Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wifi Location Problem

Default Wifi Location Problem
    I am currently evaluating myProfiles. I have a location established with a wifi trigger. The problem is that it switches away from that location whenever I power off the iPhone or the iPhone lets the wifi go to sleep. What I want to do is have only edge at my house (whenever it is in range of my home wifi router) and 3g when I leave.

Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problems.

The iPhone goes to sleep all the time, and disconnects wifi, and when I wake it up, myProfiles kicks in too fast, before the wifi has reconnected, and sets the profile to the wrong one.

It takes 15 minutes (??) to figure out that I'm at home..

This really sucks, as I don't get 3G at home, and I really want to turn it off when I'm at home, and turn it on again when I leave.

If myProfiles waited 20 seconds before testing the rules on waking up, I think this major problem would go away.

Developers, where are you??

I love intelliScreen by the way, and I love what MyProfiles is trying to do, but can you please finish it, it's pretty seriously broken, and this at least seems like a pretty easy fix..

Ta.

+1
    Exactly the same requirements as the OP. Similar problems with wifi location: takes a long time to find it, and once found is very unreliable with holding the location. I've stopped using the app for this reason alone.

One thing I would be prepared to accept is to be able to have the app running, but automatic rules turned off. Then I would select the profile manually. This would still be a boon, as it would allow multiple setting adjustments with one operation.

Can we run the app in this fashion?

If not, Developers - could this be added as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireballxl5 View Post
    +1

One thing I would be prepared to accept is to be able to have the app running, but automatic rules turned off. Then I would select the profile manually. This would still be a boon, as it would allow multiple setting adjustments with one operation.

Can we run the app in this fashion?
    Don't you just turn off the Rules Engine (up the top of the Profiles tab)?

You can change profiles by holding down the Home button, and using the volume buttons (up / down) to scroll through your profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanness View Post
    Don't you just turn off the Rules Engine (up the top of the Profiles tab)?

You can change profiles by holding down the Home button, and using the volume buttons (up / down) to scroll through your profiles.
    For some reason MyProfiles won't run at all just at the moment, but I thought you had to have the Rules Engine running to change profiles using the volume button method.

Certainly in some of my testing, if the Rules Engine was off, I could not change manually.

If this is the case, then my question/request stands (as the rules engine is unreliable, switching to inappropriate profiles on a whim, I spend my time continually re-profiling manually).

If I'm wrong about the need for the rules engine to be running, perhaps after a re-install I will be able to get it to work in that fashion.
    Thanks.

I've figured out how to do everything execpt the "3G when I leave".

Basically, in the default profile, set 3G to "No Change" (click on the word 3G rather than the "ON/OFF" toggle).

In your "Home" profile, set 3G to OFF.

So, when you get home, at some point it'll go to Home profile, and turn off 3G. When the phone wakes back up, it'll temporarily go into System Default, but leave 3G off.

My car has bluetooth, so my next step is to get that to turn 3G back on..

Hope this helps you both.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is the WiFi network you're trying to trigger to use a hidden SSID? Another post from the developers notes that hidden SSID networks disconnect when the phone goes to sleep. On networks where the SSID is broadcast, this should not be a problem.

I used to use WiFi to trigger my Home, which was a broadcast SSID, and never had a problem even when going to sleep and waking up. At work the network is a hidden SSID, so I don't use WiFe triggering.

Just a thought...

I've also been struggling with the constant changing of profiles, but this seems to be linked to crashes of MobileMail, which may or may not be related to RYP apps. If you have Intelliscreen, take note of whether or not Intelliscreen is loaded when you wake up your phone. if it's not, then MobileMail is crashing on wakeup, which will also cause MyProfiles to restart and the engine reanalyzes.

I've also been able to change the profiled using the home+volume buttons even when the engine it turned off.

Hey Jimmy,

No, my wifi SSID isn't hidden. My 3GS 3.0 fw does seem to always drop the wifi connection when sleeping. I see it reconnect every time it wakes. I thought this must be default behavior.

Yes, I have IntelliScreen, and it's loaded when I wake the phone (would be pretty useless if it wasn't

Pretty annoying to have to turn on my wifi when I leave home. I'll post if the car bluetooth solves this at least when I'm driving away from home.