Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple 4.0.2 only blocks jailbreakme.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Well, without flaming you, let me attempt to put this in words that even you can understand:
    1. iOS is Apple's OS, they can do whatever they want with it, including protecting it against jailbreaking.
    2. Apple had no idea that there was an exploit of this nature (despite you seeming to think they did) and patched it accordingly.
    3. It was a double whammy for Apple, they got to block a jailbreak and patch an exploit.
    4. Jailbreaking is legal for us to do, but Apple can do whatever they want to prevent it as it's still their device, they just can't sue us/the people who make the jailbreaks.
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this as Apple has the right to patch a security hole but now that jailbreaking is legal if the patch is only to prevent jailbreaking than I think they are in the wrong as they will be preventing you from doing a legal act! JMO and the courts will make the final decision and I am now volunteering for jury duty on this!

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    UHG so much fail ITT. The Adobe PDF exploit has been known for over 3 years BACK WHEN Jailbreakme.com was first in existence and they DID NOT PATCH the PDF exploit then. I assume (wrongly) people knew the history of the PDF exploit that adobe has known about for YEARS. They haven't patched it because it blocks adobe PDF's COMPLETELY.... which apple couldn't do while trying to launch enterprise. Enterprise without PDF support? LAWL!

Now they all of a sudden block the hole when it becomes an "issue" for jailbreaking........ Right.
    You are obviously far more knowledgeable than me, I thought they had only just found out about the PDF exploit used by 'star'(obviously they knew about the exploit that was exploited by the original jailbreakme.com)

If you can just point me in the direction of where I can read up on the fact that they knew about the PDF exploit 3 years ago I would be very grateful, if they did know of a security flaw like this and not fix it then it does seem strange. Especially as both exploits only have 2010 CVE numbers!

I was under the impression that the exploit was only found at the pwn2own competition in March this year but if you have evidence to the contrary I would be glad to hear it.

At the moment the original iPhone is still unpatched by Apple - if you have one you really should patch it yourself, but, ironically, you need to be JB to do this. A cydia package to patch earlier devices will be release by the Dev Team - or if not the Dev Team the cdevwill - one or the other, I believe.
    Last edited by confucious; 2010-08-12 at 10:03 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you on this as Apple has the right to patch a security hole but now that jailbreaking is legal if the patch is only to prevent jailbreaking than I think they are in the wrong as they will be preventing you from doing a legal act! JMO and the courts will make the final decision and I am now volunteering for jury duty on this!
    Of course its to prevent jailbreak but as they noted on the apple site, it's to prevent malicious things happening using the pdf exploit. Apple will always patch their exploits found....its an exploit...meaning its a flaw in their software. No court will ever tell Apple they cant fix their flawed software. However, they might force apple to open it up where you can downgrade software and give the user the option to run the flawed software vs. fixed software

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12