Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia - down with the ship

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default Nokia - down with the ship

Nokia: Mass Firings Are End Of An Era

As expected, Nokia is firing thousands of people worldwide, because it is moving to Microsoft. In addition, it is transferring much of its activities related to Symbian, its older and once dominant mobile operating system, to Accenture.

Most of the people being fired are R&D people. Now Microsoft is doing most of its R&D to Nokia. So this isn't just a reorganization or slimming down, it's a shedding of huge strategic (or previously strategic) assets. It's no surprise that Nokia's stock is falling like a rock.

It's also startling that Nokia can't find a way to sell these assets. Presumably if all these R&D labs and Symbian support and development was thought to have some value, Nokia could have sold it or spun it off. It doesn't seem that Accenture is paying money for the Symbian unit. Instead Nokia is just firing and outsourcing people. That ought to tell you something of how successful Nokia's R&D has been.

Nokia has been a wonderfully innovative and hugely respected company. In a matter of years it has sunk to once-unimaginable lows. Nokia still has amazing assets and there is a chance that it can turn itself around and become a successful OEM as HTC has. It remains to be seen whether the new Nokia will be great, but one thing is sure: a Nokia is dying today.

Read more: Nokia: Mass Firings Are End Of An Era

Isn't that article dated April 27th? and wasn't the slump in Nokia Stock one of the main news articles some time ago?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia...forever-2011-6

Nokia has announced that it's settling its patent disputes with Apple. But Nokia really wins: Apple will be paying a one-time settlement plus license fees, which is pretty much what Nokia wanted. (The terms of the deal aren't being disclosed.)
    This is a huge deal for a couple reasons:
    In an industry rife with patent lawsuits, the Nokia-Apple fight was probably the biggest, spanning jurisdictions, domains and geographies. This settlement is big news just because of that.

But the fact that Apple caved, when it's pretty aggressive about intellectual property, caved, shows that Nokia has one of the best patent portfolios in the industry. Nokia has said that one of the ways in which it's going to try to make more money is by using that patent portfolio to get license fees. This is a decisive early win for that.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia...#ixzz1PFzvFH7U
    Last edited by one1; 2011-06-14 at 03:33 PM.

That's better - news I hadn't heard

I was beginning to think Nokia might go out of business - but it looks like they'll be making a lot of money for a long time now even if they stop making phones!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Well you know I only post here for you.

I know

Nokia took its eye off the road ahead - or forgot that it was in a very competitive race.
    Probably a consequence of the complacency that's always a danger for enormous and enormously successful companies that arises from mistaken attribution of the reasons for its success.
    Once a company becomes profit-driven rather than product-driven, it's doomed to Nokia's current fate.