Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4: so what are those little black lines for?

Default iPhone 4: so what are those little black lines for?
    I got curious, grabbed my testing meter and went to test the continuity around the metal band on the iPhone... shockingly, the black bar's aren't doing anything. So left-hand, right-hand, etc... shouldn't really make a difference. Putting tape on them certainly doesn't matter... your hand won't bridge a connection that's already bridged. Very confusing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF8t_IqwCg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - iPhone 4 Antenna: Black Bars do what now?[/ame]
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So, this isnt happening by people hands? I find that hard to believe but facts dont lie. =/

first.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockster View Post
    So, this isnt happening by people hands? I find that hard to believe but facts dont lie. =/

first.
    I think there's an issue of some sort... perhaps because it is bare metal that it's more susceptible to interference from hands? I dunno... but it clearly can't have anything to do with the bridging of the two metal bands. Otherwise there should be consistent results despite where the hand covers the phone...
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

You wouldn't get continuity from them either way, not sure what your point was.... But testing them with a multi meter shows nothing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, I am afraid you need to brush up on RF theory.

Your multimeter is only measuring resistance at DC. You need to worry about the impedance between 850MHz and 2.1GHz

guys, really?? the black bars are rubber separators... people arent bridging the the band and the black bars... they are bridging the side bands with the bottom section of the band which has stuff grounded to it on the inside.

I could be wrong, but I believe the "black bars" are an insulating material separating the metal "bands" which are the different antennas. Dang, you beat me to it.
    Last edited by boozie; 2010-07-03 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    guys, really?? the black bars are rubber separators... people arent bridging the the band and the black bars... they are bridging the side bands with the bottom section of the band which has stuff grounded to it on the inside.
    That's the claim, but technically, from a continuity point of view, they are already connected. Your hand isn't bridging anything that isn't already bridged according to my meter. Although the broadcast frequency comment could be correct... But then why are there tons of people claiming it's because of the band being bridged? Hurry up apple, let's see if your claims hold merit
    Really?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    I got curious, grabbed my testing meter and went to test the continuity around the metal band on the iPhone... shockingly, the black bar's aren't doing anything. So left-hand, right-hand, etc... shouldn't really make a difference. Putting tape on them certainly doesn't matter... your hand won't bridge a connection that's already bridged. Very confusing.

YouTube - iPhone 4 Antenna: Black Bars do what now?
    Set the meter to mega-ohms and test again, just curious!

The problem is that the antenna is bare metal and when you touch an antenna and are standing on the ground, you ground the signal.