Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple 4.0.2 only blocks jailbreakme.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Default Apple 4.0.2 only blocks jailbreakme.com

Apple has made the move to block jailbreakme.com in an update made specifically for this reason. The question is.......can Apple do that and not get into legal trouble? Earlier last month jailbreaking was declared legal and the judge set out guidelines that Apple had to work with. Is Apple skirting around a judgement and arbitrarily blocking jailbreaking "judgements be damned"?

If Apple is going to continue to maliciously block jailbreaking after the ruling, they may find themselves back in the courts defending their actions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -nojailbreak.png  
    Last edited by one1; 2010-08-11 at 11:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-12)

Of course they can do it without getting in to legal trouble!
    jailbreakme.com was not declared legal - jailbreaking was.
    Jailbreakme.com exploits a serious security flaw which Apple would have got into serious trouble if they had not patched!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

neodude237 (2010-08-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Jailbreakme.com exploits a serious security flaw which Apple would have got into serious trouble if they had not patched!
    Wrong and failboat for you.

jailbreakme.com was put into use in 2007. Apple patched everything EXCEPT that exploit over the next 3 years. Why? because they didn't WANT to patch the exploit. Why now after jailbreaking was declared legal did they finally patch it if they have know about it for 3 years as a critical exploit?

RIGHT..........FAIL. Try again?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple can do anything Apple wants. They are god.

Ooops, forgot about our sometimes great legal system. Better watch ur back Apple (hahaha).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Wrong and failboat for you.

jailbreakme.com was put into use in 2007. Apple patched everything EXCEPT that exploit over the next 3 years. Why? because they didn't WANT to patch the exploit. Why now after jailbreaking was declared legal did they finally patch it if they have know about it for 3 years as a critical exploit?

RIGHT..........FAIL. Try again?
    DID they know about that SPECIFIC exploit? I kinda doubt they knowingly would have left a hole like that open for 3 years.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

The jailbreakme.com 3 years ago was tiff exploit. This one is a pdf exploit.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification, I remembered it was something along the lines of that. So as far as what Confucious is saying goes, I'm pretty sure he's right, Apple really didn't do anything legally wrong. Sensationalist headline writing to say the least.

Thanks

They patched a security issue that the jailbreak just happened to make public.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Wrong!

I have heard this bs since back in the days or Windows NT the big corp software!

They were several hacker groups that would hack NT till they found a security flaw and then notify Microsoft and with all the skills it would take them weeks to verify the security flaw even when they could go to several url and dowload the source code showing the flaw!

These hackers just wanted to show Microsoft how good they were and were wanting Microsoft to patch the flaw!

Not one time was any of the url where you could download the source code ever deemed illegal never or ever taken down!

Yes Apple has all the right to patch the SECURITY flaw but do not have the authority to do take down or have Jailbreakme.com declared illegal!

As stated before I belive that sooner or later Apple will have to leave opening in there software for legal jailbreaking or open up the source code to where you can install Cydia, Rock, or other installers from the App Store or by some other means!

Patching a Security flaw is one thing but preventing Jailbreaking I don't think so, and yes Apple will be in court before this is over and the law is against them preventing jailbreaking!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-08-12 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Yes Apple has all the right to patch the SECURITY flaw but do not have the authority to do take down or have Jailbreakme.com declared illegal!

As stated before I belive that sooner or later Apple will have to leave opening in there software for legal jailbreaking or open up the source code to where you can install Cydia, Rock, or other installers from the App Store or by some other means!

Patching a Security flaw is one thing but preventing Jailbreaking I don't think so, and yes Apple will be in court before this is over and the law is against them preventing jailbreaking!
    Apple DID patch a security flaw. The PDF exploit used by the latest Jailbreak is a gnarly flaw that could be used for much more devious methods if left unpatched. Apple hasn't/can't touch jailbreakme.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They are not disabling jailbreakme. They are just patching the security exploit it uses. Just like every other jailbreak. They are still free to patch exploit as it is still their OS and are security flaws; a big one like the PDF one cannot go untouched.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

UHG so much fail ITT. The Adobe PDF exploit has been known for over 3 years BACK WHEN Jailbreakme.com was first in existence and they DID NOT PATCH the PDF exploit then. I assume (wrongly) people knew the history of the PDF exploit that adobe has known about for YEARS. They haven't patched it because it blocks adobe PDF's COMPLETELY.... which apple couldn't do while trying to launch enterprise. Enterprise without PDF support? LAWL!

Now they all of a sudden block the hole when it becomes an "issue" for jailbreaking........ Right.

Thanks

UHG so much fail ITT. The Adobe PDF exploit has been known for over 3 years BACK WHEN Jailbreakme.com was first in existence and they DID NOT PATCH the PDF exploit then. I assume (wrongly) people knew the history of the PDF exploit that adobe has known about for YEARS. They haven't patched it because it blocks adobe PDF's COMPLETELY.... which apple couldn't do while trying to launch enterprise. Enterprise without PDF support? LAWL!

Now they all of a sudden block the hole when it becomes an "issue" for jailbreaking........ Right.
    Apple didn't know their browser had a PDF exploit that could be used to gain control of the phone until the JB was released. Jailbreakme.com has only been using that exploit for about two weeks now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Apple didn't know their browser had a PDF exploit that could be used to gain control of the phone until the JB was released. Jailbreakme.com has only been using that exploit for about two weeks now.
    You're either very simple in the head or an apple employee. As I just said (it's text you can re-read it without me retyping it) Adobe has had this flaw for YEARS in browsers and everybody knew it. So either quit cheerleading damage control for apple or go learn some history on adobe exploits, google will help ya out with that.

Thanks

You're either very simple in the head or an apple employee. As I just said (it's text you can re-read it without me retyping it) Adobe has had this flaw for YEARS in browsers and everybody knew it. So either quit cheerleading damage control for apple or go learn some history on adobe exploits, google will help ya out with that.
    Well, without flaming you, let me attempt to put this in words that even you can understand:
    1. iOS is Apple's OS, they can do whatever they want with it, including protecting it against jailbreaking.
    2. Apple had no idea that there was an exploit of this nature (despite you seeming to think they did) and patched it accordingly.
    3. It was a double whammy for Apple, they got to block a jailbreak and patch an exploit.
    4. Jailbreaking is legal for us to do, but Apple can do whatever they want to prevent it as it's still their device, they just can't sue us/the people who make the jailbreaks.

Thanks

Like everybody said, Apple patched it because it was a security exploit, but they hit 2 birds with 1 stone. Blocked exploit and JB...

Thanks

Yep, he's an apple employee.

Thanks

Yeah, I'm the world's first 16 year old Apple employee.[/s] Anyways, I love how you're oblivious to every reply around you and seem to think that Apple has some obligation to leave a hole open for us to jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    2. Apple had no idea that there was an exploit of this nature ...
    Q: You know this how?

A: Either an apple employee or a fan-boy.

Thanks

I stand corrected:
    About the content of Security Update 2010-003
    Looks like Apple did know about it. For hating jb'ing so much, it's ironic they'd leave a hole like that in Safari. But my point about Apple fixing it still stands: it's their OS, they can do whatever they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast