Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Updated Redsn0w: Custom Firmware for PC Users, Hints of PC PwnageTool!!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Updated Redsn0w: Custom Firmware for PC Users, Hints of PC PwnageTool!!

Late last night MuscleNerd and the iPhone-Dev Team gave the community a Halloween Treat in the form of redsn0w version 0.9.6b2. What ensued shortly after was a rather heated and atypical argument between MuscleNerd and iH8sn0w (at least outside of IRC). If one takes time to sift through the argument, there are a few very useful bits of information that can be gained from it. More on that later.

The team has incorporated geohot's most recent bootrom exploit along with the latest in Comex's growing list of exploits to provide us with a version of redsn0w that will jailbreak all devices on every firmware up through iOS 4.1.

In addition to jailbreaking all current devices, the dev team threw in a few extra bonuses for us all to enjoy. The biggest bonus by far is that they carried over PwnageTool's DFU button, thus allowing custom firmwares to be loaded onto your devices. This will help out Windows users greatly, but please keep in mind that you will still need to find the custom firmware packages on your own as this only exploits the vulnerability to allow for said firmwares to be installed. It's a great time to be nice to your Mac-owning friends!

Amidst the arguing back and forth between MuscleNerd and iH8sn0w, MuscleNerd mentioned that the long awaited Windows version of PwnageTool will finally come to fruition thanks to chpwn.

The release of this new version is uncertain, as chpwn went on to mention that he is on vacation now and hasn't even touched a computer in five days, but that it is "on his to do list."

This redsn0w release also allows for custom bootlogos for those of us using iPhone 3G, 3GS, and iPod 2Gs, the latter two must have the old bootroms to enable this feature. Please note that this version does not support the ipt2g-MC model, but that support wil hopefully come in a future update as soon as they get approval from pod2g to use his exploit.

At the end of the post for this release, the Dev Team hints at greater things to come with the following:

If you are timid about software and running these programs…please just wait! Don’t jeopardize your carrier unlock for a firmware upgrade. Wait for even easier methods than this latest redsn0w release.
    What this easier method may be is uncertain, but the Dev Team certainly tends to keep quiet about things unless they are actually in the works. It will be quite a fun treat to look forward to!

In related news, MuscleNerd tweeted that geohot has found a way to allow for custom bootlogos on the newer devices (but maybe not all models), but there is no mention of if or when it will be released by geohot.

Please remember that it is against forum rules (due to it being illegal) to post links to custom firmware packages as they contain copyrighted Apple code. There are many ways to get in contact with other members of this site that can help you get ahold of what you need.

OS X
    Windows

Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w+limera1n fun

EDIT: Thanks MES for reminding everyone. Remember to save your shsh blobs using TinyUmbrella as Cydia has stopped offering to save them (I have heard rumors that this has recently been fixed but have no direct knowledge). Using TinyUmbrella, you can have it save your blobs to Cydia's server as well as on your own computer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -geohot-bootlogos.png   -096b2-iphonedev.png   -chpwn-pt.png   -chpwn-shsh.png  
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-11-01 at 09:44 PM.

Yes!!!! I was just about to post this.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't forget to save your SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella. Do it NOW !!!

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

mortopher (2010-11-01)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Don't forget to save your SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella. Do it NOW !!!

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella
    Thanks for reminding everyone. It's so second nature for me these days that I forget to remind others to save them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Thanks for reminding everyone. It's so second nature for me these days that I forget to remind others to save them.
    NP. Happy to help out.

On a side note: I wish more attention was given to keeping old basebands (aka: using custom IPSWs instead of stock Apple upgrades). It may not be important now, but one day an unlockable baseband will be far more valuable than one locked to a specific carrier. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    NP. Happy to help out.

On a side note: I wish more attention was given to keeping old basebands (aka: using custom IPSWs instead of stock Apple upgrades). It may not be important now, but one day an unlockable baseband will be far more valuable than one locked to a specific carrier. JMHO
    Trust me, a unlock / jailbroken iPhone go for way more at just about any online shop. I have 2 iPhones 3GS and both unlocked, someone even offered to buy one of my iPhones at iPhone 4 prices just for the unlock.