Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: April 30th is Jailbreak Celebration Day: Untethered Jailbreak for all iDevices

Default April 30th is Jailbreak Celebration Day: Untethered Jailbreak for all iDevices

The "Spirit" is in the air. Can you feel it?

Tomorrow we will see the iPad 3G shipping out to many customers across North America. After some sketchy shipping estimates, it was skeptical at first, but the iPad 3G is indeed shipping out on April 30th.

Not only will we be receiving the iPad 3G, but we will also be receiving the first 'userland' jailbreak since firmware 1.x. The Jailbreak tool is dubbed "Spirit" and was was first demonstrated working on an iPad by @MuscleNerd within 24 hours of the iPadís release.

Unfortunately userland jailbreaks are not always the best way to go about releasing Jailbreaking tools as they expose security weaknesses in the device even for non-jailbroken devices. So as per usual, you'll want to make sure your SHSH files have been backed up, so that if Apple closes any security holes, you have the ability downgrade if needed.

And here's the big one for all you 3GS users. This jailbreak will be UNTETHERED! Yup, that's right! Untethered jailbreak will now be officially bestowed upon you.

This jailbreak tool will not include a carrier unlock, which is no surprise, however, the phone will need to be activated or hacktivated for Spirit to work.

So hold on to your hats, April 30th is right around the corner.

Source: DevTeam
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 2010-04-30 at 03:51 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

black_orchid (2010-05-01)

Thanks

....now to wait and see how many are gonna complain about this!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandonii's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't wait!

WOW either im dum, or just lost, but r u trying to say there will be a new jailbreak for 3GS? and unlock? for what firmware? 3.1.3?

this is for 3.1.3, right? and will it work with iTunes 9.1.1?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Thanks

although Comex said last night that he would release Friday, today it seems it's being pushed back to let people who get ipad 3g a change to save their SHSH before apple patches.

"comex
    Works for all *activated* iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches. Not Friday."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to katmeef For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-04-30)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Nick... Do you know something we don't? As of a couple hours ago comex specifically tweeted this will not get released tomorrow but the delay won't be more than "a few days."

im not educated enough yet on the Spirit jailbreak. who and what devices would mostly benefit with this type of exploit? other than a 3GS.
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks
    Wrong. Comex has delayed the release of "spirit" jailbreak this Friday. This decision came after Comex read a year old article about how quick Apple was at patching a security hole in firmware

Sorry guys. Just going over the devteams blog. Delivery of ipad 3g on the 30th is confirmed. So I only assumed that the "release with ipad 3g" meant that same day.

Quote Originally Posted by 360psp View Post
    WOW either im dum, or just lost, but r u trying to say there will be a new jailbreak for 3GS? and unlock? for what firmware? 3.1.3?
    Yes there will be a new jailbreak for the 3GS, no unlock, and i believe it's 3.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Nick... Do you know something we don't? As of a couple hours ago comex specifically tweeted this will not get released tomorrow but the delay won't be more than "a few days."
    The Dev Team posted on their twitter it will come out tomorrow, i posted it on member written news:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/member-writ...ut-spirit.html
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Ok im kind of confused here. I have an iPhone 3GS and its jailbroken using blackrain on 3.1.2. The question that im asking now is whats the difference of JB from blackrain then it is with this Spirit one? And what do you mean UNTETHERED jailbrake? Isnt it already Untethered? Sorry im kinda confused now. I can understand if this is for 3.1.3, but its making it seem like this is something totally different then what Im on now?

Quote Originally Posted by CsSxPlay3r View Post
    Ok im kind of confused here. I have an iPhone 3GS and its jailbroken using blackrain on 3.1.2. The question that im asking now is whats the difference of JB from blackrain then it is with this Spirit one? And what do you mean UNTETHERED jailbrake? Isnt it already Untethered? Sorry im kinda confused now. I can understand if this is for 3.1.3, but its making it seem like this is something totally different then what Im on now?
    New bootrom users like me have tethered jailbreak where when we reboot we use the computer

Okay, a question.

I'm currently unjailbroken (3GS, 3.1.2), and I really don't want to jailbreak for another few weeks (long story), but will definitely want to then.

What this means is that I need to have some guaranteed method of restoring to 3.1.3, in case Apple releases a patch between now and then. The problem? The only way I know of backing up SHSH files is through Cydia, which requires me to be jailbroken in the first place, which like I mentioned is currently not an option.

So, how can I back up my SHSH files locally, without needing Cydia?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Firmware Umbrella to create a local copy

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Sorry guys. Just going over the devteams blog. Delivery of ipad 3g on the 30th is confirmed. So I only assumed that the "release with ipad 3g" meant that same day.
    never ever assume a jailbreak will be released on the same day as a device is released. That's just stupid. It takes a ton of work to prepare and implement a jailbreak for a new device, not to mention testing. The iPhone Dev Team blog never said it would be released tomorrow, they said it would be released "after the iPad3g launch (don't ask when)".

For everyone else asking, it will benefit iPhone3gs users (with new bootrom), iPod Touch 2g users (MC model with new bootrom), iPod Touch 3g users, iPad Wifi models, and iPad3g models.

Comex is still relatively new to the jailbreak scene, he hasn't learned the no ETA rule yet, but we're all working hard to make sure it's released as soon as possible.

EDIT:
    btw, it will be for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. people with unlocked iPhone3gs should stick to 3.1.2 to keep their unlocks, but can still use spirit with 3.1.2 to untether their jailbreak, and if you don't know what an tethered jailbreak is then you probably don't need this.
    Last edited by posixninja; 2010-04-30 at 04:11 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to posixninja For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2010-04-30)

wish we had a steady answer for this.. is it tomorrow for sure or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast