing out! This is one $9.99 purchase I do not regret.

I'm having problems getting this app to work properly. I have it "connected" Wirelessly to my Ipod touch and it sees the network. It just does not function when trying to use Safari or any other app. Is there supposed to be a display of data flow on my Iphone 3gs when wifi tethering? I'm at a loss.

Plus whenever I leave the MyWi screen on the Iphone, it turns off wifi tethering.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VegasNate View Post
    I'm having problems getting this app to work properly. I have it "connected" Wirelessly to my Ipod touch and it sees the network. It just does not function when trying to use Safari or any other app. Is there supposed to be a display of data flow on my Iphone 3gs when wifi tethering? I'm at a loss.

Plus whenever I leave the MyWi screen on the Iphone, it turns off wifi tethering.
    The whole time the app is running the iPhone displays a blue header indicating the upload/download speed of the tether regardless of the type of connection (USB, Bluetooth or WiFi).

I've found that WiFi drains the battery faster than the power supply can charge it - but it will still take all day to run it down.

USB tether is the fastest connection and if your other devices can use Bluetooth, I'd suggest leaving WiFi turned off. With the cable connected, the battery stays at full charge.

I am sitting on a boat off the coast of Los Angeles right now surfing the net at 790 mb using a MacBook connected to an iPhone 3G via USB - while at the same time talking on the phone wearing a Bluetooth headset!!!

I had my speedbumps with earlier versions, but am now 100% sold on MyWi. From what I can tell they are simply activating the built-in tethering that the rest of world gets to enjoy (non-AT&T customers) - but with easier to use UI and controls. I will probably still be using this even after AT&T allows us to tether on their network.

I found that if I change the name of the wireless network, I don't get an IP address and the adapter self assigns the address. But if I use the "[Phonename] MyWi" WiFi name, then the appropriate 192.168.20.2 address gets assigned and it works every time. This doesn't make sense to me, but it's a repeatable bug on my phone.

-Aleth