Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buy iPhone 4 outright and no data limit

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Buy iPhone 4 outright and no data limit
    Hi All,

I am sure that if anyone who regularly uses their current iPhone 2G, 3G or 3GS a lot for data usage and are now unhappy with the announcements from various mobile carriers like AT&T, O2, Vodafone, etc, why not do the sums to see if it's actually financially better for you to buy the iPhone 4 outright from the apple store without a contract as oppose to a rather large annual bill for a contract and plus possible charges for overusage of data and just keep your current iPhone contract running as normal, This will also keep your contract on a rolling basis so that next year (summer 2011, assuming the data plan returns to unlimited or more than the current iPhone 4 plans) when a possible iPhone 5th generation would be released you could still have the option to upgrade without having to worry about paying to end your contract early because you would not be starting a new contract now.

This is just my understanding so if anyone has any input to this then please reply so we can give people the best options when they go to buy their new iPhones.

Thanks.

You are only required to sign up for those new data plans if you are a new AT&T customer or if you upgrading from a non smartphone acct.

Ex. I have a 3GS, so if I get the iPhone 4 I can still keep my unlimited plan if I choose to.

OP is correct.

Even though the difference between paying for a phone outright and buying a subsidized one on an expensive contract is negligible, the benefit is in retaining 'unlimited data'.

Just wish the new phone was a bit less expensive to begin with, as it's hard to find 500 upfront.

If I go the sim free route I eventually break even after 24 months. Of course this is when the next big iphone update will come out, so I will never see massive long term returns unless I accept that I will keep iphone 4 for over 2 years.

The only advantage we are talking about here is keeping your current data plan. Once the tariffs change, there is no way of getting unlimited data back until network providers solve all their bandwidth constraints which could be anytime from next year until the end of time
    Last edited by sunbeam83; 2010-06-16 at 02:54 PM.

If you have the 'unlimited' plan you can keep it if you upgrade. Why would you need to buy outright rather than subsidised?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

because to buy it subsidised you need to take out a new contract

new contract means new terms... new terms all limit data usage...

No.
    If you have an existing contract you keep the same terms. This has been made quite clear time and time again.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

hmmm, I don't see what you are misunderstanding here

I agree that if you have an existing contract you keep the same terms, that is undeniable.

If you want to get a new iphone 4, they don't just 'upgrade you', they require that you take out a new 'iphone 4 contract'.

All iphone 4 tariffs have limited data plans.

Which part do you disagree with?

edit: if you can show me the means of upgrading without starting a new contract I am in your debt
    Last edited by sunbeam83; 2010-06-17 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam83 View Post

I agree that if you have an existing contract you keep the same terms, that is undeniable.

If you want to get a new iphone 4, they don't just 'upgrade you', they require that you take out a new 'iphone 4 contract'.

edit: if you can show me the means of upgrading without starting a new contract I am in your debt
    if there was no way to upgrade to iphone 4 from an existing iphone 3gs or 3g contract then why would there be an eligibility for upgrade option? at&t has made many existng 3g and 3gs users eligible to upgrade from 3g and 3gs to 4g with their existing contract. so definitely it s possible to upgrade from 3g and 3s to 4g without taking new connection. its like this for last 3 years i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam83 View Post

All old plans are 'grandfathered' If you take out a new plan for your iPhone 4 you keep your existing data plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Old Plan, new plan
    I just upgraded to iPhone 4 and kept my old unlimited plan in place. However, I did have to commit to 2 additional years with ATT. But, for $300 and no increase in plan cost, or decrease in data usage makes it fine for me. I just hate being tied to them for two more years .

oh i'm sorry, when I saw 'Woking' I assumed you were from the UK.

I don't know what's going on in America, ignore me.

I am in the UK - but I was talking about the AT&T getting rid of their 'unlimited' plans.

ok, well whatever i said above applies only to the UK and specifically o2 contracts

I must admit I didn't realise you were talking about O2 - I was referring to AT&T who I know will let you keep your plan.
    Normally though, when upgrading in the UK you keep your existing plan -is it because you are 'buying out' your old plan that you have to get the new one? Have you confirmed with O2 that that is definitely the case?

nothing to do with buying out I don't think, but you only get subsidised phones from o2 if you take out a new contract. Their new terms and conditions are all data limited, therefore you cannot hold onto your old contract terms if you are wishing to get a 'cheaper' iphone.

provided you are already on an unlimited data plan, or that you sign up to one before 24th june, you will stay on those terms. Buying an iphone outright and swapping your contract to the new microsim will allow you to have an iphone 4 on an 'old' tariff.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok so here's what I have done to keep my unlimited data while getting the iPhone 4, I have sold my old iPhone 2G on mobilephonexchange.co.uk and got 97.00 for it and also because I was due for upgrade in December 2009 and I have not upgraded yet I just upgraded to an iPhone 3GS before 24th June thus preserving my unlimited data for the course of my new contract so now I have sold the brand new 3GS which I dont even need or want on the same mobile recycling website for 244.00 giving me 341.00 to play with plus money that I saved which will easily buy me the iPhone 4 from a nearby Orange store who are selling the iPhone 4 on pay as you go so I can just throw away the Orange pay as you go sim card and continue my new contract using a brand new iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan.

This has already tried and tested by a friend of mine who even told the O2 store employee what he was doing and the employee thought this was a great idea and do that same thing himself, ha ha.