Results 1 to 3 of 3

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Caution Google Voice Users on AT&T!

  1. #1
    Default Caution Google Voice Users on AT&T!
    Hi, all.

    I have done some search and did not see this info posted, but if I'm wrong, I apologize.

    So, with the new official google voice app out, many people have moved from GV Mobile+ to the Google Voice app (including myself). If you are like me, you have been using the free call trick by combining Google Voice with AT&T's A-List feature. I have benefitted from this trick greatly.

    HOWEVER, we now must be careful with the official Google Voice app. The official Google Voice app, unlike GV Mobile+, DOES NOT call your Google Voice number when making outgoing calls. You see those weird area code numbers, right? So, if you place calls using the official app, you ARE using up your cell minutes and ARE charged for it if you exceed. So, if you want to keep using the A-List trick, you have to manually call your google voice number, press 2, enter phone number, and press # key. This is what the latest GV Mobile + does indeed, but the problem is it doesn't work 100%. Sometimes, it misses the timing to press 2, which then accidentally triggers voicemail setting feature of Google Voice, etc. It gets messy. So, apparently, we need a new app (or improvements on GV Mobile +) to do this automatically if we want to keep using this trick.

    BUT, THAT'S NOT ALL. It turns out that AT&T is counting "incoming calls made to your Google Voice number." They are not treated as free minutes even if your Google Voice # is on their A-List. So, if you want to save your minutes, you would have to tell your friends that you are going to call back. Yea, I know it's inconvenient, but that's the way it is for now.

    So, be careful with the official Google Voice app, guys. If you have any tips to share, please do share as well. Thanks.

    GT

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTequila View Post
    Hi, all.
    HOWEVER, we now must be careful with the official Google Voice app. The official Google Voice app, unlike GV Mobile+, DOES NOT call your Google Voice number when making outgoing calls. You see those weird area code numbers, right? So, if you place calls using the official app, you ARE using up your cell minutes and ARE charged for it if you exceed. So, if you want to keep using the A-List trick, you have to manually call your google voice number, press 2, enter phone number, and press # key. This is what the latest GV Mobile + does indeed, but the problem is it doesn't work 100%. Sometimes, it misses the timing to press 2, which then accidentally triggers voicemail setting feature of Google Voice, etc. It gets messy. So, apparently, we need a new app (or improvements on GV Mobile +) to do this automatically if we want to keep using this trick.
    Yeah, there's no easy way to make outgoing calls through GV while keeping under A-List. The official GV App uses phone "shortcuts". Those weird area code numbers are tied to both your account and the person you called. So if you save that number as part of your contacts numbers, you can now call them (using GV) by just selecting the number and bypass using the app itself. All of this obviously uses minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTequila View Post
    BUT, THAT'S NOT ALL. It turns out that AT&T is counting "incoming calls made to your Google Voice number." They are not treated as free minutes even if your Google Voice # is on their A-List. So, if you want to save your minutes, you would have to tell your friends that you are going to call back. Yea, I know it's inconvenient, but that's the way it is for now.
    Go to Google Voice settings (on their web page, not the phone app) and under calls check what you have selected for "Incoming Calls". You have the choice between the caller's number or your GV Number. Choosing your GV should allow you to continue to receive calls under A-List. The only drawback is you won't know who's calling until you answer.

    I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Go to Google Voice settings (on their web page, not the phone app) and under calls check what you have selected for "Incoming Calls". You have the choice between the caller's number or your GV Number. Choosing your GV should allow you to continue to receive calls under A-List. The only drawback is you won't know who's calling until you answer.
    Hi, Happy Noodle Boy.

    Unfortunately, that is no longer correct. That is why I made my post to warn everyone here. AT&T apparently caught up with the trick. They are now counting incoming calls to your Google Voice # as billable minutes. Their rationale is that A-List does not apply for "forwarded calls." Unfortunately, incoming calls to Google Voice are forwarded calls.

    Party => Google Voice =forward=> iPhone.

    Why are outgoing calls still ok then? Because they are not forwarded calls.

    iPhone => Google Voice =forward=> Party

    As you can see, forwarding takes place "after" the call goes through AT&T, so AT&T cannot say anything about what happens after they connect you to Google Voice.

    This change took place recently, so start checking your phone bills. If you want more info, you can do search on Google Voice forum. There are multiple threads that talk about this. I'll give you one of them here:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=17b34b2a22be1d15&hl=en

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •