Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2nd iPhone Virus Targetting Jailbroken Handsets

Default 2nd iPhone Virus Targetting Jailbroken Handsets
    It has been reported that an Australian programmer under the codename of lkee wrote a virus (worm) for the Apple iPhone specially the one that had been jailbroken.

The worm was programmed to scan the networks of Telus, Optus and Vodafone in Australia. Once infected, the worm would automatically change the wallpaper of the iPhone.

lkee states that he developed this worm as a warning to users and not to get extract any information. He wanted to motivate users to change their root password. The unchanged root password is the reason why the worm enters the iPhone. By default, it is set as “alpine” in jailbroken iPhones.

But this week, another person has created a modified version of this worm called “iPhone/Privacy.A”. It is programmed to retrieve messages, emails, photos, videos or any other data stored on the phone silently.

So to take precaution, please change your root password. It is not guaranteed to work but at least it’s worth the prevention.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia allows you to do this on the home screen. Take heed.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    Cydia allows you to do this on the home screen. Take heed.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Not only does cydia allow you to do this, it strongly encourages it and explains why. I am glad that this exists, and being a lazy bum, I guess I will be doing that right now.
    unklbyl

Quote Originally Posted by shahpriyankd View Post
    ...please change your root password. It is not guaranteed to work...
    Anyone know what this means?

I thought changing your passwords and turning off SSH definitely stops worms/viruses.

Suppose the non-guarantee is via the same avenues that jb's exploit.