Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone jailbreak/unlock eventually not possible?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default iPhone jailbreak/unlock eventually not possible?
    I was just reading this today. GreenPois0n Will Only Jailbreak the iPhone 4, iPad and iPod Touch 4G

Basically, unlock for 4.1 is not currently possible. With Apple patching more and more security flaws by the update, it seems that we may eventually run out of tricks. Take for example

1. The iPhone 2G was incredibly easy to unlock and jailbreak

2. The iPhone 3G still allowed custom firmware and downgrading baseband. Apple begins ECID-SHSH signing process to prevent jailbreaking.

3. The iPhone 3GS started to make things a bit difficult. Apple modified the bootrom and we were stock with a phone which had to be "tethered" when you boot up the phone. Take a look at "blackra1n" and you'll see what I mean. Custom firmware no longer possible at this point.

4. The iPhone 4 jailbreak has taken the longest time to develop out of any iPhone. ECID SHSH signing times are reduced to an even smaller window at this point. The GreenPois0n jailbreak hasn't been released for a long time now, which means reduced frequency of jailbreak releases compared to before.

It seems to me like the battle is going more and more uphill. Eventually, that hill will become vertical and it will become impossible for us to Jailbreak. If this happens, we might lose a VERY big part of the iPhone functionality. Without the jailbreak, the iPhone is a tiger in a very tightly packed cage. Also, without future unlocks, we will be forced into using the iPhone with AT&T and similar exclusive carriers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess only time will tell on JB in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

[QUOTE=Dr.Xanax;5496515

4. The iPhone 4 jailbreak has taken the longest time to develop out of any iPhone. [/QUOTE]

How does that even make sense? The phone hasnt been out for 6 months and yet its pwned for life. I'd say thats pretty quick work. Tho i do agree with you, this latest jailbreak has killed it for me. I can't be bothered any more with this annoying cat and mouse game. It's annoying having to wait months to upgrade my phone to the latest firmware so im just going to just my phone how it was originally intended to be used

Actually, I have been thinking the same thing. But then I realized that they are very likely to upgrade hardware/processors in the future. Look at SHAtter, it only works because of the A4 chip which is a newer processor, so hopefully which each hardware upgrade brings a new hardware exploit.

Thanks

I don't see a problem. Travel and buy an unlocked phone, and be patient like the rest of humanity, OR look on eBay. The equation is time or money. If you want it now, it will cost a lot. If you are patient, the cost drops. Want a factory unlocked iPhone 3G? They are dirt cheap now. Just cost time
    unklbyl

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It's far from just a locked/unlocked issue. I don't need an unlocked phone, but I will not have an iPhone that is dictated by Apple's will. They mean well, but they are too strict in the sense that they don't want 3rd party apps playing outside of their sandbox. Then they implement features that the jailbreak community has made available for the masses and pat themselves on the back. If jailbreaking ends so does my iPhone contract.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-10-09)

Limera1n

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxster View Post
    How does that even make sense? The phone hasnt been out for 6 months and yet its pwned for life. I'd say thats pretty quick work. Tho i do agree with you, this latest jailbreak has killed it for me. I can't be bothered any more with this annoying cat and mouse game. It's annoying having to wait months to upgrade my phone to the latest firmware so im just going to just my phone how it was originally intended to be used
    It's only "pwned for life" until apple updates the bootrom. I can assure you, it won't be much longer and we will be stuck with another tethered jailbreak or worse, no jailbreak at all. If apple would already succumb to the fact that jailbreaking is legal and that their customer base would only expand. Yes piracy would become a bigger issue if the cat and mouse game ended but piracy on Andriod is already ridiculiously easy and the majority if android users don't pirate (if it was that big an issue, the system would be dead by now).

I doubt that apple are going to stop patching these exploits as they pose security issues as well and I don't see too many happy users when they realize they have been hacked the last time they connected to q computer or opened up a PDF file correct me if I am wrong… but yea eventually these exploits might become harder to find but onlytime will tell

But everytime a new firmware comes out there will be more security holes in it. I doubt it will ever get to a point where its impossible to jailbreak. Theres always a way for everything.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by liamwalsh21 View Post
    But everytime a new firmware comes out there will be more security holes in it. I doubt it will ever get to a point where its impossible to jailbreak. Theres always a way for everything.
    I don't think this is necessarily true. With each succeeding update, apple further and further "perfect" their iOS firmware. Just look at Windows xp sp3, very few security holes compared to primitive xp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Xanax View Post
    I don't think this is necessarily true. With each succeeding update, apple further and further "perfect" their iOS firmware. Just look at Windows xp sp3, very few security holes compared to primitive xp.
    I mean the next firmware asin ios5 and iphone 5. If thats what it ends up being called. Surely there will be new security holes with new devices and firmwares. Why dont they go through the firmware before it comes out so thorough that there arent any security holes? Thats what somebody would do if they really wanted it to stop.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to liamwalsh21 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (2010-10-20)

There will always be an exploit.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

In a perfect world. I wouldn't fret it though. Just sit back and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. When it is over I will meet y'all on the other side with Android.

Is there any news on when and/or /if there will be an unlock for 3g - 4.1 - 5.14.02 - 6.4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiledone213 View Post
    Is there any news on when and/or /if there will be an unlock for 3g - 4.1 - 5.14.02 - 6.4?
    It will hopefully be released sometime when 4.2 is out. Until then, patience is required.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dotFIVE For This Useful Post:

Spoiledone213 (2010-10-18)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If Apple truely didn't condone jailbreaking, they would have run thorough testing on the device. Every year, more jailbroken inspired features come out in the idevices. Where would Apple get their ideas from? They need the Devteam.

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    If Apple truely didn't condone jailbreaking, they would have run thorough testing on the device.
    They do.

Its a chicken-and-egg problem; even the most rigorous testing misses stuff. How many engineers would you assign to the project? 100? 1000?
    How many man-hours of labor? At some point they have to decide they've found all the "easy" exploits and hope the hackers don't find the hard ones that even the testers don't know about yet.

If you don't break off and call it "done", the product will never ship. I imagine there probably are products Apple has under wraps that they still haven't figured out how to secure, and won't release until they think they have figured out...
    but at least some of these will die. Because endless testing gets old, and doesn't generate revenue.

Google can afford to throw teams of engineers at insoluble problems like this- Apple can't. Different model, different market.

Every year, more jailbroken inspired features come out in the idevices. Where would Apple get their ideas from? They n
    eed the Devteam.
    Its a fertile ground for innovation and experimentation. I'm sure at least *some* of Apple's 'architects' understand and appreciate it. But the Jailbroken community remains tiny. As long as we're a tiny few percentage of iOS users, we're not much of a threat.

If JB becomes more mainstream and popular, Apple will feel more pressure and I can't imagine their corporate response will be favorable. Hopefully inertia (and fear of scaring away developers) will keep this impulse in check.