Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Went Through Wash

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Went Through Wash
    So I decided I would post this here. Less than 24 hours after getting my iPhone it took a trip through the washing machine AND dryer. Needless to say it was toast. I nearly cred. My baby, that I had waited in line for for about ten hours, forked over an early upgrade fee for, and not to mention she was pretty damn sexy, was gone.

But... that is not the point of this post. I want to share how amazing Apple was here. I have NEVER been much of an Apple fan (if you read my posts you will get that lol), but this blew my mind.

I called my local Apple store, and they said to bring it in. I did that, they checked it out, and told me I could get a new one (32GB btw) for $200! Here I was thinking that it would cost me $700! I was ecstatic. So the employee tells me he needs to go confirm some things with his manager and to please wait. A few minutes later he comes out with a new phone, and tells me he has some good news. He says his manager felt bad for me and would knock $100 off the cost. At this point I was about falling over. So I am an idiot and I break my phone less than a day after launch and you are willing to replace an item that goes for $700 retail for only $100? Wow... There is nothing else I can say other than that this is LITERALLY the best customer service experience I have EVER had ANYWHERE. Thanks Apple for making what was turning out to be one of the crappiest days of the year into something far less painful!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Congrats hope u get a non faulty one.

Thanks

happy for ya dude! sometimes an experience like that opens your eyes to the service that was there all along...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So you paid $599 plus tax for the 16GB early upgrade. It is $699 for the 32GB early upgrade they didn't save you money lol.
    Correct me if I am wrong but $599 + $100 = $699 original early upgrade price for 32GB?

WOW, at least for you they got the iPhone exchanged, but they did not save you $.

Good service for exchange, but do not think money saved come on now.
    Last edited by zmanforever; 2010-06-27 at 09:55 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lucky you

Quote Originally Posted by zmanforever View Post
    So you paid $599 plus tax for the 16GB early upgrade. It is $699 for the 32GB early upgrade they didn't save you money lol.

WOW. At least you got the iPhone exchanged, but they got you good.
    ...guess you missed the part where he paid $200 for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    ...guess you missed the part where he paid $200 for it.
    LOL what about the return of the water damaged 16GB resulting in need of only $100 to do exchange for 32GB?
    Also fact stated that $100 extra taken. FAIL

Good job on the exchange for the store manager, but come on now do the math. If my formula is what happened of course.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So I decided I would post this here. Less than 24 hours after getting my iPhone it took a trip through the washing machine AND dryer. Needless to say it was toast. I nearly cred. My baby, that I had waited in line for for about ten hours, forked over an early upgrade fee for, and not to mention she was pretty damn sexy, was gone.

But... that is not the point of this post. I want to share how amazing Apple was here. I have NEVER been much of an Apple fan (if you read my posts you will get that lol), but this blew my mind.

I called my local Apple store, and they said to bring it in. I did that, they checked it out, and told me I could get a new one (32GB btw) for $200! Here I was thinking that it would cost me $700! I was ecstatic. So the employee tells me he needs to go confirm some things with his manager and to please wait. A few minutes later he comes out with a new phone, and tells me he has some good news. He says his manager felt bad for me and would knock $100 off the cost. At this point I was about falling over. So I am an idiot and I break my phone less than a day after launch and you are willing to replace an item that goes for $700 retail for only $100? Wow... There is nothing else I can say other than that this is LITERALLY the best customer service experience I have EVER had ANYWHERE. Thanks Apple for making what was turning out to be one of the crappiest days of the year into something far less painful!

Please read carefully. Manager said 200 brought down to 100 making it same price if I am correct.

I probably have the exact exchange thing mixed up, but good thing new iPhone 4 came out of it!

I really do not care, what I care about is that you got a working iPhone 4.
    I was on line for 4 hours on the preorder line to get mine.

I think I would be pissed off with a broken iPhone 4.

Off topic someone here pissed on a new iPhone 4 and ruined it, sucks.
    Last edited by zmanforever; 2010-06-27 at 10:16 PM.

Please read carefully. Manager said 200 brought down to 100 making it same price if I am correct.
    *Sighs... Let's do this step by step for you...

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I called my local Apple store, and they said to bring it in. I did that, they checked it out, and told me I could get a new one (32GB btw) for $200!
    Total price paid for new iPhone 4: $200

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    Here I was thinking that it would cost me $700! I was ecstatic. So the employee tells me he needs to go confirm some things with his manager and to please wait. A few minutes later he comes out with a new phone, and tells me he has some good news. He says his manager felt bad for me and would knock $100 off the cost. At this point I was about falling over. So I am an idiot and I break my phone less than a day after launch and you are willing to replace an item that goes for $700 retail for only $100?
    maybe the original poster will chime in...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szfebje View Post
    *Sighs... Let's do this step by step for you...

Total price paid for new iPhone 4: $200

maybe the original poster will chime in...

Read the entire post $200 was never the price because the manager "felt bad" and lowered it to $100.

Early upgrade fees:
    iPhone 4 16GB = $599
    32GB = $699

Returned 16GB which was $599 had to pay extra $100 for the 32GB which is $699.

That is what is sounds like happened to me, but you are wrong $200 was asked for but $100 was taken.

All the posts you seem to not read much. So here to make it simple for you again....

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post

I called my local Apple store, and they said to bring it in. I did that, they checked it out, and told me I could get a new one (32GB btw) for $200! Here I was thinking that it would cost me $700! (MAYBE REFERRING TO 32GB EARLY UPGRADE FEE?) I was ecstatic. So the employee tells me he needs to go confirm some things with his manager and to please wait. A few minutes later he comes out with a new phone, and tells me he has some good news. He says his manager felt bad for me and would knock $100 off the cost. At this point I was about falling over. So I am an idiot and I break my phone less than a day after launch and you are willing to replace an item that goes for $700 retail for only $100? Wow... There is nothing else I can say other than that this is LITERALLY the best customer service experience I have EVER had ANYWHERE. Thanks Apple for making what was turning out to be one of the crappiest days of the year into something far less painful!
    Now do you understand where I am coming from? I do not think the manager can discount an item which is price controlled by Apple & AT&T contracts.

Look at the things I made BOLD for you.

Op what was the price you paid for the iPhone 4 16GB?

Once again I give praise to the store for helping you out OP.
    Last edited by zmanforever; 2010-06-27 at 10:59 PM.

Read the entire post $200 was never the price because the manager "felt bad" and lowered it to $100.

Early upgrade fees:
    iPhone 4 16GB = $599
    32GB = $699

Returned 16GB which was $599 had to pay extra $100 for the 32GB which is $699.

That is what is sounds like happened to me, but you are wrong $200 was asked for but $100 was taken.

All the posts you seem to not read much. So here to make it simple for you again....
    at which point did he ever mention a 16GB iphone?

at which point did he say he paid an unsubsidized price for the first phone?

AT&T bumped all upgrade dates up, meaning that if your contract ended anytime in 2010, you were IMMEDIATELY eligible for the iPhone 4, at SUBSIDIZED pricing, (199/299)

you don't just add your own details to other peoples stories, and push it as fact. smh

Thanks

LoL OP clearly stated upgrade fees paid so no they did not get it for the 199/299 pricing.

You clearly misread thinking $200 was paid.

I made what the OP said bold not adding anything, besides this question. "(MAYBE REFERRING TO 32GB EARLY UPGRADE FEE?)"

Since Op said no price I was guessing about which phone model was purchased. And I always posted that this is only true if I am correct, honestly calm down guy.

OP what did you pay?
    Last edited by zmanforever; 2010-06-27 at 11:08 PM.

Lol, you guys need to slow down.He paid the early upgrade fee on the original iphone4 when he got it....the 2nd one he got for $100 in the end.They just happened to give him the 32gb because that was what he had that got washed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shore View Post
    Lol, you guys need to slow down.He paid the early upgrade fee on the original iphone4 when he got it....the 2nd one he got for $100 in the end.They just happened to give him the 32gb because that was what he had that got washed.
    I still want to know the original price, an exchange took place, not a person walking out with a discounted price.

I know Apple they will not discount especially for a water damaged exchange.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zmanforever For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (2010-06-28)

That's what he was shocked about....they basically warrantied it for him by giving him another one at the upgrade costs...then knocked off $100 just because.Then, to boot, they gave him another 32gb.

I agree it sounds like a stretch but good for him...if true.

I think his original "early upgrade fee" might have been the $18 one...or maybe the $399/$499 price.Pointless either way as he said he only paid another $100 for a 32gb so he wins.

early upgrade fee: $18
    unsubsidized pricing: $599/699
    subsidized pricing: $199/299 (price he most likely paid if his contract ended this year)

/endthread

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Endthread? Under what authority lol. Think the interesting part is, Apple allowed a replacement for $100 instead of saying hey, its water damaged, you have to get a new one for $700. They couldve but ended up saying I feel bad for the poor guy so here's a replacement for $100.

So the regualr pricing for the phone is irrelevant

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

zmanforever (2010-06-28)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Endthread? Under what authority lol. Think the interesting part is, Apple allowed a replacement for $100 instead of saying hey, its water damaged, you have to get a new one for $700. They couldve but ended up saying I feel bad for the poor guy so here's a replacement for $100.

So the regualr pricing for the phone is irrelevant
    Thank you someone see's the obvious missing information to make this myth into reality.

I just want to know what really happened how much was the exchange done for really counting the return of damaged goods for full retail value plus $100 discount?

OP: Hey my phone I just bought it and I washed it and dried it by accident.
    Apple: Bring it in
    OP: Brings in water damaged iPhone
    Apple Manager: I feel bad for you so here is a new one with a $100 off because I can change the price of something which is internationally price controlled.

What type of manager takes such a big hit? If it is true you lucked out.

I am sure it did not happen that way.

LOL come on now. More info is needed.
    Last edited by zmanforever; 2010-06-28 at 12:22 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

True. Need to know what OP paid for the first phone and also need to know which it was (16GB or 32GB).

I also doubt a 16GB was exchanged for a 32GB, that mustve been a 32GB for exchange for the same.

Truth be told, the phone he gave back can easily be fixed by a professional for very minimal expense, so they made an extra $100 off of him. Not that its a bad deal for the OP considering water damaged phones dont usually get replaced and for a mere $100 for a phone of this caliber.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Iphone 4 Early upgrade = $299 for 16GB
    $399 for 32GB

I got the 16GB and oh yes I got the Apple Icare Ins

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Iphone 4 Early upgrade = $299 for 16GB
    $399 for 32GB I got the 16GB and oh yes I got the Apple
    Icare Ins
    No offense but isnt that kind of irrelevant to the topic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast