Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Editorial: AT&T.... Reflection on their data "deals".

Thanks

Default Editorial: AT&T.... Reflection on their data "deals".
    Source (Shameless Plug)

------
    I'm no data hog but I'm all for saving money. With that said the price points for these new "deals" are crazy. Right now we have "unlimited" (5GB) for $30 per month. Regardless of the grandfathering the price point is skewed for those who want to save a couple bucks on their bill.

The Current Rate $30 for 5GB is $6 per... gig.
    The New Data Rate $25 for 2GB is $12.5 per gig.

That is about twice the amount per gig for 40% of data usage we currently get.

Now for the 200MB plan.

200 MB = 0.1953125 GB so ~ .2GB

As stated above the current $30 "unlimited plan" is $6 dollars per gig.
    This 200MB plan for $15 is $75 dollars per gig.

That is two and a half times the cost for 4% of data usage we currently get.

I am all for the hogs to pay for their usage but this price tag is ridiculous.. I have been with AT&T since Cellular One it seems to me these plans are the rebirth of Roaming Charges for the 90's

I'd like to cite an argument over my statement on the AT&T Facebook page removing names of course.
    --------------

The Players in this arguement:

K-Wall - Myself.
    **** - an angry internet flamewar tough guy.
    Bystander
    Supporter
    Honorable Debater
    Supporter Two

------------------

****- "Bored are we?"

K-Wall- "no trying to make a valid point as i see you have yet to make. decrease in usage does not promise a "freed network" or the end of dropped calls."

****- "Sorry buddy freeing up badwidth does reduce drop calls I remember AT&T before apple such a wonderful network. So please there is no point I need to prove with people are trying to get a lot for nothing, just leave the damn network."

****- "Tell you if you have home Internet, get a router hook up a few computer have one on hulu than the other on YouTube, than start doing mass downloading on the third computer and see how fast the other two work"

Bystander- "I thought the 200 for $15 was a lot. I thought maybe $5 and then 500mb for $10, 1 gb $20, 2 gb $25, etc We need more tier choices. But I d think they are on the right road. Just need to do a little more."

Supporter- "Thanks [K-Wall!]
    This [****] ****** is really starting to piss me off. It's one thing to have a debate, but it seems you are the "Internet tough guy" trying to piss people off by making smart *** remarks. You don't have to attack somebodies post because they make a GREAT point about the data breakdown cost per gig."

****- "[Supporter] I will be more than happy to meet you if you feel you want to talk **** I will **** u up and that is the truth"

****- "The point is you fucks are mad because there is a cap and you can't abuse the network and than allthis endless crying when you can just go to another network"

****- "Got to spend time with my girl bye bye now girls, I mean babies"

K-Wall- "If you happened to glance at the first post I have been with AT&T since Cellular One. Since the current bandwidth hogs are grandfathered for an undisclosed amount of time how do you expect people to leave the network. They hopped on with their contract and they will have that price until it expires. A contract is two ways bounds the consumer to the company but binds the company to provide the services outlined in the contract. By the time AT&T removes the grandfather clause all the heavy users will have their contract expired ready to leave. The only people screwed are the ones trying to save money and the new customers."

K-Wall- "Anytime [Supporter], I like AT&T and I like my iPhone but anybody in these times needs a break but this isn't providing us anything.

K-Wall- "And to catch up on all your ridiculous post [****] if you run various streaming data at home on your Wi-Fi you are subject to interference from each computers radio broadcast and limitations of the router. Routers can only package so many packets at a time thus not an issue of the internet bogging down but what broadcast it. Same issue with AT&T it is the cell towers acting as high powered routers not the internet hooked to it."

Supporter- "Lmfao... Only an Internet tough guy even talks like this. No doubt he checked to see that I live across the country before making the remark. And by girl I'm pretty sure he was talking about his right hand. Can't type ur weak fb threats and get off to the AT&T logo all at once? It's all good, honestly, I'm more disappointed this country paid you to fight for us than any of this AT&T ********. Lose a little more faith in our government everyday because of people like you."

Honorable Debater- "Or you could look at it this way: person A pays $30 a month for unlimited data, but only uses 100 mb a month. Under the new plan person A will pay $15 a month for 100 mb, thus saving 50% off of their data plan. Instead of looking at the cost per mb or gb, look at the cost of what you are actually using vs what you are paying."

Supporter Two- "att continues to rape there customers and it seems as though they dont want new high value customers. Shame on them"

K-Wall- "While this is a valid argument which I am glad to see presented in a thoughtful manner the individual as you state who uses 100 MB per month should pay 60 cents according to the "unlimited" price point. I do realize that AT&T could not possibly provide such service for that price but in all fairness these new tiers are skewed."

-----------

Valid? Comment Below.
    Last edited by kwall; 2010-06-05 at 04:35 PM.
    Need Assistance? Read Here Tutorial On How to Know Everything

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

upon first read....looks valid to me kwall.

One thing I did notice is that you missed blanking out an F-bomb
    kwickone I.T.H.

How many more threads do we need on this subject.
    It's about time the US caught up with the rest of the world and will be able to offer a better service to the vast majority of their customers.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

This tread focused on a different look at this issue.

It is putting forward a very spurious and flawed argument, but even if you do believe this rates it's own thread, how is it 'news'?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Thank you for your comment. First in regards to the news portion of your reply I'd like to use a simple analogy. Most people have three to four local news stations. When it comes the any kind of news (national or local) there is normally overlap from station to station. However each individual station might focus on a different aspect of the particular story which is what I did here.

Second to the use of your adjectives spurious and flawed to describe my original post. I fail to see where either of those words describe the argument. To disprove spurious and the so called false facts behind this I merely took the existing numbers and presented them in a cost per gigabyte manner. The old adage you can only compare apples to apples applies here. This is showing the disparity between the rates and how the $15 package seems to be skewed in the amount of data provided. To the adjective flawed I again fail to see where this is flawed as I simply took the numbers and gave a break down. I will not rule out that this argument may be flawed however at this current moment in time the whole flawed part of this discussion is you stating that this argument is flawed without the supporting reasoning or approach you took to arrive to that conclusion.
    Last edited by kwall; 2010-06-06 at 04:36 PM.

Try learning some basic economics.
    I try and help with iPhones but teaching just basic economics should not be done here.

Thanks

I have been through a college economics course. So merely state which topic area this reaches upon. Instead of being so vague explain yourself.

You have studied economics and have no idea of fixed and variable costs?
    I really don't want to waste my time on this.
    Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    How many more threads do we need on this subject.
    It's about time the US caught up with the rest of the world and will be able to offer a better service to the vast majority of their customers.
    Just curious. How is reducing a level of service providing better service? By reducing the possible level from 5 gigs to 2 for a $5.00 price reduction? At least in my area, I do not have problems with slow data or dropped calls. Pretty much always have 5 bars too. It's immaterial to me as I plan on staying on the unlimited plan, use it to it's max or not. I'm also not quite sure how reducing a level of service equates to the US catching up with the rest of the world.

Thanks

You my sir are talking in circles. I am well aware of fixed cost, variable, opportunity cost, factor markets and the like. I fail to see where fixed and variable cost come into play here in this discussion. You take well after the name your user name is taken after Confucius which is awkwardly misspelled wrong for a man who speaks in riddles so well. The wise Confucius taught in riddles but the keyword in that statement is taught. You have failed to bring to light what you mean by your posts.
    Last edited by kwall; 2010-06-07 at 01:49 AM.