Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gamebone for iPhone

Default Gamebone for iPhone
    Hey guys sorry if this has been already covered. I'm on mobile version of forums on my phone right now n couldn't find a search function.

Earlier I came across an old post about 22moo's Gamebone controller for iPhone and was curious to see any updates. This doesn't look too recent but the last I checked it was an actual dogbone shape lol.

http://www.22moo.com.au/GameBone.html

If you look through there page it even claims new iPhone 4 compatibility, along with the older versions. Those are just pre-production renders though, and personally I hope they give it a more sleeker design, but it looks alot better already than it did before! Haha.

They even have a link to a YouTube video of the render. Nothing too interesting in the video itself, but the comments made by the uploader about the gamebone. Seems they have plans for different variations on the controller after the initial launch. Even claims two big iPhone names showing interest: gameloft and activision.

Press release as well:
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/22Moo/...web4139304.htm

I'm curious as to the iPad support. Bluetooth maybe?

I'm getting more and more excited over this (and hopefully they make the overall shape look a little less "pointy") but kind of not wanting to keep holding my breath after the icontrolpad fallout.
    www.icontrolpad.com

What do you guys think?

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, here's what sparked my interest this morning in the first place, via Engadget.

CP Design's iPhone Game Pad prototype does Donkey Kong Country right (video) - Engadget

Another prototype. Nonetheless cool to see another working gamepad!
    Last edited by unvaluablespace; 2010-07-27 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

thats pretty flippin sweet dude

Heck yea! I'm hopin for emulators! Haha. And I'm crossin my fingers for decent speed with psx & n64 ones, in particular on my iPhone 4! with the controller. Heaven! haha

The CP design one looks infinitely better than the gamebone IMO. I hope they get a manufacturer sorted.

I think something along these lines is bound to make it to market eventually; what will make or break it though, is the take-up by app developers. For that reason, I think there needs to be some standard for implementing such control devices; I note that the gamebone uses bluetooth, whilst the CP design case uses the dock connector. App Devs aren't going to support a multitude of interfaces; I would have thought going down the dock connector route would be a better option myself, as then the controller doesn't necessarily need its own battery.

I really hope the CP Design model gets a manufacturer, gets Apple approved, and is supported by developers!
    My guide to customising Buuf2! / Create your own Buuf2 icons! / Buuf2 iPhone wallpapers flickr pool!
    Having trouble finding a Buuf2 icon? Search the thread with the paperclip!

Pistol1,

I totally agree! The CP design does look much better than the gamebone. But I like all the extra features of the gamebone one. The thing looks yucky though (sorry, 22Moo!) although I think an analog nub of sorts would fit the iDevices much better though. Don't get me wrong I'm a digital d-pad fan, but the majority of app store games that utilize input are analog-like.

I had this really great idea I posted to zodttd a long time ago on his site when Icontrolpad was still within sight. He seems like a busy person though. I know how apple limits control on the iPhone, so I would only assume that if this is at all feasible, it would be so on a jailbroken idevice.

I thought it would be cool if someone with the skill could develop an "add-on" type app that could input your buttons on one of those controller adapter gamepads as actual touchscreen presses. For example, app store games like nova or modern combat, or pretty much any FPS game with on screen controls: translate the "B" (or whatever the gamepad button would be) to emulate as if you actually tapped on the "fire" icon in the game. "A" would tap the jump button, and so on.

I've actually been really thinking this out, but I lack any sort of programming skill haha. It would be even cool to have a customization app to set up the games your playing for, where as you could take an in game screen shot, load the picture from your photo album, and use it as the layout to tell the "setup" app where the "emulated screen tap (or hold)" would be when you pushed the "B" button on the controller! Haha.

Of course, this is probably all much more difficult to accomplish than ask for. But I'm not sure.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol1 View Post
    The CP design one looks infinitely better than the gamebone IMO. I hope they get a manufacturer sorted.

I think something along these lines is bound to make it to market eventually; what will make or break it though, is the take-up by app developers. For that reason, I think there needs to be some standard for implementing such control devices; I note that the gamebone uses bluetooth, whilst the CP design case uses the dock connector. App Devs aren't going to support a multitude of interfaces; I would have thought going down the dock connector route would be a better option myself, as then the controller doesn't necessarily need its own battery.

I really hope the CP Design model gets a manufacturer, gets Apple approved, and is supported by developers!
    I agree 100% CP's design is much more appealing, Not too bulky, and very clean. I would definitly get one if they ever make it to market.

I just posted a thread in the accessory topic asking about wireless tv out options, and it made me think: if that sort of thing is at all feasible, wouldn't it be nice of the manufacturers of such gamepad devices made some sort of way to do something like that? Haha portable iPhone gaming for the win!

Thanks

Why cant they make use of the PS3 bluetooth pad?

Zodttd I believe at one point was working on getting the ps3 controllers working for his iPhone emulators, I could be wrong though about that. I think he is focusing on other, more important things though, since he already head wiimotes working in most of em.

My guess Is the ps3 Bluetooth drivers are harder to code for?

Thanks

the ps3 pad is more efficient from what i see using it on other cell phones and such.