Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Went Through Wash

It is, but here's the kicker : THE APPLECARE REPLACEMENT FEE IS $200 for out of warranty devices (ergo, water damaged) and you get it when you buy the phone for a year, the 2nd year is an extra $59

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL this is funny.

At the end of the day I paid an extra $100 for the phone than anyone else did. I COULD have been asked to pay an extra $200, but they felt sorry for the poor shmuck who effed up his phone only 24 hours after launch.

Quote Originally Posted by zmanforever View Post
    Thank you someone see's the obvious missing information to make this myth into reality.

I just want to know what really happened how much was the exchange done for really counting the return of damaged goods for full retail value plus $100 discount?

OP: Hey my phone I just bought it and I washed it and dried it by accident.
    Apple: Bring it in
    OP: Brings in water damaged iPhone
    Apple Manager: I feel bad for you so here is a new one with a $100 off because I can change the price of something which is internationally price controlled.

What type of manager takes such a big hit? If it is true you lucked out.

I am sure it did not happen that way.

LOL come on now. More info is needed.
    This is actually exactly how it happened. Almost word for word in fact. I am not sure the "internationally price controlled" thing takes into account that he wasn't just selling me a new phone. This was the cost of replacing one that I broke. If it helps to thin of it another way, they "repaired" my phone for $100, even though it was more of an exchange than a repair. In any case, believe it, or not, it is really up to you. I simply wanted to share with everyone the wonderful service I got from Apple and publicly thank them, especially since I have taken every jab I possibly could at the company.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 2010-06-30 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

you are lucky that you didn't have to pay the whole price for a totally new phone (which with no insurance is impossible @ $100). Therefore you ended up getting a great deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I think the main point here is not about the price he had to pay. He basically got saved from buying a whole new phone. Because last time I looked Apple does not cover washer and dryer damage.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Awesome! I can't really complain about my local apple store

Green Apple
    Thanks
    washer AND dryer? yikes

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    I think the main point here is not about the price he had to pay. He basically got saved from buying a whole new phone. Because last time I looked Apple does not cover washer and dryer damage.
    Yes, but you don't have to pay full retail price for a new phone. It's $200 to replace it, even if your applecare has run out

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LOL this is funny.

At the end of the day I paid an extra $100 for the phone than anyone else did. I COULD have been asked to pay an extra $200, but they felt sorry for the poor shmuck who effed up his phone only 24 hours after launch.

This is actually exactly how it happened. Almost word for word in fact. I am not sure the "internationally price controlled" thing takes into account that he wasn't just selling me a new phone. This was the cost of replacing one that I broke. If it helps to thin of it another way, they "repaired" my phone for $100, even though it was more of an exchange than a repair. In any case, believe it, or not, it is really up to you. I simply wanted to share with everyone the wonderful service I got from Apple and publicly thank them, especially since I have taken every jab I possibly could at the company.
    Sweet, remember I am glad and always cheered in the end of the day scenario you got a working new iPhone 4!

Weird how I guessed It i was being sarcastic, but cool!

I am glad someone showed some humanity in this harsh surcharge world.

First of $18 is an upgrade fee. This stands for any line that is upgraded.

The early upgrade fee (price) for the 32gb would have been 499 ( 699 retail)

So all in all he got a 32gig for the price of an unsubsidized 16 gig (499 plus 100 is 599 ie retail price of 16 gig iPhone 4)

However apple clearly hasn't warrantied water damaged phones in the past so this guy spent 500 for his now broken iPhone and though that to replace it he would have to spend full retail to get one totaling 1200 worth of iPhone. So the fact that he ended up spending 600 in total I say very good deal

Nice to hear about any Co PR

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

People made this thread way more confusing than it needed to be. Thats awesome you got such a good deal on the replacement.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Glad to hear Apple stepped up for you.

On a lighter note: This guy starts the new you tube viral series "Will it Wash and Dry?"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Pro of this thread: OP got a great deal from Apple, kudos to you. Next time take your phone out of your pocket before you do your laundry. lol

Cons: A seemingly endless debate that varied from the point of this story.
    I unfortunately wasted my time reading each thread.
    Previous Phone: AT&T Tilt
    Rom:Phoenix3 Win6.5 -Also Running Android 1.5-
    Radio:1.71.xx.x

Carrier: AT&T

guyz the early upgrade fee for 32GB=$500 then he paid $100 for exchange so in total he paid $600 which is far from the point. I say he hit the lottery cuz I don't see this ever happening again. I'd bet if this manager was found he would be fired or reprimanded.

HAHAHA, you got taken for $100, they warrantied it and pocketed your $100.

Green Apple
    Thanks

^^ and i'm sure if you had an iphone 4 and made the mistake of getting it wet you would gladly pay $100 to replace it. who cares? both parties benefited in one way or another. it really isn't as complex as you people make it. @ op starter.. i'm glad you were able to get a new phone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpura View Post
    ^^ and i'm sure if you had an iphone 4 and made the mistake of getting it wet you would gladly pay $100 to replace it. who cares? both parties benefited in one way or another. it really isn't as complex as you people make it. @ op starter.. i'm glad you were able to get a new phone.
    Yeah man, I am shocked at the ridiculous responses. I was more than happy to replace the phone that I broke due to my own idiocy for a mere $100. Of course Apple still came out on top, but so did I. They could have asked $200, or what ANY OTHER company would have done, asked retail, which in this case is $700.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

yeah, you got out of there pretty good. hopefully i never run in to this situation but if i do, i can only dream of replacing it for $100. hahaha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12